Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IO-540 for sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: IO-540 for sale Reply with quote

Hi all,

If you know of anyone looking for a good mid-time IO-540, I've got mine for sale.
Many of you on this list have been here a long time and we all "grew up" with
our RV-10's together.  You may remember that this was an Aerosport IO-540,
and was originally displayed at OSH, so it's got the trimmings.  The engine treated
me real well, and I tried to do likewise for it.

A couple years ago I read Vic's article about how he got his Thunderbolt engine,
and sold his while mid-time.  It gives a good return on value, gives someone else
a broken in engine to do their first flight, and should provide many years to
some other builder for them to fly...giving them an opportunity to still
save their Van's discount for a new engine at a later time.   I digested that, and
decided it made sense.  There was nothing wrong with the engine, but I
reasoned that I could reset the clock, go zero-time, and start over, now that
had been saving engine reserve money for all these years.  So during the OSH
2019 specials, I ordered a Thunderbolt.  New engine prices are $47-51K+ these
days, so this could provide someone a substantial discount on their engine purchase.
It took around 11 months to be delivered, but with a lot of help from a
jim-dany super friend of mine, we got the swap done in 1 week, and the new
engine is now flying.  

I have my original Aerosport IO-540 all cleaned up, packaged on its original
crate, with some parts refreshed so it will be a good turn-key install for
someone else, just like a factory engine.  If you know of anyone looking,
here's a link:

https://www.myrv10.com/forsale/IO540/

In case anyone is interested, so far in the couple hours I've flown the Thunderbolt,
it's been running great, but I don't notice any significant differences.  I've been
having to fly the WOT high-power break-in profile, so I'm flying at RPMs and MPs
that are not generally used by me for anything but climb or when I need to go
really fast.  It will be interesting to see how well the new one runs LOP, for instance.
I left my balanced injector nozzles on the original engine, so that one should be
tuned for great LOP operation.

Thanks to any of you who point this link to the right person.

Tim

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
m.r.92129(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: IO-540 for sale Reply with quote

above the serial number/M
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 9:33 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)MyRV10.com)> wrote:
Hi all, If you know of anyone looking for a good mid-time IO-540, I've got mine for sale. Many of you on this list have been here a long time and we all "grew up" with our RV-10's together. You may remember that this was an Aerosport IO-540, and was originally displayed at OSH, so it's got the trimmings. The engine treated me real well, and I tried to do likewise for it. A couple years ago I read Vic's article about how he got his Thunderbolt engine, and sold his while mid-time. It gives a good return on value, gives someone else a broken in engine to do their first flight, and should provide many years to some other builder for them to fly...giving them an opportunity to still save their Van's discount for a new engine at a later time. I digested that, and decided it made sense. There was nothing wrong with the engine, but I reasoned that I could reset the clock, go zero-time, and start over, now that had been saving engine reserve money for all these years. So during the OSH 2019 specials, I ordered a Thunderbolt. New engine prices are $47-51K+ these days, so this could provide someone a substantial discount on their engine purchase. It took around 11 months to be delivered, but with a lot of help from a jim-dany super friend of mine, we got the swap done in 1 week, and the new engine is now flying. I have my original Aerosport IO-540 all cleaned up, packaged on its original crate, with some parts refreshed so it will be a good turn-key install for someone else, just like a factory engine. If you know of anyone looking, here's a link: https://www.myrv10.com/forsale/IO540/ In case anyone is interested, so far in the couple hours I've flown the Thunderbolt, it's been running great, but I don't notice any significant differences. I've been having to fly the WOT high-power break-in profile, so I'm flying at RPMs and MPs that are not generally used by me for anything but climb or when I need to go really fast. It will be interesting to see how well the new one runs LOP, for instance. I left my balanced injector nozzles on the original engine, so that one should be tuned for great LOP operation. Thanks to any of you who point this link to the right person. Tim

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: IO-540 for sale Reply with quote

Whew!!! Almost gave me a heart attack! Wink

It turns out that it was a bit of Oily residue from when I spray down the engine to clean it. It wipes right off with a finger. There is some in other areas of the case as well. It’s just like the way that the mineral spirits type of solvent dried. Check out the attached two photos that I just took of a neighboring spot. One of them is before and one of them is after when I wiped it up. So it’s not actually cracked at all.
oily residue from when I sprayed down the engine to clean it. It wipes right off with a finger. There is some in other areas of the case as well. It’s just like the way that the mineral spirits type solvent dried. Check out the attached two photos that I just took of a neighboring spot. One of them is before and one of them is after when I wiped it up. So it’s not actually cracked at all.[img]cid:A5662D17-9315-4733-BFE8-C26E103B6C29-L0-001[/img][img]cid:8D7B9736-A446-45D3-940A-2622BA57EAB4-L0-001[/img]

Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Martin Renschler <m.r.92129(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 9:33 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)MyRV10.com)> wrote:
Hi all, If you know of anyone looking for a good mid-time IO-540, I've got mine for sale. Many of you on this list have been here a long time and we all "grew up" with our RV-10's together. You may remember that this was an Aerosport IO-540, and was originally displayed at OSH, so it's got the trimmings. The engine treated me real well, and I tried to do likewise for it. A couple years ago I read Vic's article about how he got his Thunderbolt engine, and sold his while mid-time. It gives a good return on value, gives someone else a broken in engine to do their first flight, and should provide many years to some other builder for them to fly...giving them an opportunity to still save their Van's discount for a new engine at a later time. I digested that, and decided it made sense. There was nothing wrong with the engine, but I reasoned that I could reset the clock, go zero-time, and start over, now that had been saving engine reserve money for all these years. So during the OSH 2019 specials, I ordered a Thunderbolt. New engine prices are $47-51K+ these days, so this could provide someone a substantial discount on their engine purchase. It took around 11 months to be delivered, but with a lot of help from a jim-dany super friend of mine, we got the swap done in 1 week, and the new engine is now flying. I have my original Aerosport IO-540 all cleaned up, packaged on its original crate, with some parts refreshed so it will be a good turn-key install for someone else, just like a factory engine. If you know of anyone looking, here's a link: https://www.myrv10.com/forsale/IO540/ In case anyone is interested, so far in the couple hours I've flown the Thunderbolt, it's been running great, but I don't notice any significant differences. I've been having to fly the WOT high-power break-in profile, so I'm flying at RPMs and MPs that are not generally used by me for anything but climb or when I need to go really fast. It will be interesting to see how well the new one runs LOP, for instance. I left my balanced injector nozzles on the original engine, so that one should be tuned for great LOP operation. Thanks to any of you who point this link to the right person. Tim

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  879.01 KB
 Viewed:  4944 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  818.12 KB

image1.jpeg

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: IO-540 for sale Reply with quote

Here is that same spot now..
[img]cid:2A2C0115-5B54-4ED0-8904-F77B4F4ACC8F-L0-001[/img]
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 2:03 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:

Whew!!! Almost gave me a heart attack! Wink

It turns out that it was a bit of Oily residue from when I spray down the engine to clean it. It wipes right off with a finger. There is some in other areas of the case as well. It’s just like the way that the mineral spirits type of solvent dried. Check out the attached two photos that I just took of a neighboring spot. One of them is before and one of them is after when I wiped it up. So it’s not actually cracked at all.
oily residue from when I sprayed down the engine to clean it. It wipes right off with a finger. There is some in other areas of the case as well. It’s just like the way that the mineral spirits type solvent dried. Check out the attached two photos that I just took of a neighboring spot. One of them is before and one of them is after when I wiped it up. So it’s not actually cracked at all.<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Martin Renschler <m.r.92129(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  935.33 KB

image0.jpeg

m.r.92129(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: IO-540 for sale Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
the question is whether your cleaning method somehow worked like a die crack check. It is possible that solvents went into the crack and in the drying process somehow influenced the pattern of the surface residue and thereby revealed the crack just like the developer does with a die spot check. You can also wipe away the red die after the crack test and the crack seems gone but it is not.

I am not claiming that there is a crack but I am saying that it might be good to do a die test at that very spot and make sure.

BTW, I am building an RV-10 but I have already put money aside for a new engine. I was just looking at your engine to familiarize myself with what’s out there.

/Martin
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 12:07 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)MyRV10.com)> wrote:
Here is that same spot now...
<image0.jpeg>
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 2:03 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:Whew!!! Almost gave me a heart attack! Wink

oily residue from when I sprayed down the engine to clean it. It wipes right off with a finger. There is some in other areas of the case as well. It’s just like the way that the mineral spirits type solvent dried. Check out the attached two photos that I just took of a neighboring spot. One of them is before and one of them is after when I wiped it up. So it’s not actually cracked at all.<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>

Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Martin Renschler <m.r.92129(at)gmail.com (m.r.92129(at)gmail.com)> wrote:above the serial number/M
Quote:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: IO-540 for sale Reply with quote

Martin,
I had the FBO bring over its dye penetrant kit today to check that
area, just in case you were right.  Turns out it really just was
grease residue like I thought.  I washed everything down
and when the residue dried it left a fine-line jagged greasy
trail that from a distance in the photos you could mistake
for a crack.  But in the end , there's nothing there but nice paint.
Those cases are sand cast which gave it the necessary
roughness for the oily residue to take that shape.
Tim

On 8/6/2020 5:26 PM, Martin Renschler wrote:

Quote:
Hi Tim,
the question is whether your cleaning method somehow worked like a die crack check. It is possible that solvents went into the crack and in the drying process somehow influenced the pattern of the surface residue and thereby revealed the crack just like the developer does with a die spot check. You can also wipe away the red die after the crack test and the crack seems gone but it is not.

I am not claiming that there is a crack but I am saying that it might be good to do a die test at that very spot and make sure.

BTW, I am building an RV-10 but I have already put money aside for a new engine. I was just looking at your engine to familiarize myself with what’s out there.

/Martin

Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 12:07 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)MyRV10.com)> wrote:
<image0.jpeg>
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 2:03 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:  Whew!!! Almost gave me a heart attack! Wink

oily residue from when I sprayed down the engine to clean it. It wipes right off with a finger. There is some in other areas of the case as well. It’s just like the way that the mineral spirits type solvent dried. Check out the attached two photos that I just took of a neighboring spot. One of them is before and one of them is after when I wiped it up. So it’s not actually cracked at all. <image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>

Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Martin Renschler <m.r.92129(at)gmail.com (m.r.92129(at)gmail.com)> wrote:  above the serial number /M
Quote:
Hi all, If you know of anyone looking for a good mid-time IO-540, I've got mine for sale. Many of you on this list have been here a long time and we all "grew up" with our RV-10's together.  You may remember that this was an Aerosport IO-540, and was originally displayed at OSH, so it's got the trimmings.  The engine treated me real well, and I tried to do likewise for it. A couple years ago I read Vic's article about how he got his Thunderbolt engine, and sold his while mid-time.  It gives a good return on value, gives someone else a broken in engine to do their first flight, and should provide many years to some other builder for them to fly...giving them an opportunity to still save their Van's discount for a new engine at a later time.   I digested that, and decided it made sense.  There was nothing wrong with the engine, but I reasoned that I could reset the clock, go zero-time, and start over, now that had been saving engine reserve money for all these years.  So during the OSH 2019 specials, I ordered a Thunderbolt.  New engine prices are $47-51K+ these days, so this could provide someone a substantial discount on their engine purchase. It took around 11 months to be delivered, but with a lot of help from a jim-dany super friend of mine, we got the swap done in 1 week, and the new engine is now flying.   I have my original Aerosport IO-540 all cleaned up, packaged on its original crate, with some parts refreshed so it will be a good turn-key install for someone else, just like a factory engine.  If you know of anyone looking, here's a link: https://www.myrv10.com/forsale/IO540/ In case anyone is interested, so far in the couple hours I've flown the Thunderbolt, it's been running great, but I don't notice any significant differences.  I've been having to fly the WOT high-power break-in profile, so I'm flying at RPMs and MPs that are not generally used by me for anything but climb or when I need to go really fast.  It will be interesting to see how well the new one runs LOP, for instance. I left my balanced injector nozzles on the original engine, so that one should be tuned for great LOP operation. Thanks to any of you who point this link to the right person. Tim

m.r.92129(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: IO-540 for sale Reply with quote

Sorry to have caused you trouble! Hope you sell it soon!I owe you a beer during next Oshkosh!/Martin
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2020, at 2:42 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)MyRV10.com)> wrote:
Martin, I had the FBO bring over its dye penetrant kit today to check that area, just in case you were right. Turns out it really just was grease residue like I thought. I washed everything down and when the residue dried it left a fine-line jagged greasy trail that from a distance in the photos you could mistake for a crack. But in the end , there's nothing there but nice paint. Those cases are sand cast which gave it the necessary roughness for the oily residue to take that shape. Tim On 8/6/2020 5:26 PM, Martin Renschler wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tim,

/Martin

Quote:
<image0.jpeg>
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 2:03 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:  Whew!!! Almost gave me a heart attack! Wink

oily residue from when I sprayed down the engine to clean it. It wipes right off with a finger. There is some in other areas of the case as well. It’s just like the way that the mineral spirits type solvent dried. Check out the attached two photos that I just took of a neighboring spot. One of them is before and one of them is after when I wiped it up. So it’s not actually cracked at all. <image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>

Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Martin Renschler <m.r.92129(at)gmail.com (m.r.92129(at)gmail.com)> wrote:  above the serial number /M
Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: