Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricksked(at)embarqmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Boy have I been waiting for this...I'm not sure I'll answer anything but I'm sure I'll RAMBLE!!!!

I have pretty much paid for everything at this point, Firewall forward is done, avionics/electrical are done, interior is halfway with the seats completed by Classic Aero, Barretts did the engine, standard induction with chrome package, and custom paint yeah I know CJ, chrome don't get you home. My panel is pretty crowded but I think very functional full IFR. The bits and pieces are as follows. 2 AFS 3500, Mx-20 MFD, GNS-480, TT RV-10 AP, PMA 8000 audio, SL-30, GDL-69A, 330 remote transponder, Mt. High 4 place pulse demand O2, Midcontinent CDI works off GPS & NAV, Back up Airspeed, TT turn and bank and altimeter, fully lighted fiberglass panel/console and overhead. I went with the MT 3 blade, one because it look cool, second becasue Russ Daves ran super smooth..I would go Hartzell if I had to do it over...why? Stinking cowl is a bear to R & R and I'm not sure it's really worth the extra dollars. The little stuff will eat you up on the build, FWF package is 5 grand no matter how you cut it, Van's or piece it out still about 5 grand. so many otehr things that just creep up, nuts, epoxy, door handles...oh yeah, mine are the flush billets...another $500. So where am I going with this??? I'll break it down-

My original budget was $150,000 max....40 for the kit, 40 for the prop engine, 40 for the panel and 5 for the interior and 8 for paint. The balance was for what I didn't know...boy what you don't know...add braided brake lines/fuel lines, O2...oh yeah...GDL-69...gotta have it, XM music, weather?? Well heck only another $3500!!!, overhead console..SURE!!! Right now minus paint and carpet/sidepanels I'm just about at 190K...I haven't added the 6-32 locknuts for the baffling rods to the mix yet.

Nutshell engine about 43K, prop almost 9K, avionics, O2 and electrical stuff including wiring, batteries etc...easily 80k, what really kicks your butt is SHIPPING...and it's gonna get worse with fuel costs now.

I have no regrets on what I have spent, I really think it is all recoverable at sale, those close to me know how I like to build so selling this is an option for me...blood sweat and tears, everything I put in this I did for resale...but that was not my goal..I have no plans to sell in the near future, short distant maybe but not near.

Here is my advice if I was going to do it again.

Seriously look at your mission, day night VFR is a good mission...everything I have ever flown was day/night VFR...because the IFR stuff was always broke..isn't that why we built our own? because the stuff I was renting was junk. I'm not IFR rated...only want to be in case I get stuck...I have all the time in the world to wait out weather.

My ideal RV-10 for me, with hindsight would be...same engine...Barrett's you guys rock...little more cash but worth it, avionics? 2 AFS 4500's, 430/530 GPS/Nav/COM, TT AP, gotta have a good AP with vertical guidance, if anything it will allow your PAX properly instructed to get you into the field...nuther story all together.

Portable O2..., basic transponder, good backup NAV/COM,

Sooooo much more to have a good talk about...and I'm not even flying it yet. For those wondering....I have to final rivet the cabin top, do the windshield, put on the door which have been fitted and a boat load of body work, paint and final interior plus the fairings and pants which have been fabbed just not final fitted.

I would have been done by now...I'll make a few excuses...one I lost my Dad in December...kicked my ass, still does. I could not get my head in the game for three months, two...heh heh...multiple complications from multiple women...nuff said...46 in years...18 at heart. Burnout and summer heat...Deems and David can understand the summer heat. Expect burnout, it comes. Seems the last "few" items take HOURS to complete.

I have and never will set a date for this to fly...it will happen when I go to grab a part and there are none left...I think September.

So...My initial budget??? I exceeded it by about 50K...only because I could...but I was realistic in the beginning, I found myself with too fat a wallet and a whole bunch of GEE WHIZ!!! I gotta have that. Let's finish this over a brew at RV-10 central in about 6 weeks.

Whew!!!

Rick Sked
please DO NOT ARCHIVE....(especially the women part)

---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
n212pj(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

LOL! Gee Rick, tell us what you really think! Wink

Do not archive!

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

I hear you, Rick. Heck. I've seen a certain tech advisor's wish list
for his RV-10. Deems is in the cool part of the Valley.(it even gets
snow now and then). David and myself are in the hot spots. Vegas isn't
eggaxctly cool either.
Yeah, shipping is a killer, as well as...well, I just want it. I'm
still pissed about the 480 demise, so will be looking at most any
options besides Garmin when possible.
All I can say is wife and I built a complete house with our own sweat
equity, in 9 months, on budget. Yes we were younger.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Rick Sked <ricksked(at)embarqmail.com> wrote:

[quote] I would have been done by now...I'll make a few excuses...one I lost my Dad in December...kicked my ass, still does. I could not get my head in the game for three months, two...heh heh...multiple complications from multiple women...nuff said...46 in years...18 at heart. Burnout and summer heat...Deems and David can understand the summer heat. Expect burnout, it comes. Seems the last "few" items take HOURS to complete.

I have and never will set a date for this to fly...it will happen when I go to grab a part and there are none left...I think September.

So...My initial budget??? I exceeded it by about 50K...only because I could...but I was realistic in the beginning, I found myself with too fat a wallet and a whole bunch of GEE WHIZ!!! I gotta have that. Let's finish this over a brew at RV-10 central in about 6 weeks.

Whew!!!

Rick Sked
please DO NOT ARCHIVE....(especially the women part)

---

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Well...you met my main diversion at the NW RV-10 dinner...YOU TELL ME!!! Heck you even asked her if she trusted me!!

Rick Sked
do not archive

---

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Oh wait...maybe that was Bill DeRouchey sorry Bill if I blew the spelling...you had the camera. All I know is Deem's was drooling over those brake pedals, John Cox was giving out awards..to VAN no less, Rob Hickman realized I was a customer 3/4 of the way through and it was a great weekend/night/trip everything...on many levels, we had a fantastic time. wink wink. opps, 18 year old checking in!! Smile

Rick Sked

do notarchive
---

ron.mcgann(at)baesystems.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Holy cow - I can't wait to see this baby when I get to Vegas in August!!
Are you sure can still afford to buy me a beer when I get there ;->

Cheers,
Ron
187 - Hoping to fly in Sep when I get back home!

Do not archive

--

Deems Davis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

OK, I'll jump on this one as well. My original budget was $129K. I was
doing just fine until OSH 2006, and I saw Debbie and Jim' s beautiful
-10. I returned from that with a new standard for completion. My
previous 'good enough' just .... wasn't anymore. My original time
estimate was 14-16 months, After all I was now retired, and I had been
routinely working 50-60 hour weeks, so 40 hour weeks should be a
breeze.............. yeah right. The painter is scheduled to pick it up
next week. that's the last big check I'll have to write (I hope), and
that will bring me to $190k. As some know I've got an appetite for some
'alterations' and that has played a big part in the cost increase, but
an even BIGGER part in the time increases. I decided to go slo build
not so much for financial reasons, but more for 'ego satisfaction'
reasons. (I even built, wired and silkscreened my own panel) While the
project started out as a 'kit' somewhere along the way it transformed
into something else. The more of my time I invested in it, and with the
even bigger amount of thought that I invested in it. It wasn't just a
'kit' anymore it was something much more personal, and that relegated
the financial parts of the decisions to a second tier. I applaud those
that can continue to completion with their projects and maintain a
dispassionate and purely objective perspective. I'm not one of them. So
while the costs are significantly beyond my original estimate, and in my
former worklife I was always able to operate at or below budget, I'm
strangely (?) comfortable in this situation.
What I'm not comfortable with is the $#!!$#$$ heat of AZ summers. when
the plane returns from paint, it will sit in the hangar where the temps
are +15 degrees from OAT until it is bearable (OCT). If I weren't
operating on an FAA mandated 'time-delay' I'd be much more anxious about
that
As it is, its nice to know I've got 5 more months to evaluate any
additional 'alterations' ...........And their associated costs =-O

Deems Davis # 406
7months down and 5 to go
http://deemsrv10.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Of course!!!! nothing but a frige full of O'Douls just waiting for you Ron!!! Smile
Rick
do not archive
---

n212pj(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

You will not be disappointed.... However, we wander far from the topic....
I think....

Do not archive !!!

--

speckter(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Now you know why I go back and forth from Minnesota to Georgia. Can't stand
the cold or the heat. Now I have the best of both worlds.

Gary
40274 Flying

--

aircarepros(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Deems,

Think AC. Cold, cool, air conditioning....

Temptations helper
John Strain
Flightline AC

--

wcurtis(at)nerv10.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Rick,

Did you have one (or both) of those aforementioned women do the math on your spending?Smile Maybe they did a little "shopping" on their own.

By my calculation you have $92,000 in the RV-10 kit, Engine and Prop and another $45,000 in Avionics. Assuming another $10,000 in paint and $5,000 for the Oxygen system, this all totals $152,000. That means you spent another $38,000! on interior and "other stuff." That's a lot of "stuff."

I'm working on finishing up the exterior and I still have yet to purchase any major avionics. I'm always intrigued by the builders that have barely finished major airframe components and have panels bought, built and paid for only to sit there for the next few years while products evolve. While all other components in aviation tend to go up in price, avionics are the only component that you are most often better off waiting until the last possible moment to buy. Better products become available, prices go down or you get more for the same price. If my avionics package began to approach $50K, I'd seriously look at the G900X system. I'm $20K below that threshold so no G900X for me.

William
http://nerv10.com/wcurtis/91Panel/index.html

------

rv(at)thelefflers.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Quote:

Date: 2008/06/27 Fri PM 12:29:29 EST
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: Quick Question

Rick,

Did you have one (or both) of those aforementioned women do the math on your spending?Smile Maybe they did a little "shopping" on their own.

Having been to Rick's place, I can confirm that they done a little shopping on their own. :^) Of course having a burst water pipe and damaging most of the house, didn't help at all. It's an open ticket to go spend. If it were my project, I would have been shut done so quick. Rick is certainly a better man than I am in this regards.

n212pj(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Ok, the gauntlet has been thrown, not sure in which direction, but heaved it
has been. I'm going for the under. VFR helps, but with a hole for a 430
when affordable. Can I do it for $100k? We'll see....

John J (GlaStar almost back in the air; then wings abuilding)

Do not archive

--

robin1(at)mrmoisture.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Rick,
$38,000 sounds about right (to a little low) for the "other
stuff." Door handles, OH consoles, 3rd party Intersection Fairings, oil
quick drain, powder coating, tools, abrasives all add up. I applaud and
appreciate those that take Vans plans, a basic panel, mid time engine
and homemade interior to build a cross country machine for almost half
of my completed -10.
When I give first time flights to friends, young eagles etc...
in my 6A I tell the PAX that what amazes me most about these planes
(referring to the 2 place RV's) is a person earning an average income
can with time and dedication can create a machine in his garage that
will take him and a companion wherever they want to go. Literally. Jon
Johanson's story is an inspiration to me and an example of how sheet
metal & rivets can change someone life and network of friends.
Regarding the panel costs I looked at all my options for a
complete IFR panel and no matter how I mixed and matched components once
I added the Garmin radio/transponder stack and almost any dual/triple
EFIS package (except Dynon) plus the challenge of getting each of these
different components from 5+ different manufacturers to work together my
costs were in the same ball park as the G900X I ultimately ordered. Plus
the G900X has dual 16 Watt Comm's. Then add the WX/Traffic package to
the Garmin and you have taken another step up in costs however at most I
spent $20K more than a comparable component panel but every time I
penciled it out the high end components . Yes I know it's $20K that
could be used for other items on the plane or as the very last resort
send my daughter to college. I asked Hannah when she was really young
"what would you like more, a big shiny new airplane or a college
education" she jumped up and down and said "Airpane, Airpane" so I am
basically following her wishes...

Robin

--

wcurtis(at)nerv10.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Quote:
Regarding the panel costs I looked at all my options for a complete IFR panel and no matter how I mixed and matched components once I added the Garmin radio/transponder stack and almost any dual/triple EFIS package (except Dynon) plus the challenge of getting each of these different components from 5+ different manufacturers to work together my costs were in the same ball park as the G900X I ultimately ordered. Plus the G900X has dual 16 Watt Comm's.

This thread has segwayed from wing tiedown hight, to jacks, to RV-10 cost and now to panel costs. Maybe we should talk about primers next.

Must be that new math I keep hearing about. These are my numbers for some different configurations.
http://nerv10.com/wcurtis/91Panel/index.html

Quote:
From my calculation, a basic non-syn vision G900X is still $41,500 more than my (AFS-EFIS AFS-EM, GNS-430, GTX-330, PS-8000B, Icom A210, TruTrak IIVSG) configuration. Even if I were to add a second GNS-430 for a ~comparable~ (and I use that term loosely) system, I'm still $34,000 away from a G900X. I'd love to have a G900X, but no matter how thick a rose colored glasses I put on, I can't justify it.

William
http://nerv10.com/wcurtis/

------

vookis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Question Reply with quote

I am conducting a survey with the aim of buying a new refrigerator. What is yours? Are you satisfied? Maybe something to pay attention, but something well, in any case not to buy? I'm interested in сommercial refrigerators. I want to hear recommendations from owners of cafes and restaurants. I always have little space in the fridge, so I want a big one. There should be no problems with cleaning it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: