Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TruTrak (MidContinent) service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docclv(at)windstream.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: TruTrak (MidContinent) service Reply with quote

Guys: Tim's concerns about MidContinent's TruTrak service is
legitimate. It took me 7 months! and I would bet 100 emails and phone
calls with Zach Williamson at Bendix King and Bruce Grammon at
Midcontinint to to get the proper wiring schematics to make a Sorcerer
work in my latest 10 last year. Bruce had no idea what a TruTrak was
until last June and admitted that Bendix King did not supply
MidContinent with Mannuals, etc. even though MidContinent was the
authorized repair center for TruTrak. I sent the trim module (which
MidContinent lost) and the Head to MidContinent Two times to be checked
out only for Bruce to tell me it checked OK on the bench. I finally got
Zack at Bendix King to Get off his A-- and look at Installation Manuals
IN DETAIL. He said that the schematics sent with the Installation
manuals did not show the changes in the newer units and Trim modules.
Once he shared that information with me, I now have a working Blue
Screen (newer Sorcerer) that works. Like I said, this Saga took only 7
Months and several hundred dollars in shipping and a new Trim Module
from EDMO Industries in Washington I would NEVER do business with
Bendix King or MidContinent again if I could avoid it. Doc N123CV
and N784DC

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: TruTrak (MidContinent) service Reply with quote

That’s interesting. I have had nothing but good service from Bruce and Mid Continent. Better even than with TruTrak back in the day. Bendix King, on the other hand, I won’t even try calling. I feel like I know more than their tech guy does. Probably not the case, but when I first started dealing with them, it probably was the case. I buy from Edmo or Aviall and use Mid Continent for service, so I don’t ever even have to deal with BK. On the experimental stuff, however, I can’t speak to Mid Continent’s knowledge. As time goes on, I am sure they will get better and better.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com
C: 352-427-0285
F: 815-377-3694

Quote:
On Jan 4, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Doc <docclv(at)windstream.net> wrote:

Guys: Tim's concerns about MidContinent's TruTrak service is legitimate. It took me 7 months! and I would bet 100 emails and phone calls with Zach Williamson at Bendix King and Bruce Grammon at Midcontinint to to get the proper wiring schematics to make a Sorcerer work in my latest 10 last year. Bruce had no idea what a TruTrak was until last June and admitted that Bendix King did not supply MidContinent with Mannuals, etc. even though MidContinent was the authorized repair center for TruTrak. I sent the trim module (which MidContinent lost) and the Head to MidContinent Two times to be checked out only for Bruce to tell me it checked OK on the bench. I finally got Zack at Bendix King to Get off his A-- and look at Installation Manuals IN DETAIL. He said that the schematics sent with the Installation manuals did not show the changes in the newer units and Trim modules. Once he shared that information with me, I now have a working Blue Screen (newer Sorcerer) that works. Like I said, this Saga took only 7 Months and several hundred dollars in shipping and a new Trim Module from EDMO Industries in Washington I would NEVER do business with Bendix King or MidContinent again if I could avoid it. Doc N123CV and N784DC

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

philperry9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: TruTrak (MidContinent) service Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced their TT autopilot with the Garmin? Specifically with a G3X based system?

I’m curious what the process was like to reconfigure the wiring and remount the servos/linkages.

I’m not looking forward to replacing mine, but it’s going to become inevitable at some point.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:34 AM, Saint Aviation <jesse(at)saintaviation.com> wrote:

That’s interesting. I have had nothing but good service from Bruce and Mid Continent. Better even than with TruTrak back in the day. Bendix King, on the other hand, I won’t even try calling. I feel like I know more than their tech guy does. Probably not the case, but when I first started dealing with them, it probably was the case. I buy from Edmo or Aviall and use Mid Continent for service, so I don’t ever even have to deal with BK. On the experimental stuff, however, I can’t speak to Mid Continent’s knowledge. As time goes on, I am sure they will get better and better.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.

> On Jan 4, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Doc <docclv(at)windstream.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> Guys: Tim's concerns about MidContinent's TruTrak service is legitimate. It took me 7 months! and I would bet 100 emails and phone calls with Zach Williamson at Bendix King and Bruce Grammon at Midcontinint to to get the proper wiring schematics to make a Sorcerer work in my latest 10 last year. Bruce had no idea what a TruTrak was until last June and admitted that Bendix King did not supply MidContinent with Mannuals, etc. even though MidContinent was the authorized repair center for TruTrak. I sent the trim module (which MidContinent lost) and the Head to MidContinent Two times to be checked out only for Bruce to tell me it checked OK on the bench. I finally got Zack at Bendix King to Get off his A-- and look at Installation Manuals IN DETAIL. He said that the schematics sent with the Installation manuals did not show the changes in the newer units and Trim modules. Once he shared that information with me, I now have a working Blue Screen (newer Sorcerer) that wor!
ks. Like I said, this Saga took only 7 Months and several hundred dollars in shipping and a new Trim Module from EDMO Industries in Washington I would NEVER do business with Bendix King or MidContinent again if I could avoid it. Doc N123CV and N784DC
>
>
>

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: TruTrak (MidContinent) service Reply with quote

I am under the impression that to install a Garmin or Dynon based
autopilot you need at least one of their screens. The servos are cheap
at $750 and they mount same as TT. But a system of screen, ADAHRS and
wiring is going to cost probably 2-3 times what the servos do, even in a
7" screen size.

On 1/4/2021 9:33 AM, Phil Perry wrote:
Quote:

Has anyone replaced their TT autopilot with the Garmin? Specifically with a G3X based system?

I’m curious what the process was like to reconfigure the wiring and remount the servos/linkages.

I’m not looking forward to replacing mine, but it’s going to become inevitable at some point.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:34 AM, Saint Aviation <jesse(at)saintaviation.com> wrote:
>
> 
>
> That’s interesting. I have had nothing but good service from Bruce and Mid Continent. Better even than with TruTrak back in the day. Bendix King, on the other hand, I won’t even try calling. I feel like I know more than their tech guy does. Probably not the case, but when I first started dealing with them, it probably was the case. I buy from Edmo or Aviall and use Mid Continent for service, so I don’t ever even have to deal with BK. On the experimental stuff, however, I can’t speak to Mid Continent’s knowledge. As time goes on, I am sure they will get better and better.
>
> Jesse Saint
> Saint Aviation, Inc.
> jesse(at)saintaviation.com
> C: 352-427-0285
> F: 815-377-3694
>
>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Doc <docclv(at)windstream.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Guys: Tim's concerns about MidContinent's TruTrak service is legitimate. It took me 7 months! and I would bet 100 emails and phone calls with Zach Williamson at Bendix King and Bruce Grammon at Midcontinint to to get the proper wiring schematics to make a Sorcerer work in my latest 10 last year. Bruce had no idea what a TruTrak was until last June and admitted that Bendix King did not supply MidContinent with Mannuals, etc. even though MidContinent was the authorized repair center for TruTrak. I sent the trim module (which MidContinent lost) and the Head to MidContinent Two times to be checked out only for Bruce to tell me it checked OK on the bench. I finally got Zack at Bendix King to Get off his A-- and look at Installation Manuals IN DETAIL. He said that the schematics sent with the Installation manuals did not show the changes in the newer units and Trim modules. Once he shared that information with me, I now have a working Blue Screen (newer Sorcerer) that wo!
r!
> ks. Like I said, this Saga took only 7 Months and several hundred dollars in shipping and a new Trim Module from EDMO Industries in Washington I would NEVER do business with Bendix King or MidContinent again if I could avoid it. Doc N123CV and N784DC
>>
>>
>>
>

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: TruTrak (MidContinent) service Reply with quote

The G3X servos mount much the same as the TruTrak, GRT or Dynon servos. The main difference is in the roll servo with the brace that goes up to the upper bell crank bracket. Since the Garmin servo just has a 1/16” or 1/8” plate, where the other servos have a 3/4” or so thick base, the brace would require a spacer to make up the difference. Also, the G3X servos require nuts on all of the bolts for the same reason. The Garmin arm is very similar to the standard arm on the other servos. I don’t know if they have long output arms available like are used in the RV-6 roll servos for the other brands.

For the RV-10, I don’t think they have the torque enhancer, so that would be a little different, but the arm with a pushrod is what they use on the -10.

The wiring is more of a difference, as usually the Dynon and TruTrak don’t have 2-conductor shielded wire as is needed for the CAN Bus. The Dynon does have twisted pair wires, but they are not shielded. I have used existing TruTrak wiring in the past to install a Dynon auto pilot, but I’m pretty sure the Garmin is going to want shielded wire. Also, the Can Bus needs to continue from the servos to something else in line. If you have a GMU 11 in the tail, then you have the CAN bus wiring there, so that shouldn’t be hard to access. The roll servo would require cutting into the CAN Bus wiring in the side panel and running that to and from the roll servo. Also, both servos can provide auto trim, but the trim would have to run through the servo. I am not a fan of auto roll trim, but auto pitch trim is great. In that case, you can cut the two pitch trim servo motor power wires near the pitch servo and run both sides of both to the pitch servo and you’re good to go.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.

Quote:
On Jan 4, 2021, at 11:33 AM, Phil Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:34 AM, Saint Aviation <jesse(at)saintaviation.com> wrote:
>
> 
>
> That’s interesting. I have had nothing but good service from Bruce and Mid Continent. Better even than with TruTrak back in the day. Bendix King, on the other hand, I won’t even try calling. I feel like I know more than their tech guy does. Probably not the case, but when I first started dealing with them, it probably was the case. I buy from Edmo or Aviall and use Mid Continent for service, so I don’t ever even have to deal with BK. On the experimental stuff, however, I can’t speak to Mid Continent’s knowledge. As time goes on, I am sure they will get better and better.
>
> Jesse Saint
> Saint Aviation, Inc.
> jesse(at)saintaviation.com
>
>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Doc <docclv(at)windstream.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Guys: Tim's concerns about MidContinent's TruTrak service is legitimate. It took me 7 months! and I would bet 100 emails and phone calls with Zach Williamson at Bendix King and Bruce Grammon at Midcontinint to to get the proper wiring schematics to make a Sorcerer work in my latest 10 last year. Bruce had no idea what a TruTrak was until last June and admitted that Bendix King did not supply MidContinent with Mannuals, etc. even though MidContinent was the authorized repair center for TruTrak. I sent the trim module (which MidContinent lost) and the Head to MidContinent Two times to be checked out only for Bruce to tell me it checked OK on the bench. I finally got Zack at Bendix King to Get off his A-- and look at Installation Manuals IN DETAIL. He said that the schematics sent with the Installation manuals did not show the changes in the newer units and Trim modules. Once he shared that information with me, I now have a working Blue Screen (newer Sorcerer) that wo!
r!
> ks. Like I said, this Saga took only 7 Months and several hundred dollars in shipping and a new Trim Module from EDMO Industries in Washington I would NEVER do business with Bendix King or MidContinent again if I could avoid it. Doc N123CV and N784DC
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

flyboy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: TruTrak (MidContinent) service Reply with quote

You can drive the Garmin autopilot with a G5 which is "only" $1,300...

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:06 PM Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

7" screen size.

> --> RV10-List message posted by: Phil Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)>
>
> Has anyone replaced their TT autopilot with the Garmin?   Specifically with a G3X based system?
>
> I’m curious what the process was like to reconfigure the wiring and remount the servos/linkages.
>
> I’m not looking forward to replacing mine, but it’s going to become inevitable at some point.
>
> Phil
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:34 AM, Saint Aviation <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Saint Aviation <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)>
>>
>> That’s interesting. I have had nothing but good service from Bruce and Mid Continent. Better even than with TruTrak back in the day. Bendix King, on the other hand, I won’t even try calling. I feel like I know more than their tech guy does. Probably not the case, but when I first started dealing with them, it probably was the case. I buy from Edmo or Aviall and use Mid Continent for service, so I don’t ever even have to deal with BK. On the experimental stuff, however, I can’t speak to Mid Continent’s knowledge. As time goes on, I am sure they will get better and better.
>>
>> Jesse Saint
>> Saint Aviation, Inc.
>> jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
>> C: 352-427-0285
>> F: 815-377-3694
>>
>>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Doc <docclv(at)windstream.net (docclv(at)windstream.net)> wrote:
>>>
>>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Doc <docclv(at)windstream.net (docclv(at)windstream.net)>
>>>
>>> Guys:  Tim's concerns about MidContinent's TruTrak service is legitimate.  It took me 7 months! and I would bet 100 emails and phone calls with Zach Williamson at Bendix King and Bruce Grammon at Midcontinint to to get the proper wiring schematics to make a Sorcerer work in my latest 10 last year.  Bruce had no idea what a TruTrak was until last June and admitted that Bendix King did not supply MidContinent with Mannuals, etc. even though MidContinent was the authorized repair center for TruTrak.  I sent the trim module (which MidContinent lost) and the Head to MidContinent Two times to be checked out only for Bruce to tell me it checked OK on the bench.  I finally got Zack at Bendix King to Get off his A-- and look at Installation Manuals IN DETAIL.  He said that the schematics sent with the Installation manuals did not show the changes in the newer units and Trim modules.  Once he shared that information with me, I now have a working Blue Screen (newer Sorcerer) that w!
 o!
>   r!
>> ks. Like I said, this Saga took only 7 Months and several hundred dollars in shipping and a new Trim Module from EDMO Industries in Washington  I would NEVER do business with Bendix King or MidContinent again if I could avoid it.  Doc  N123CV  and  N784DC
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: TruTrak (MidContinent) service Reply with quote

That is correct...the “whole package” (2 x Servos, 1 x GMC Controller and 1 x G5 EFIS) come out to right around $4K.

Cheers,
Stein

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Berck E. Nash
Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 7:17 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: RV10-List: TruTrak (MidContinent) service

You can drive the Garmin autopilot with a G5 which is "only" $1,300...

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:06 PM Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
Quote:

--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

7" screen size.

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Phil Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com (philperry9(at)gmail.com)>

Has anyone replaced their TT autopilot with the Garmin?   Specifically with a G3X based system?

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:34 AM, Saint Aviation <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)> wrote:
>
> --> RV10-List message posted by: Saint Aviation <jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)>
>
>
> Jesse Saint
> Saint Aviation, Inc.
> jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
>
>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Doc <docclv(at)windstream.net (docclv(at)windstream.net)> wrote:
>>
>> --> RV10-List message posted by: Doc <docclv(at)windstream.net (docclv(at)windstream.net)>
>>
>> Guys:  Tim's concerns about MidContinent's TruTrak service is legitimate.  It took me 7 months! and I would bet 100 emails and phone calls with Zach Williamson at Bendix King and Bruce Grammon at Midcontinint to to get the proper wiring schematics to make a Sorcerer work in my latest 10 last year.  Bruce had no idea what a TruTrak was until last June and admitted that Bendix King did not supply MidContinent with Mannuals, etc. even though MidContinent was the authorized repair center for TruTrak.  I sent the trim module (which MidContinent lost) and the Head to MidContinent Two times to be checked out only for Bruce to tell me it checked OK on the bench.  I finally got Zack at Bendix King to Get off his A-- and look at Installation Manuals IN DETAIL.  He said that the schematics sent with the Installation manuals did not show the changes in the newer units and Trim modules.  Once he shared that information with me, I now have a working Blue Screen (newer Sorcerer) that w!
 o!

Quote:
   r!
> ks. Like I said, this Saga took only 7 Months and several hundred dollars in shipping and a new Trim Module from EDMO Industries in Washington  I would NEVER do business with Bendix King or MidContinent again if I could avoid it.  Doc  N123CV  and  N784DC
>>
>>
>>
>

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TruTrak (MidContinent) service Reply with quote

stein(at)steinair.com wrote:
That is correct...the “whole package” (2 x Servos, 1 x GMC Controller and 1 x G5 EFIS) come out to right around $4K.

Cheers,
Stein

For less than $4K, you can get a Trio Pro complete with autotrim, and no stepper motors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: