Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vernatherm stuck open?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

Folks,

I think my Vernatherm is stuck in the open position allowing oil to always flow through the oil cooler.

Here's the basis for my thinking:

In October during some of my flights, I was seeing OAT's of 35 and 40 with corresponding OilT's of 174 and 179.

In November during one flight I had OAT of 62 and OilT of 177 - I stopped and had lunch - during the flight home, I had OAT of 65 and OilT of 146. Yes plenty of time for it to have warmed up...and no, I didn't change anything on the airplane during lunch.

All flights after that one have had OAT's in the 50's and 60's with OilT's not breaking 140.

Your thoughts please... How do I unstick the Vernatherm? Is it possible that during lunch that day, my rings seated and my engine finished its break-in process?

Thanks,
Ralph
RV6A N822AR (at) N06 46.3 hrs - happy with the CHT's, found something else buggin' me

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Kellym

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

The Vernatherm doesn't work that way. It has an expanding salt/wax
inside and expands with temperature until it closes the bypass opening.
There are published dimensions, so you can remove the vernatherm,
measure its length and see whether it is at the expanded dimension or
cold dimension. You also could just create a cover for your oil cooler
with say 50% as big an opening as the cooler itself, and see if it makes
a difference, watching to see oil doesn't get too hot.

Ralph E. Capen wrote:
Quote:

Folks,

I think my Vernatherm is stuck in the open position allowing oil to always flow through the oil cooler.

Here's the basis for my thinking:

In October during some of my flights, I was seeing OAT's of 35 and 40 with corresponding OilT's of 174 and 179.

In November during one flight I had OAT of 62 and OilT of 177 - I stopped and had lunch - during the flight home, I had OAT of 65 and OilT of 146. Yes plenty of time for it to have warmed up...and no, I didn't change anything on the airplane during lunch.

All flights after that one have had OAT's in the 50's and 60's with OilT's not breaking 140.

Your thoughts please... How do I unstick the Vernatherm? Is it possible that during lunch that day, my rings seated and my engine finished its break-in process?

Thanks,
Ralph
RV6A N822AR (at) N06 46.3 hrs - happy with the CHT's, found something else buggin' me

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

Can anyone provide the published dimensions - or point to the publication they are published in?

I have some pubs - but don't know where to look...

Thanks,
Ralph

--

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

I found a couple different measurements, but haven't found the specs yet
cold: 3.800" hot:4.031"

diff: 0.231 (3/16" = 0.1876")
The Vernaterm should extend at least 0.160" Between 150 F and 185 F (the
temperature stamped on the Vernatherm 85 C ).
These are individual opinions or measurements..I'm still looking for
something official.

Ralph E. Capen wrote:
[quote]

Can anyone provide the published dimensions - or point to the publication they are published in?

I have some pubs - but don't know where to look...

Thanks,
Ralph

--

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

Good starting place - thanks....

--

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that if the Vernatherm seems to be working, but oil
temps are too high, you can try substituting the Continental vernatherm
gasket in place of the Lycoming gasket, as the TCM part is half as thick
and would allow the vernatherm to close off the bypass at a cooler temp.

Ralph E. Capen wrote:
[quote]

Good starting place - thanks....

--

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

I have the opposite problem...oil temps too low!

My engine builder has indicated that the vernatherm won't completely block flow to the cooler so there will always be some cooling action.

--

PeterHunt1(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

Ralph,

Ralph, your problem is more likely a failed temperature gauge or failed temperature sender than a problem with your Vernatherm. Are they Van's gauges? Van's instruments/gauges fail frequently. I replace at least one of my Van's gauges every 12 months. Van's gauges are inexpensive, but prone to failures. Sometimes the failures are only partial. For example, I just replaced my Van's tachometer gauge which was reading 340 rpm too low.

Pete in Clearwater
RV-6 completed in 2005
[quote][b]

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Vernatherm stuck open? Reply with quote

Pete,

My guages are part of an Advanced Flight Systems 3400 Engine Monitor....but I will be pulling the temp sensor and vernatherm and dunking them in boiling oil/water to test and compare with a candy thermometer during my conditional later this month.

I'll let folks know the results....

Thanks,
Ralph
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: