Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help for tap off starter cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel.m.newman.au(at)gma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: help for tap off starter cable Reply with quote

Good morning
I'm in Australia, building an RV-8, with rear-mounted batteries.
For the main feed from battery to starter and alternators, I'm using Tycab 35mm^2 flexible power and welding wire, part # ZDU1112102. On its ends I'm using Cabac CAL 35-6 tinned coper crimp lugs.
However, I'd like to tap off this cable about half way along it to feed to my electrical/avionics bus. One way to do it would be to just break the cable, using lugs and a 6mm stud. I'm thinking about an alternative, stripping off about 20mm of insulation and wrapping with a copper tag, similar to Aero-Electric Connection book Figure 9-5 flag terminal. The wrap around the wire could be either soldered or crimped.
Has anyone tried anything like this? Is there any reason why this might be a bad or good idea?
Thank you for your help and advice.
Dan Newman

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Ceengland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: help for tap off starter cable Reply with quote

On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 7:20 PM Dan Newman <daniel.m.newman.au(at)gmail.com (daniel.m.newman.au(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Good morning
For the main feed from battery to starter and alternators, I'm using Tycab 35mm^2 flexible power and welding wire, part # ZDU1112102.  On its ends I'm using Cabac  CAL 35-6 tinned coper crimp lugs.
However, I'd like to tap off this cable about half way along it to feed to my electrical/avionics bus.  One way to do it would be to just break the cable, using lugs and a 6mm stud.  I'm thinking about an alternative, stripping off about 20mm of insulation and wrapping with a copper tag, similar to Aero-Electric Connection book Figure 9-5 flag terminal.  The wrap around the wire could be either soldered or crimped.
Has anyone tried anything like this?  Is there any reason why this might be a bad or good idea?
Dan Newman

Hi Dan, 
I wouldn't do it. Unless you're doing something very unusual in where you're mounting your primary bus, it will logically be between the instrument panel and the firewall; barely 18" of length difference, and actually closer to the electrical bus than a mid-point cut/splice. If you're trying to minimize firewall penetrations, I'd consider mounting the starter contactor on the cold side of the firewall. Then the 'hot' side of the starter contactor is still your distribution point, and only the starter cable penetrates the firewall (other than control/monitoring stuff, of course).
FWIW,
Charlie

Virus-free.www.avast.com[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ashleysc(at)broadstripe.n

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: help for tap off starter cable Reply with quote

Hi Dan; Where are you going to tie in your ammeter? You want to measure all the current going to and from the battery.
Cheers! Stu.
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2024 5:15:18 PM
Subject: help for tap off starter cable
/*<![CDATA[*/pre, code, address { margin: 0.0px; } h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.2em; } ol, ul { margin-top: 0.0em; margin-bottom: 0.0em; } blockquote { margin-top: 0.0em; margin-bottom: 0.0em; } /*]]>*/
Good morning

For the main feed from battery to starter and alternators, I'm using Tycab 35mm^2 flexible power and welding wire, part # ZDU1112102. On its ends I'm using Cabac CAL 35-6 tinned coper crimp lugs.

However, I'd like to tap off this cable about half way along it to feed to my electrical/avionics bus. One way to do it would be to just break the cable, using lugs and a 6mm stud. I'm thinking about an alternative, stripping off about 20mm of insulation and wrapping with a copper tag, similar to Aero-Electric Connection book Figure 9-5 flag terminal. The wrap around the wire could be either soldered or crimped.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Is there any reason why this might be a bad or good idea?

Dan Newman

user9253

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: help for tap off starter cable Reply with quote

If Charlie's good advice does not fit your situation and you think it better to
make a splice, then I would NOT make a flag terminal as described in fig 9-5
because it is designed for connecting to a battery. The screw and nut are
unnecessary failure points and so is the ring terminal that is clamped to the
flag. Perhaps a variation of this method would work for you:
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Tech_Tips/Solder_Lap_Splicing/Solder_Lap_Splices.html
Make the splice as you intended without cutting the large cable, except, instead
of a flag, wrap the small wire to the large cable with a fine strand and solder.
Protect the splice against vibration.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: