Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sun Visor user reports and comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Sun Visor user reports and comparison Reply with quote

I originally installed the sun visors from Aviation Tech Products in my RV10 back in 2011.  They worked well.  There is a full range of adjustment including protection from sun on the side windows when needed.  The only problem I ran into over time is that the mounting required periodic tightening of the mounting bolt.  After 6+ years, the passenger side visor tended to droop during rough field landings (my home base is a bumpy grass field) and could no longer be tightened enough to keep it in place during those landings.
As a 1,000 hour present, I decided to give my '10 a set of Rosen Visors simply to fix the occasional droop.  That seems like a nit of a problem but after 1,000 hours, cockpit comfort and convenience issues tend to stand out.  The more expensive Rosen Visor is a more robust product in terms of the their mounting hardware and design.  Most notably, the Rosen uses 2 bolts to mount to the airframe where the Aviation Tech Visor uses 1 bolt.  This, along with the rest of the mounting and adjustment hardware, looks like it will make a difference over time.
My conclusion at this point is that both products are good values and would recommend either.  You get what you pay for in the margins of durability. 
  • The Aviation Tech product is reasonably priced and works quite well.  No regrets here.  I feel like I got good service with only a minor complaint after 6 years of flawless service.  They are well built, well designed and easy to adjust as the sun moves around.
  • The Rosen product is premium priced and works quite well.  I am confident that I will get good service for the life of the airframe.  They are solidly built, well designed and easy to adjust as the sun moves around.
Just thought I'd share.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether dropping $$$ on the newer Bose ANRs is a worthy gift for my wife and me.  We have 4 of the old units - battery powered in the rear, bus powered (or battery) in the front.  They all work well but a little more noise reduction would always be welcomed.

Bill "still loving the best airplane I'll ever own" Watson

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Sun Visor user reports and comparison Reply with quote

If you are talking Bose X to Bose A20, yes it is worth it, at least for front seat. I think a few shops still offer trade-ins on the X model
I traded my with mypilotshop.com a couple years ago. Can't comment on the new in the ear models, but the Bose rep at OSH said you get more noise reduction with the A20s.

Quote:
Sent from my IBM-360 main frame

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 8:50 AM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Now I'm trying to figure out whether dropping $$$ on the newer Bose ANRs is a worthy gift for my wife and me.  We have 4 of the old units - battery powered in the rear, bus powered (or battery) in the front.  They all work well but a little more noise reduction would always be welcomed.

Bill "still loving the best airplane I'll ever own" Watson

www.avast.com
[url=#m_-9010087143114339674_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

greghale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor user reports and comparison Reply with quote

I installed the Rosen 310 sunvisor. It has the outside corner beveled to allow the sunvisor to go up to the windshield. They also slide and can be positioned anyway you like. I attached mine to the upper corner of the door frame. If you have an overhead console, they should clear.
Greg...

sun visor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.21 KB
 Viewed:  5358 Time(s)

sun visor.jpg

AirMike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Sun Visor user reports and comparison Reply with quote

I had Rosens in my RV10 and they were great. One sore point though is that they scratched the windscreen when one of my bozo buddys slapped them around roughly. To preclude that happening again, I put a dab of pro-seal along the edge that could hit the window - no more problem. Highly recommend the Rosens, but hit them with the dab of pro-seal when you install them. It looks ugly on the new units, but it works.

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Sun Visor user reports and comparison Reply with quote

I'm thinking an armed ejection seat for the Bozo...

.. but thanks, will do that.

On 9/5/2018 12:41 AM, AirMike wrote:
Quote:

I had Rosens in my RV10 and they were great. One sore point though is that they scratched the windscreen when one of my bozo buddys slapped them around roughly. To preclude that happening again, I put a dab of pro-seal along the edge that could hit the window - no more problem. Highly recommend the Rosens, but hit them with the dab of pro-seal when you install them. It looks ugly on the new units, but it works.

--------
See you OSH '18
Q/B - sold.

do not archive

---
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: