Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ramp check

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilotdds(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

While taxiing up for fuel at DVT I was ramp checked by a FAA rep.He had me produce my medical, pilot certificate,flight instructor certificate,registration,airworthiness certificate,weight and balance info and signed by the FAA flight manual-all was in order in the SR-22 I was flying.Do are experimentals require an approved manual ?
Must they be signed by the FAA?
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ricksked(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

Hey Doc,
I was reading the FAR’s last night about this just for grits and shins. I understand you need your pilot cert, medical, W&B and a POH. I could not find anything else. My Weight and Balance is on my AFS -3500, I don’t calc one on paper, just plug in the numbers on the EFIS….that may be a good question in the future. I do have W & B info on paper …many of them from flight test but the EFIS is my main way of computing it…Need to make sure I plug it in on every flight now too huh?

Rick S.
N246RS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of pilotdds(at)aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:04 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: ramp check

While taxiing up for fuel at DVT I was ramp checked by a FAA rep.He had me produce my medical, pilot certificate,flight instructor certificate,registration,airworthiness certificate,weight and balance info and signed by the FAA flight manual-all was in order in the SR-22 I was flying.Do are experimentals require an approved manual ?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

The requirement is for the empty weight paperwork from which
you would do the weight and balance calcs for fuel,
passengers, and baggage, not the calculations for each
flight. The rationale is that you couldn't do the
calculations without a starting point. It would avoid some
hassle if you had the W&B along with a CG envelope in your
owner/operators manual, which you should write.
Linn

Rick wrote:
Quote:
Hey Doc,

I was reading the FAR’s last night about this just for grits and shins.
I understand you need your pilot cert, medical, W&B and a POH. I could
not find anything else. My Weight and Balance is on my AFS -3500, I
don’t calc one on paper, just plug in the numbers on the EFIS….that may
be a good question in the future. I do have W & B info on paper …many of
them from flight test but the EFIS is my main way of computing it…Need
to make sure I plug it in on every flight now too huh?

Rick S.

N246RS

[mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of
*pilotdds(at)aol.com
*Sent:* Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:04 PM
*To:* rv10-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* ramp check

While taxiing up for fuel at DVT I was ramp checked by a FAA rep.He had
me produce my medical, pilot certificate,flight instructor
certificate,registration,airworthiness certificate,weight and balance
info and signed by the FAA flight manual-all was in order in the SR-22 I
was flying.Do are experimentals require an approved manual ?

*http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List*

*http://forums.matronics.com*

*http://www.matronics.com/contribution*

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

I don't think there is any requirement for a POH for EAB aircraft. However, you must have your Operating Limitations that were issued by the DAR, on board. I don't think that is in the FAR's but should be in your Operating Limitations.

David Maib
Flying

On Jan 12, 2010, at 9:24 PM, Rick wrote:
Hey Doc,
I was reading the FAR’s last night about this just for grits and shins. I understand you need your pilot cert, medical, W&B and a POH. I could not find anything else. My Weight and Balance is on my AFS -3500, I don’t calc one on paper, just plug in the numbers on the EFIS….that may be a good question in the future. I do have W & B info on paper …many of them from flight test but the EFIS is my main way of computing it…Need to make sure I plug it in on every flight now too huh?

Rick S.
N246RS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of pilotdds(at)aol.com (pilotdds(at)aol.com)
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV10-List: ramp check

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

dave.saylor.aircrafters(a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

There's no requirement for a POH.  Some inspectors strongly suggest you have at least a checklist but if someone really wants to go without, there's nothing stopping them.

You do have to carry the weight and balance data:  empty weight, gross weight, and cg limits.  All of that is in the AFS EFIS but I don't know if counts as official.  It should.
Dave Saylor
AirCrafters LLC
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA 95076
831-722-9141 Shop
831-750-0284 Cell

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:00 PM, David Maib <dmaib(at)mac.com (dmaib(at)mac.com)> wrote:
[quote] I don't think there is any requirement for a POH for EAB aircraft. However, you must have your Operating Limitations that were issued by the DAR, on board. I don't think that is in the FAR's but should be in your Operating Limitations.

David Maib
Flying

Hey Doc,
I was reading the FAR’s last night about this just for grits and shins. I understand you need your pilot cert, medical, W&B and a POH.  I could not find anything else. My Weight and Balance is on my AFS -3500, I don’t calc one on paper, just plug in the numbers on the EFIS….that may be a good question in the future. I do have W & B info on paper …many of them from flight test but the EFIS is my main way of computing it…Need to make sure I plug it in on every flight now too huh?

Rick S.
N246RS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of pilotdds(at)aol.com (pilotdds(at)aol.com)
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:04 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: ramp check

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[b]

David Shelton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ramp check Reply with quote

While it is advisable to carry a POH, it is not legally required for all aircraft. With the exception of some older airplanes, the type certificate for a certified airplane usually requires a POH to be carried.

With an experimental airplane, there is obviously no type certificate that would require a POH. You only have to carry a POH if required by the operating limitations that were issued with your airworthiness certificate. Of course... a POH is handy to have either way.

As a side note, we once got a COA to operate a small hand-launched UAV. The FAA wanted heaps of documentation on board, even though nobody would be in the aircraft to read it. We ended up putting everything on a memory stick and mounting it inside the fuselage with velcro!

ricksked(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

David,You need the operating limitations after the test period? I swore that the POH requirement didn't exclude experimentals but seemed inclusive to all aircraft Now I have to re read the book...and I don't have to use the restroom!!Rick S
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: David Maib <dmaib(at)mac.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:00:45 -0500
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: RV10-List: ramp check

I don't think there is any requirement for a POH for EAB aircraft. However, you must have your Operating Limitations that were issued by the DAR, on board. I don't think that is in the FAR's but should be in your Operating Limitations.

David Maib
Flying

Hey Doc,
I was reading the FAR’s last night about this just for grits and shins. I understand you need your pilot cert, medical, W&B and a POH.  I could not find anything else. My Weight and Balance is on my AFS -3500, I don’t calc one on paper, just plug in the numbers on the EFIS….that may be a good question in the future. I do have W & B info on paper …many of them from flight test but the EFIS is my main way of computing it…Need to make sure I plug it in on every flight now too huh?

Rick S.
N246RS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of pilotdds(at)aol.com (pilotdds(at)aol.com)
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:04 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV10-List: ramp check

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ricksked(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

Linn,
So....since all my weights, arms and moments are in the EFIS....I satisfy that requirement right? Or (surprise) the guvment who is here to hep us needs a sheet of paper?

Rick
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

--

ricksked(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

That's funny!!! Or maybe sad depending on how you look at it
---

ricksked(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> Good info...Looks like I'll be making up and envelope with all that information...I .need to drop a few more pounds so an 8 X 11 covers my behind!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Dave Saylor <dave.saylor.aircrafters(at)gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:25:14 -0800
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: RV10-List: ramp check

There's no requirement for a POH.=A0 Some inspectors strongly suggest y= ou have at least a checklist but if someone really wants to go without, the= re's nothing stopping them.

You do have to carry the weight and = balance data:=A0 empty weight, gross weight, and cg limits.=A0 All of that = is in the AFS EFIS but I don't know if counts as official.=A0 It should= .
Dave Saylor
AirCrafters LLC
140 Aviation Way
Wat= sonville, CA 95076
831-722-9141 Shop
831-750-0284 Cell

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:00 PM, David M= aib <dmaib(at)mac.com> wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is any requirement for a POH for EAB aircraft. Howe= ver, you must have your Operating Limitations that were issued by the DAR, = on board. I don't think that is in the FAR's but should be in your = Operating Limitations.

David Maib
Flying

</= div>

On Jan 12, 2010, at 9:= 24 PM, Rick wrote:
Hey Doc,
I was reading the FAR=92s last night about this just for gr= its and shins. I understand you need your pilot cert, medical, W&B and = a POH.=A0 I could not find anything else. My Weight and Balance is on my AF= S -3500, I don=92t calc one on paper, just plug in the numbers on the EFIS= =85.that may be a good question in the future. I do have W & B info on = paper =85many of them from flight test but the EFIS is my main way of compu= ting it=85Need to make sure I plug it in on every flight now too huh?
=A0
Rick S.
N246RS
=A0
From:=A0owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics= .com ([email]owner-rv10-li= st-server(at)matronics.com[/email]) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)]=A0On Behalf Of=A0[/b]pilotdds(at)aol.com (pilotdds(at)aol.com)
Sent:=A0Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:04 PM
To:= =A0rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject:=A0RV10-List: = ramp check

=A0

While taxiing up for fuel at DVT I was ramp checked by a FAA rep.He had me = produce my medical, pilot certificate,flight instructor certificate,registr= ation,airworthiness certificate,weight and balance info and signed by the F= AA flight manual-all was in order in the SR-22 I was flying.Do are experime= ntals require an approved manual ?
Must they be signed by the FAA?=

Quote:
=A0

=A0=

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Li=
st
</=
span>
http://forums.matronics.com=
[/quote]0
Quote:
=
Quote:
=
Quote:
=
Quote:
=
Quote:
=
Quote:
=

Quote:
=

[b]

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

We're talking about an agency that prevents you from adding
safety equipment to a certified aircraft ... which is why
the experimental category is expanding so rapidly.

I don't know if the EFIS data is acceptable or not. It's
just so much easier to show the guy the paper and avoid any
conflict. If the guy really wants to bust your balls, he'll
find something that you have to respond to and waste a lot
of time on. Remember "we're not happy 'till you're not
happy"?? I've been through the mill once, and I don't want
to do it again.
Linn

ricksked(at)cox.net wrote:
[quote]

Linn, So....since all my weights, arms and moments are in
the EFIS....I satisfy that requirement right? Or
(surprise) the guvment who is here to hep us needs a
sheet of paper?

Rick Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

--

dave.saylor.aircrafters(a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

Linn's right, one piece of paper to back up what's on the EFIS keeps everybody happy.  I wouldn't even confuse the issue with the EFIS W&B.

And yeah, you're supposed to keep the op limits attached to the AW cert from now on.
Dave Saylor
AirCrafters LLC
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA 95076
831-722-9141 Shop
831-750-0284 Cell

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Linn Walters <pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net (pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> RV10-List message posted by: Linn Walters <pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net (pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net)>

We're talking about an agency that prevents you from adding safety equipment to a certified aircraft ... which is why the experimental category is expanding so rapidly.

I don't know if the EFIS data is acceptable or not.  It's just so much easier to show the guy the paper and avoid any conflict.  If the guy really wants to bust your balls, he'll find something that you have to respond to and waste a lot of time on.  Remember "we're not happy 'till you're not happy"??  I've been through the mill once, and I don't want to do it again.
Linn

ricksked(at)cox.net (ricksked(at)cox.net) wrote:
[quote] --> RV10-List message posted by: ricksked(at)cox.net (ricksked(at)cox.net)

Linn, So....since all my weights, arms and moments are in
the EFIS....I satisfy that requirement right? Or
(surprise) the guvment who is here to hep us needs a
sheet of paper?

Rick Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

--

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: ramp check Reply with quote

My Phase 1 operating limitations state in Para. 1 that the ops lims must be carried in the aircraft at all times. Then, the first para. of my Phase II operating limitations list all of the phase 1 limitations that are still in effect for Phase II. This includes Para. 1 of my phase 1 limitations.I have a nice POH (plagiarized from others on this list ^_^) but my DAR told that while it is a good thing to have, it is not required.
David Maib
Flying

On Jan 12, 2010, at 11:28 PM, ricksked(at)cox.net (ricksked(at)cox.net) wrote:
David,
You need the operating limitations after the test period? I swore that the POH requirement didn't exclude experimentals but seemed inclusive to all aircraft Now I have to re read the book...and I don't have to use the restroom!!

Rick S
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: David Maib <dmaib(at)mac.com (dmaib(at)mac.com)>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:00:45 -0500
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: Re: ramp check

David Maib
Flying

Hey Doc,

Rick S.
N246RS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of pilotdds(at)aol.com (pilotdds(at)aol.com)
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: ramp check

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: