Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DB9 Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

I'm looking for a snap-on thin plastic shell that would clamp over a mated pair of DB9 connectors ( 1 male plugged into a female). Not a backshell but something that is easy to clip on and would protect the other wires in the loom from the metal edges of the connectors. It does not have to provide strain relief for the wires going into the connectors.
I've seen the plastic back shells that snap over each connector - I want something like that, but that clips over the mated pair.

Anyone ever seen something like this? Not even sure how to Google for this...

-Jeff

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

Seems like a good candidate for 3D printing Jeff.
Quote:
On 29 Nov 2023, at 5:02 pm, Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net> wrote:
I'm looking for a snap-on thin plastic shell that would clamp over a mated pair of DB9 connectors ( 1 male plugged into a female). Not a backshell but something that is easy to clip on and would protect the other wires in the loom from the metal edges of the connectors. It does not have to provide strain relief for the wires going into the connectors.
I've seen the plastic back shells that snap over each connector - I want something like that, but that clips over the mated pair.

-Jeff

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  1.39 KB
 Downloaded:  55 Time(s)

BobD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

Jeff, I'm not sure which part of the world you live in, but if the UK, I remember from Dragons Den a few years ago, someone came up with something similar to that you are looking for. It was called the chocbox, and made him quite a few quid as I recall. If you Google that, name, you will probably find what you are looking for.
Cheers
BobD

fly4grins(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

Quote:
>I'm looking for a snap-on thin plastic shell that would clamp over a mated
Quote:
pair of DB9 connectors ( 1 male plugged into a female).=C2- Not a backshe
ll but something that is easy to clip on and would protect the other wires
in the loom from the metal edges of the connectors.=C2- It does not have
to provide strain relief for the wires going into the connectors.

That might be a great spot for fusing silicone tape.  Not as sexy as a special 
purpose shell, but likely as effective and a better seal.
Just a thought- 

Ceengland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 12:05 AM Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net (jluckey(at)pacbell.net)> wrote:

Quote:
I'm looking for a snap-on thin plastic shell that would clamp over a mated pair of DB9 connectors ( 1 male plugged into a female).  Not a backshell but something that is easy to clip on and would protect the other wires in the loom from the metal edges of the connectors.  It does not have to provide strain relief for the wires going into the connectors.

Anyone ever seen something like this?  Not even sure how to Google for this...

-Jeff

Others have good suggestions, but my solution would be much more 'shade tree'. I'd use the regular covers on each side (sounds like you're doing that already), zip-tie the holes together, and wrap the flanges with a couple of turns of silicone repair tape (or even regular electrical tape).
Charlie

email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

Or perhaps a wrap of self-fusing tape?

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023, 01:59 Stuart Hutchison <stuart(at)stuarthutchison.com.au (stuart(at)stuarthutchison.com.au)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
On 29 Nov 2023, at 5:02 pm, Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net (jluckey(at)pacbell.net)> wrote:

I'm looking for a snap-on thin plastic shell that would clamp over a mated pair of DB9 connectors ( 1 male plugged into a female).  Not a backshell but something that is easy to clip on and would protect the other wires in the loom from the metal edges of the connectors.  It does not have to provide strain relief for the wires going into the connectors.

-Jeff

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/rescuetape.php?clickkey=9168

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023, 12:47 Jared Yates, <email(at)jaredyates.com (email(at)jaredyates.com)> wrote:

Quote:

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023, 01:59 Stuart Hutchison <stuart(at)stuarthutchison.com.au (stuart(at)stuarthutchison.com.au)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
On 29 Nov 2023, at 5:02 pm, Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net (jluckey(at)pacbell.net)> wrote:

-Jeff

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

BobD - the ChocBlock is the right idea but is designed to a hold terminal block.

Stuart - You suggested some 3D printing - I had the same thought as I was writing the original message...but I don't have a printer and I'd rather buy COTS than have to roll my own. (The hardest part of that would be the 3D CAD, since I don't do 3D CAD;)

All others - valid suggestions, some of which I had considered.
Thanks to all,

-Jeff

On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 12:58:13 PM PST, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023, 12:47 Jared Yates, <email(at)jaredyates.com (email(at)jaredyates.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Jeff

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

I do what someone else does….zip tie through the screw holes.  

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 17:43 Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net (jluckey(at)pacbell.net)> wrote:

Quote:

BobD - the ChocBlock is the right idea but is designed to a hold terminal block.

Stuart - You suggested some 3D printing - I had the same thought as I was writing the original message...but I don't have a printer and I'd rather buy COTS than have to roll my own. (The hardest part of that would be the 3D CAD, since I don't do 3D CAD;)

Thanks to all,

-Jeff

On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 12:58:13 PM PST, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Jeff

mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

I also recall something where you snip the tags off to make it smaller and seal the whole thing with shrink tube

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of William Daniell
Sent: November 30, 2023 4:56 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: DB9 Cover

I do what someone else does….zip tie through the screw holes.

On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 17:43 Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net (jluckey(at)pacbell.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks to all,

-Jeff

On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 12:58:13 PM PST, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-Jeff

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

At 12:02 AM 11/29/2023, you wrote:
Quote:

What conditions suggest a need for extra
enclosure? Have you considered any of the
contemporary automotive connectors?

A particularly promising line of products
is manufactured by Deutsch. I've posted
and excerpt of their catalog at

https://tinyurl.com/yoynwxtk

These connectors off a full range
of pins in both open barrel and
quad-crimp styles . . . even gold
plated! Amazon offers some of these
devices.

These connectors are scuba-dive/sand-
storm ready right out of the box.

Deutsch the only game in town either.

Bob . . .

////
(o o)
===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
< Go ahead, make my day . . . >
< show me where I'm wrong. >
=================================

In the interest of creative evolution
of the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
on physics and good practice.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

Quote:
Amazon offers some of these
devices.

https://tinyurl.com/Jready2

Bob . . .

////
(o o)

Voyager

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

Yes, Deutsch connectors are good stuff, but pricey. I still use Weatherpack as they are available at reasonable prices for the real stuff. Much of the “Deutsch” product sold on Amazon are Chinese knock-offs. If they price is much lower than places like Mouser and DigiKey, it is Chinese junk.

Weatherpack are old technology and a fair bit bulkier than Deutsch, but they are rugged and reliable and less expensive than Deutsch for places where size isn’t a paramount consideration and you don’t need more than 6 pins. I look at Weatherpack as being like standard density dsub and Deutsch being high density dsub equivalents.
Matt
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2023, at 5:16 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

Quote:

devices.

Bob . . .

////
(o o)

Voyager

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

This appears to be a decent source (just placed my first order with them so can’t be sure yet) for genuine Deutsch, Weatherpack and Metripack and they sell single connector kits which are nice to ensure you get all of the right parts. Ordering all parts a la carts can get confusing. https://www.customconnectorkits.com/

I’ve ordered my prior Weatherpack connectors and tools from https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/wiring-components/weather-pack-kits/ and have had good experience with them. Their main limitation is they only sell up to 20 AWG contacts and I needed some 22-24 contacts for my Ray Allen trim wires. Custom Connector carries the smaller size Weatherpack contacts and kits.
Matt
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2023, at 5:24 PM, Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com> wrote:

Yes, Deutsch connectors are good stuff, but pricey. I still use Weatherpack as they are available at reasonable prices for the real stuff. Much of the “Deutsch” product sold on Amazon are Chinese knock-offs. If they price is much lower than places like Mouser and DigiKey, it is Chinese junk.

Weatherpack are old technology and a fair bit bulkier than Deutsch, but they are rugged and reliable and less expensive than Deutsch for places where size isn’t a paramount consideration and you don’t need more than 6 pins. I look at Weatherpack as being like standard density dsub and Deutsch being high density dsub equivalents.
Matt
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2023, at 5:16 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

Quote:

devices.

Bob . . .

////
(o o)

Eric Page

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: DB9 Cover Reply with quote

There's a good alternative to Deutsch connectors. Amphenol make exact duplicates of the entire range of Deutsch parts. Every component is entirely interchangeable with the equivalent Deutsch parts and they sell for significantly less than Deutsch. The Amphenol versions are available in multiple housing colors and keying options to prevent misconnecting similar connectors in the same harness, and Amphenol offer many more accessory items like shrink boots and mounting brackets than Deutsch.

The Amphenol connectors' series designations are similar to Deutsch (links to manufacturer product pages):

Deutsch DTM = Amphenol ATM (Size 20 contacts, 7.5A ea.)
Deutsch DT = Amphenol AT (Size 16 contacts, 13A ea.)
Deutsch DTP = Amphenol ATP (Size 12 contacts, 25A ea.)

Look at the bottom of each Amphenol product page for downloadable PDF brochures that explain all of the available components and how they work.

Below are links to Digi-Key part lists with all of the required components to form a basic plug/receptacle pair for each Amphenol series. Click "+" to the left of each part to see alternatives. Watch pin/socket part numbers carefully; there are different contacts for different wire AWG (the "Contacts" brochures are a good guide).

Amphenol ATM
Amphenol AT
Amphenol ATP

For each connector pair, you need the following parts:
-Plug housing
-Plug wedgelock
-Female socket contacts
-Receptacle housing
-Receptacle wedgelock
-Male pin contacts
-2x sealing plugs (for each unused position)

Assuming that you use machined contacts, then for crimping tools the Iwiss brand are good quality at low prices. The IWD-12, IWD-16 (or IWD-1620) and IWD-20 are the tools to look for. Iwiss also sell the tools under their iCrimp brand. The tool part numbers correlate to the contact sizes above (the -16 and -1620 both crimp size 16 contacts; the -16 handles 14-18AWG while the -1620 handles 16-20AWG). All four are readily available on Amazon or eBay under both brand names.

Or, if you prefer genuine Amphenol tooling (which looks like it might be made under contract by Iwiss), those are the AUTK-12, AUTK-16 and AUTK-20.

-Eric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: