Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

750 Cruise vs 701 Cruise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith750-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggower_99(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: 750 Cruise vs 701 Cruise. Reply with quote

The 701 is NOT a hotrod! Is a great STOL airplane

Here one of the builders made a set of wheel pants for his 701, sure that with the fairings in the struts, the wheel pants and fairings in the fuselage-strut, wind-strut areas, he got (testing) a real cruise of about 95 to 98 mph at 5,100 rpm (Rotax 912S). that is about 10 mph more that our 701 "dirty as the plans" Smile

Ours cruise (at) 87 to 90 near gross (2 pilots, full tanks and some luggage).
NOTE: Take off alt 5,000 ft ASL our normal cruise alt from 9,500 to 11,500 ft ASL.

BUT he needed to "repitch" his Warp Drive prop, and his take off roll was longer than ours for about 20% in our grass strip... (He wanted a STOL, not a C150)
NOW he repitch it back to same take off distance as ours, cruises at our speed (about 90) and (good news) now increased HIS Gasoline range about 20% (same trips as ours).
To get 98 - 100 as before in level flight, he needs to redline his engine at 5700 !!! (he did once), so no good.

So his "Girlie" 701 had a benefit for him at least, not is speed but in gas range Smile
Is the 701 with a matching colors VW in the Zenith photos.

Speed, climb and economy is not only fairings, the prop (ground adjustable) is also very important and limitant.

Hope this helps.

Saludos
Gary Gower.
Flying from Chapala, Mexico
701 912S "Macho STOL" Smile 240 hrs and counting.

--- On Fri, 1/30/09, FlyGuyTililDie <flyguytilidie(at)aol.com> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Re: 750 Cruise vs 701 Cruise
To: zenith750-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
--> Zenith750-List message posted by: "FlyGuyTililDie"
<flyguytilidie(at)aol.com>

While browsing the picture galleries on Zenithair.com website, I noticed a few
701s with wheel pants. Does anybody know how much this might help with cruise
speeds? Does anybody know which manufacturer they were using?

Just curious. Not sure I'd do it unless it yielded 10 extra mph because of
how girlie it looks.

do not archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 27700#227700

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith750-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith750-List
ricklach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 750 Cruise vs 701 Cruise. Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

I’ve had this conversation for years with Cub drivers and Pacer Drivers up in Alaska. They have this concept that because there airplane is set up for Busy (STOL) flying they should take off all the fairings and do-dads that streamline the airplane. Because they fly low and slow they think they don’t need them anymore. When it come to wheel pants you and they are right. They must go and boy do they look out of place on a 701(sorry all you guys with wheel pants on your 701s, but that’s my opinion). So anything that helps make an airplane clean and more aero dynamic is a plus, so long as it dose not detract from the job of STOL/Bush flying. I fly out of an 800ft strip at 6500ft altitude with 70Ft pine trees at 1300 feet from the point you start your roll. I want anything and everything that will allow my plane to get to speed as fast as possible. Strut fairings work great. Why give up any performance that helps accomplish your goal.

Question for the group: Has anyone ever seen a 701 or even an 801 with a nice clean fairing between the top of the fuselage to the Horizontal Stabilizer? It currently looks like an aero dynamic mess to me.

Rick

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ggower_99(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: 750 Cruise vs 701 Cruise. Reply with quote

Hello Rick,

We (Larry my brother and myself) had the idea to add some "cleaning" to out 701 once is flying... But happens the same as the guys that will "paint it one of this days", is so much fun flying it and we has so little no flyable weekends here, that is dificult to find the time off to do the improvements.

Here the most time we can not fly in a constant matter is about two months in the July to October range, depends in the cuantity of the storms in our raining season. The grass strip gets too wet and we can destroy it with the wheels.
But if there is no rain since Thursday, then Saturday or Sunday can be flyable, last year (2008) season we had only 4 non flyable weekends during the season (july-oct) , 2007 we had only ONE flyable weekend in the hole season! Was a very rainy season that year.

So now is hard to work all week and spend saturday working on the plane instead of flying. with the down time for the normal mantainance and the "family's parties", we have enough... Smile
Our weather forcast for this winter week:
http://tinyurl.com/dh4pre
[url=http://ocCode=CHAX&zipCode=326272476885][/url]

Probably during the test time of the 601 XL we could ground the 701 a few weeks and do the fairings.

A advice to builders. Try to do all the improvements to your plane before it flys, same to the single (or divorced) builders, buy all your toys before you get (re)married, later will be several times more dificult... if you are allowded. Smile  Smile

Saludos
Gary Gower.
Do not archive.

--- On Sat, 1/31/09, ricklach <rick(at)ravengear.us> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Re: 750 Cruise vs 701 Cruise.
To: zenith750-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
--> Zenith750-List message posted by: "ricklach"
<rick(at)ravengear.us>

Hi Gary,

I’ve had this conversation for years with Cub drivers and Pacer Drivers
up in Alaska. They have this concept that because there airplane is set up for
Busy (STOL) flying they should take off all the fairings and do-dads that
streamline the airplane. Because they fly low and slow they think they
don’t need them anymore. When it come to wheel pants you and they are
right. They must go and boy do they look out of place on a 701(sorry all you
guys with wheel pants on your 701s, but that’s my opinion). So anything
that helps make an airplane clean and more aero dynamic is a plus, so long as it
dose not detract from the job of STOL/Bush flying. I fly out of an 800ft strip
at 6500ft altitude with 70Ft pine trees at 1300 feet from the point you start
your roll. I want anything and everything that will allow my plane to get to
speed as fast as possible. Strut fairings work great. Why give up any
performance that helps accomplish your goal.

Question for the group: Has anyone ever seen a 701 or even an 801 with a nice
clean fairing between the top of the fuselage to the Horizontal Stabilizer? It
currently looks like an aero dynamic mess to me.

Rick

--------
Rick
N35 26.700, W118 16.743

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=227876#227876

[quote][b]

Rhino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 750 Cruise vs 701 Cruise. Reply with quote

ricklach wrote:
Question for the group: Has anyone ever seen a 701 or even an 801 with a nice clean fairing between the top of the fuselage to the Horizontal Stabilizer? It currently looks like an aero dynamic mess to me.

I've never seen anyone try that. It wouldn't be that hard to do. But since you could only fair in the forward section, I wonder if less drag will be caused by creating a turbulent zone behind the fairing or just letting it pass through as the current design does. The fairing could theoretically be extended further aft but then you'd be covering up at least one hinge point that you really should be able to see during preflight. Interesting idea though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith750-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: