Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ignition systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: ignition systems Reply with quote

My friends joke about the spare parts that I carry in the baggage area of my RV10. I am considering using a single side of electronic ignition and a single side magneto. Does anyone have a recommendation for reliable  non magneto ignition? Anyone who has installed electronic ignition have spare magneto?Also considering using the earth x batteries, anyone have any experience with Li ion batteries? Currently using Odyssey.

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rleffler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: ignition systems Reply with quote

I have had a pair of earthx installed for about three years. I’ve not had any issues and they work as advertised.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 3:02:40 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: ignition systems

My friends joke about the spare parts that I carry in the baggage area of my RV10. I am considering using a single side of electronic ignition and a single side magneto. Does anyone have a recommendation for reliable non magneto ignition? Anyone who has installed electronic ignition have spare magneto?Also considering using the earth x batteries, anyone have any experience with Li ion batteries? Currently using Odyssey.

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#x_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: ignition systems Reply with quote

Currently running a six cylinder pMag on one side, the original mag on the other on my old RV-10.  It works very well and provides significant efficiency gain.
The second mag will be replaced with another pMag when it comes due for maintenance/replacement.
If you use something other than a pMag, even if only on one side, you should add backup battery capacity for the ignition. I don’t consider loss of the ship power dependent EI, leaving you running only on the mag, as an acceptable risk. Your risk tolerance my be different.
Personally, I would not fly with and EarthX - for many reasons. For the RV-10 it also makes little sense as the battery(s) in the back are needed for W&B (unless you have some big AC unit back there).
Carl

Quote:
On Jan 9, 2021, at 3:15 PM, dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com> wrote:

My friends joke about the spare parts that I carry in the baggage area of my RV10. I am considering using a single side of electronic ignition and a single side magneto. Does anyone have a recommendation for reliable non magneto ignition? Anyone who has installed electronic ignition have spare magneto?Also considering using the earth x batteries, anyone have any experience with Li ion batteries? Currently using Odyssey.

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]
=================================== =================================== =================================== =================================== ===================================

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: ignition systems Reply with quote

As far as batteries my Odessey 975 is six years old and now will replace since volts drop enough on cranking to reboot the GTN650, which didn't happen a year or so ago. Still cranks fine and holds 12.9 volts for more than a week

Quote:
Sent from my TRS-80 Model 100

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 1:09 PM dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com (dlm34077(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
My friends joke about the spare parts that I carry in the baggage area of my RV10. I am considering using a single side of electronic ignition and a single side magneto. Does anyone have a recommendation for reliable  non magneto ignition? Anyone who has installed electronic ignition have spare magneto?Also considering using the earth x batteries, anyone have any experience with Li ion batteries? Currently using Odyssey.

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_7397935097313675189_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: ignition systems Reply with quote

Bob, how much did the earthx affect your W&B?  I like my Odyssey because it is very close to the weight of the plans specified Concord RG25-XC, with much stronger cranking.
Quote:

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I have had a pair of earthx installed for about three years.   I’ve not had any issues and they work as advertised.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com (dlm34077(at)gmail.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com) <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_8236920486102130967_x_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

rleffler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: ignition systems Reply with quote

I have a pair of them in the back. They were about nine pounds lighter than the pair of Oddessy 680s that I originally installed. I don’t remember their exact weight at the moment. The pair are probably similar to a standard single battery.

I don’t have any issues with CG.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 8:52:55 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: ignition systems

Bob, how much did the earthx affect your W&B? I like my Odyssey because it is very close to the weight of the plans specified Concord RG25-XC, with much stronger cranking.
Quote:

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I have had a pair of earthx installed for about three years. I’ve not had any issues and they work as advertised.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com (dlm34077(at)gmail.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com) <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#x_m_8236920486102130967_x_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Kellym

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: ignition systems Reply with quote

While I am sure there are some advantages, the down side for me would be
21 lbs lighter for a Earthx 900 vs my 925 and more than double the cost
for the same forecast life. The weight reduction certainly would get me
closer to Van's empty wt figures, not sure how much it would move the
envelope. Going with a pair of 680s comes in at 18 lbs lighter (26 vs Cool
at a cost of $300 more than the single 900.
For me the price would have to come down significantly.......otherwise
could be very desirable. Maybe in another 6-8 yrs.

On 1/9/2021 7:43 PM, Bob Leffler wrote:
Quote:
I have a pair of them in the back.  They were about nine pounds lighter
than the pair of Oddessy 680s that I originally installed.   I don’t
remember their exact weight at the moment.  The pair are probably
similar to a standard single battery.

I don’t have any issues with CG.

Get Outlook for iOS <https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
<owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Kelly McMullen
<apilot2(at)gmail.com>
*Sent:* Saturday, January 9, 2021 8:52:55 PM
*To:* rv10-list(at)matronics.com <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
*Subject:* Re: ignition systems

Bob, how much did the earthx affect your W&B?  I like my Odyssey because
it is very close to the weight of the plans specified Concord RG25-XC,
with much stronger cranking.

Sent from myTRS-80 Model 100

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com
<mailto:bob(at)thelefflers.com>> wrote:

I have had a pair of earthx installed for about three years.   I’ve
not had any issues and they work as advertised.

Get Outlook for iOS <https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
<mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com>
<owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com
<mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com>> on behalf of dlm
<dlm34077(at)gmail.com <mailto:dlm34077(at)gmail.com>>
*Sent:* Saturday, January 9, 2021 3:02:40 PM
*To:* rv10-list(at)matronics.com <mailto:rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
<rv10-list(at)matronics.com <mailto:rv10-list(at)matronics.com>>
*Subject:* ignition systems
My friends joke about the spare parts that I carry in the baggage
area of my RV10. I am considering using a single side of
electronic ignition and a single side magneto. Does anyone have a
recommendation for reliable  non magneto ignition? Anyone who has
installed electronic ignition have spare magneto?Also considering
using the earth x batteries, anyone have any experience with Li ion
batteries? Currently using Odyssey.

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>
Virus-free. www.avast.com
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>

<#x_m_8236920486102130967_x_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

bill.peyton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: ignition systems Reply with quote

I have two batteries, both odyssey one a PC625 and the other a PC680. I have a completely redundant electrical system with two alternators.

I personally would never use the Earthx or any other LI battery in my aircraft, even if it was mounted in a stainless steel vented box. It's just not worth it, the only thing it buys you at the moment is the weight savings, and that has never been an issue for me in 10 years and 1200 hours of flying.

IRT an ignition system. I have the Electroair system and the original retard breaker mag on the left. It's been working fine since installed 5 years ago. I would not run an electronic ignition without some form of electrical backup for it.

The P-mag provides its own power and is the most straight forward installation of all of the systems. It does not offer the energy and spark duration of the electroair, or the LSE, but it is significantly better than a magneto. The plus side is that it has it's own backup source.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: