Re: Re: Switch Schemes for Reliability

Subject:    Re: Re: Switch Schemes for Reliability
From:    Ken Ryan (keninalaska@gmail.com)
Date:    Wed May 01 - 12:52 PM
Bob,

I think your idea for a single expandable drawing makes a lot of sense. I
envision an edition of the Connnection that uses the simplest possible
version of the drawing to explain basic concepts, and then expands it to
include more features and teach more concepts.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 4:11=AFPM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <
nuckolls.bob@aeroelectric.com> wrote:

> [...]
>    system only adds to the number of devices
>    that beg for $time$ to maintain airworthiness
>    for yet another commodity . . . a thing
>    that begins to degrade, be consumed the day you
>    installed it. Tires, drive belts, engine oil, propeller
>    blades, FUEL, etc are all things we fuss over
>    every flight as a matter of course . . . walk-around
>    during pre-flight is drilled into us from
>    day-one. But my flight instructor never said
>    a peep about batteries.
>
>    For as long as I can recall reading the
>    dark-n-stormy-night narratives in the aviation
>    rags, pilots who survived the dark-panel-syndrome
>    never once suggested that the battery in
>    their airplane was not properly evaluated,
>    maintained or utilized for comfortable
>    completion of flight under the circumstances
>    they experienced.
>
>    It's easy to debate 'reliability' at length
>    and with great enthusiasm. It's tempting
>    to pile on 'back-ups' at the risk of increasing
>    weight, cost of ownership and complexity of operation
>    . . . complexity that only work against 'aviate, navigate,
>    communicate' when things are not going well in the
>    cockpit.
>
>    I'll suggest a FOURTH feature in the famous
>    axiom for emergency management: 'First aviate,
>    then navigate, then communicate, but last and
>    certainly least, FIDDLE WITH STUFF ON THE PANEL'.
>
>    Having a battery 'go cold' is the final chapter
>    in a litany of failures that PRECEDE loss of the
>    the battery. Things over which we have absolute
>    control.
>
>    I've not forgotten about you guys. The new
>    crowbar OVM project is sitting on the bench
>    waiting for a window of opportunity amongst other
>    matters. Additionally, we need to spool up
>    the discussion on Figure Z-101.  I'm increasingly
>    of the opinion that Z-101 should be the ONLY
>    z-figure in any 'upgrade' to the connection.
>
>    It has the opportunity of being the legos/
>    tinkertoy/modular plug-n-play system with options
>    that adress EVERY electrical system configuration
>    requirement from ultra-light to LA-IVP with all
>    the 'goodies'.
>
>    But we need a cogent, convincing narrative to
>    accompany Z-101 . . . a option/by/option
>    account of when, why and how any particular
>    feature should be considered.
>
> >Recently I spotted a document from a well known brand of EFII
> >recommending an Essential Bus backed up with a Aux Battery
> >and simple switch to connect it.
>
>   Yeah, Klaus was of similar opinion when I met
>   him back in '86 . . . and in all years since. So
>   to have MOST producers of really slick electro-whizzies
>   in years since. It's really easy to suggest that
>   "adding back up to keep MY miracle product
>   powered and happy" is a good thing to do . . .
>   but I'll wager that few if any have brought
>   the forces of experience and thoughtful Failure
>   Mode Effects Analysis to bear on their recommendations.
>
>   The goal: craft and maintain a system with an
>   extremely high probability of bringing
>   you home without breaking a sweat. Every

==
=========

>    In the interest of creative evolution
>    for the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
>    on physics and repeatable experiment.

Other Matronics Email List Services

  • Post A New Message
  •   AeroElectric-List@matronics.com
  • UN/SUBSCRIBE
  •   http://www.matronics.com/subscription
  • List FAQ
  •   http://www.matronics.com/FAQ/AeroElectric-List.htm
  • Full Archive Search Engine
  •   http://www.matronics.com/search
  • 7-Day List Browsing
  •   http://www.matronics.com/browse
  • Browse the List Digests
  •   http://www.matronics.com/digest
  • Live Online Chat!
  •   http://www.matronics.com/chat
  • Archive Downloading
  •   http://www.matronics.com/archives
  • Photo Share
  •   http://www.matronics.com/photoshare
  • Other Email Lists
  •   http://www.matronics.com/emaillists
  • Contributions
  •   http://www.matronics.com/contributions

    These Email List Services are sponsored solely by Matronics and through the generous contributions of its members.

    -- Please support this service by making your Contribution today! --