Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking Battery Box for Group Size BTX20L Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Seeking Battery Box for Group Size BTX20L Battery Reply with quote

Folks,

I decided to try a cheap AGM battery in my airplane and it is working great. So well that I want to swap out the large battery box for one that is smaller and fits more nicely. But my battery (Super Start Power Sport Battery) is slightly larger than the EarthX batteries so their boxes won't fit.
Battery Dimensions: 6 1/8 (h) x 3 1/2 (w) x 7 (l)
Group Size BTX20L

Any thoughts on places to shop?
    -- Art Z.

--
My blog: CheerfulCurmudgeon.com
Wrinkles mean you laughed. Grey hair means you cared. Scars mean you lived.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Seeking Battery Box for Group Size BTX20L Battery Reply with quote

Charlie,
That looks very nice. I'm hoping to be lazy but might well have to fabricate something.
    -- Art Z.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 7:24 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
On 11/30/2022 5:26 PM, Art Zemon wrote:

Quote:
Folks,

I decided to try a cheap AGM battery in my airplane and it is working great. So well that I want to swap out the large battery box for one that is smaller and fits more nicely. But my battery (Super Start Power Sport Battery) is slightly larger than the EarthX batteries so their boxes won't fit.

Battery Dimensions: 6 1/8 (h) x 3 1/2 (w) x 7 (l)
Group Size BTX20L

Any thoughts on places to shop?

-- Art Z.

Hi Art,
I'd start in my scrap aluminum bin. Wink Here's what I did for a firewall mount on my RV7 project. There's a 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle running under the bottom of the tray. The other pic shows my previous RV4's battery installation. Since its firewall has a 'step', I simply set the battery on the conveniently provided shelf and used a long stainless hose clamp to hold it down. Note that the -4 spent quite a bit of time in, shall we say, unusual attitudes. Because these batteries only vent when horribly abused, if yours is inside the fuselage all that should be required is at most something around the base to keep it from shifting sideways (can be short sections of light weight angle) and a strap over the top to hold it down.

BTW, I'm sure that's a great battery, but I've been running the cheapest no-name AGMs I can find on Amazon or ebay for over 20 years. Prices have varied quite a bit depending on the price of lead, but I think the most I've paid is around $60. More typical is ~$40 for a 20-22AH battery. Some extra effort in reading spec sheets is required, but most in the 20AH range will start a Lyc without any issues. I've only had one early failure; I discovered a pinhole in one that was mounted in the -4 when it quit working after about 6 months. I'm certain it was already damaged when I installed it (likely shipping damage) and it took it 6 months to die. I typically get 4-5 years out of them unless I abuse them somehow, like forgetting the master after flying. I've recommended this technique to others as well, and no one's complained yet.

Hope that's useful info,

Charlie

Virus-free.www.avast.com[url=#m_3841175301807158884_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

--
​Wrinkles mean you laughed. Grey hair means you cared. Scars mean you lived.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Seeking Battery Box for Group Size BTX20L Battery Reply with quote

Bob,
You're absolutely right: a tray would be fine. I was sloppy when I wrote my email. I have a high-sided tray now and just want a smaller one.
In the BD-4, I have to bolt something tray-ish or box-ish to the supports behind the firewall. There are no horizontal surfaces FWF on which I can rest the battery.
    -- Art Z.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 11:30 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 05:26 PM 11/30/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
Folks,

I decided to try a cheap AGM battery in my airplane and it is working great. So well that I want to swap out the large battery box for one that is smaller and fits more nicely. But my battery ( Super Start Power Sport Battery) is slightly larger than the EarthX batteries so their boxes won't fit.

Why are you putting a box around an SVLA battery?
 The need for an enclosure is a legacy requirement
 for dealing with fumes and leaks from flooded
 batteries of yesteryear. Many were fitted with
 drains that would take bubbled-up acidic
 water overboard.

The SVLA battery contains so little liquid that
 it's not possible for it to make an acidic
 mess in the airplane.

All you need to do is capture the thing
 mechanically.

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Batteries/Battery_Install_OBrien_1.jpg
http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Batteries/Battery_Install_OBrien_2.jpg
http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Batteries/Battery_Install_OBrien_3.jpg

Some years back we did some studies on tensile strength
 of straps with Velcro closures. Some 1" wide straps
 with 6" of hook-n-loop engagement had a tensile
 strength of over 300 pounds. Two of those strips
 holding an SVLA battery in a shallow tray would
 offer retention in well over a 20G event. Best
 yet, you can secure the battery without tools!

Closing the battery up in a box only adds weight
 and cost of ownership, it reduces the battery's
 ability to reject heat.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
  survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
  out of that stuff?"

--
​Wrinkles mean you laughed. Grey hair means you cared. Scars mean you lived.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: