Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else driving a TruTrak AP with a GRT HX or HXr EFIS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Anyone else driving a TruTrak AP with a GRT HX or HXr EFIS? Reply with quote

I have a TruTrak AP connected to a GRT HX in my RV-8, which works great -
I've never had a issue. In fact I like it a lot more than the Dynon AP
with SkyView in the RV-6. The TruTrak AP is a lot smoother in rough air,
IMHO.

Matt Dralle
RV-8 N998RV http://www.mattsrv8.com
RV-6 N360EM http://www.mattsrv6.com

Quote:

Looking for anyone else with flying with these components to see if they
are experiencing any wing rocking (or not).

I have been experiencing a persistent wing rocking problem in my
installation for a number of years.  It's become less tolerable as I've
become more demanding of my aircraft's performance.  The problem has
been mentioned here before but is fully documented  on the GRT board.

The question is specific to TruTrak and GRT.  It's become clear that
this is not a problem with other product configurations.

Thanks!

Bill "deep into maintenance and incremental improvement mode, 1100hrs
and counting" Watson
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone else driving a TruTrak AP with a GRT HX or HXr EFIS? Reply with quote

David, thanks for responding.

Actually I'm usually running this configuration in GNAV mode.  The only
time it's in ENAV is when it switches to it automatically during
approaches.  I'll put some more specifics down in a follow-on post and
would be interested if your configuration matches it or is close.

On 8/27/2019 1:51 PM, David Jones wrote:
Quote:

Hi Bill,
When you slave the AP to the GRT HX and have the enav setting you will get the rocking problem. Set your HX to gnav and this will solve your problem.
David Jones
N331DJ
Cell: 941-661-4926

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 27, 2019, at 1:25 PM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Looking for anyone else with flying with these components to see if they are experiencing any wing rocking (or not).
>
> I have been experiencing a persistent wing rocking problem in my installation for a number of years. It's become less tolerable as I've become more demanding of my aircraft's performance. The problem has been mentioned here before but is fully documented on the GRT board.
>
> The question is specific to TruTrak and GRT. It's become clear that this is not a problem with other product configurations.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill "deep into maintenance and incremental improvement mode, 1100hrs and counting" Watson
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>
>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Anyone else driving a TruTrak AP with a GRT HX or HXr EFIS? Reply with quote

Matt, I would be interested in knowing more about your configuration. 
I'm going to write a separate post with more specifics to compare with.

My TruTrak is great in rough air and the wing rock is undetectable. 
It's great in smooth air when being driven by my G430.  The only problem
is in smooth air when being driven by the GRT in any mode.  Specifics to
follow...

On 8/27/2019 3:06 PM, Matt Dralle wrote:
Quote:

I have a TruTrak AP connected to a GRT HX in my RV-8, which works great -
I've never had a issue. In fact I like it a lot more than the Dynon AP
with SkyView in the RV-6. The TruTrak AP is a lot smoother in rough air,
IMHO.

Matt Dralle
RV-8 N998RV http://www.mattsrv8.com
RV-6 N360EM http://www.mattsrv6.com

>
>
> Looking for anyone else with flying with these components to see if they
> are experiencing any wing rocking (or not).
>
> I have been experiencing a persistent wing rocking problem in my
> installation for a number of years.  It's become less tolerable as I've
> become more demanding of my aircraft's performance.  The problem has
> been mentioned here before but is fully documented  on the GRT board.
>
> The question is specific to TruTrak and GRT.  It's become clear that
> this is not a problem with other product configurations.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill "deep into maintenance and incremental improvement mode, 1100hrs
> and counting" Watson
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>
>

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone else driving a TruTrak AP with a GRT HX or HXr EFIS? Reply with quote

Below are some details about my configuration and the problem itself.  I would be very interested in hearing from people like Matt who may have a comparable configuration and who can talk about how their system performs.

Configuration: TruTrak DII VSGV; DIGIFLIGHT II VS GPSS V PROGRAMMER running SW 2.51
GRT HX and HXr systems (problem occurs with either system)
Connected via an ARINC link and a serial connection
ARINC link is switchable between the GRT and a G430w
In normal operations the GRT is linked to the TT and the G430w feeds the GRT

Problem: Whenever the GRT HXr is driving the TruTrak Autopilot, my RV-10 wings rock with a period of approximately 2 seconds. - This problem occurs in all GRT AP modes; ENAV, GNAV, and Heading modes. - It occurs independent of any AP settings in the GRT Setup menus (a wide variety of gain settings have been tried) The Problem does not occur when the TruTrak Autopilot is driven directly by G430w > The ARINC connection to the Autopilot is switchable between the GRT and the G430w.  - When switched from GRT to G430w, there is momentary left/right heading adjustment and the wing rocking stops completely.  - When switched back from G430w to GRT, the wing rocking resumes.  - - Sometimes it takes 15 or 30 seconds before it reaches full amplitude. - - Often the wing rocking starts immediately at full amplitude, 2 second period > The serial connection to the TruTrak is not switchable but it has been rewired as a possible solution  - Originally, there was a serial connection between the G430w and the TruTrak AP -- When the Trutrak was getting the ARINC from the GRT and the Serial from the G430 - we have wing rocking - The serial wiring was changed to a connection between the GRT and the Trutrak AP -- When the Trutrak was getting ARINC and Serial from the GRT - we have wing rocking -- (When the Trutrak was getting ARINC from the G430w and Serial from the GRT - no wing rocking) The Problem does not occur when the Trutrak Autopilot is used manually with no external inputs More Background: I've been flying this configuration for 8 years and 1100 hours. While I don't recall having this problem originally I cannot document that fact so I can only say this problem has existed for at least several years.  It has persisted through a panel upgrade from the HX to the HXr.

GRT is working with me on this but at this point do not have any solutions.  Interestingly, while they conceptually view the GRT as simply passing  GPSS steering information through from the G430, the same data elements are not sent.  That is when the G430 connects directly to the TT, it sends a slightly different set of data than the GRT does, e.g. the G430 sends true track angle while the GRT sends mag ground track and heading.  So they are trying to work thru this but they are interested in whether other people are experiencing this or not.

I would also note that I tolerated this wing rock for a few years of flying since it is only noticeable in smooth air.  My sense was that some adjustements of the gain settings would resolve it.  So it's possible that others may be tolerating it as well.

Here is a video of the wing rocking with switching between the G430w (no rocking)  and the GRT HXr (rocking) and native TruTrak (no rocking)
Wing Rocking Video - different modes

On 8/27/2019 1:25 PM, Bill Watson wrote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)

Looking for anyone else with flying with these components to see if they are experiencing any wing rocking (or not).

I have been experiencing a persistent wing rocking problem in my installation for a number of years.  It's become less tolerable as I've become more demanding of my aircraft's performance.  The problem has been mentioned here before but is fully documented  on the GRT board.

The question is specific to TruTrak and GRT.  It's become clear that this is not a problem with other product configurations.

Thanks!

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: