Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel filters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: fuel filters Reply with quote

Do you have a part number handy??? I looked, and the choices are huge!!!
Anybody else go this route??
My fellow RV-10 builder added a second Vans filter and mounted them
under the front seats in place of the one in the tunnel.
I plan on adding filters in the wing root like Les did, and for the same
reasons.

Linn

On 3/25/2015 9:10 AM, kearney wrote:
Quote:

Hi

Agree with David's comment on the fuel filters. One of the "legacy" items from my earlier filters install was placement of fuel filters in the wing roots. I was able to install two Earl's Performance filters - one in each wing root. They are user serviceable and easily accessed simply by removing the wing root cover panel. Now I don't have to contort myself to get at them as I would if they were in the tunnel.

Regular cleaning, especially when first flying, is a must. There can be a lot of accumulated crud when building.

I also installed an access panel on the pilot's side wall of the tunnel for easy access to the aux fuel pump.

Cheer

Les

easily(at)me.com wrote:
> AirMike wrote:
>> I just followed the standard plans and crushed the large scat tube to fit the space. After 5 years no problems with chafe or perforation. It is ugly, but it works. Deems' installation is obviously 1st class, but a bit of extra work.
>>
>> I would say two far more important issues are : 1) the cheap aluminum air distribution boxes on the firewall supplied by Vans. I suggest using only the excellent (after market) fire resistant stainless steel steel boxes. Could save your life. 2) Also, if I were building again, I would improvise easier access to the fuel system (in the tunnel) - pump and filter - for easy servicing. Servicing the fuel filter is a real pain. Top and side access portals would facilitate servicing.
>
> I did the same thing with the large scat and it works fine. Coming up on 7 years with no issues, but as Mike says, it is ugly. However, I am the only one that looks at it! ^_^
> I agree with Mike's comments about the aluminum heat distribution box and tunnel access. I even thought about making a belly access panel, ala Piper, but that would introduce some other engineering issues I imagine. You will thank yourself later on if you make access to the fuel filter as easy as possible.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=439860#439860

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
kearney

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel filters Reply with quote

Linn

These are what I used : http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/ear-230206erl

I flow tested them at something north of 50 GPH so they are well suited to our application (IMHO). The screens are easily removed and cleaned. I have done so several times.

When I first was flying, I had to install gascolators to meet inspection requirements. These I had in the wig roots and the filters were under the seat. Accessing them was a real pain. I wanted easy access. I certainly didn't want them in the tunnel.

When I received permission to remove gascolators, I moved the filters to the wing roots. Much easier access (5 minutes and they are both out).

Also, rather than ruin a solid line from the tunnel to the fuel tank, I ran the line to a bulkhead minutes on the fues sidewall. It was easy to mount the filter between this and the tank outlet.

Cheers

Les
[quote="flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com"]Do you have a part number handy??? I looked, and the choices are huge!!!
Anybody else go this route??
My fellow RV-10 builder added a second Vans filter and mounted them
under the front seats in place of the one in the tunnel.
I plan on adding filters in the wing root like Les did, and for the same
reasons.

Linn

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kearney

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel filters Reply with quote

Hi

As requested by Patrick, here is a pix of of my wing root fuel filter. I misspoke in my earlier post when I said I used a bulkhead union for the line. I didn't as I had a connection at the filter I could break. It is hard to see but I used a 90 degree AN fitting to attach the top of the line to the filter.

Lest anyone ask, the other line to the tank is a return line, another Subie legacy item that proved useful.

Cheers

Les

IMG_2116.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.95 KB
 Viewed:  3396 Time(s)

IMG_2116.jpg

johngoodman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: fuel filters Reply with quote

I used the Summit brand filter, but they are all good.
John

#40572 Phase One complete in 2011
maryAidan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel filters Reply with quote

All are OK mapquest

timothyferriss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel filters Reply with quote

Consulting with experienced builders or forums dedicated to RV-10 construction might provide valuable insights immaculate grid and recommendations regarding specific parts and their compatibility with your aircraft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: