Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Flush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philperry9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Engine Flush Reply with quote

I have a friend who just bought a C-170 and he’s wanting to flush the engine to remove any sludge and deposits around the piston rings.

It seems like (5 ish) years ago there was a post with this procedure. Something along the lines of drain the oil. Put the each piston on a compression stroke. Pour mineral spirits into the cyl, then pull the piston up with the prop allowing mineral spirits to pass through the rings and ultimately into the sump - where it’s drained.

Does anyone have a copy of that procedure? I’d like to give it to him if I can find a copy of it.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Engine Flush Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
I would recommend against such a procedure. The options I would
consider is to either add a quart of MMO, then warm engine up or a
single trip around the pattern.
Other method would be to do oil change, then add recommended amount of
Camguard, and fly for a short # of hours, say 15-20, before drain and
repeat. Cessna 170s did not come with an oil filter, only a screen.
The problem with using something like mineral spirits is that it
seriously degrades the lubricity of the oil. MMO has a little bit better
lubricity.
Were supposed to get 25 hour changes. They have a magnesium oil sump,
which tends to collect moisture around the two oil drains and corrode
the sump. There is no approved repair, especially if it corrodes enough
to leak.
What type of rings it has matters as well. A lot of them with overhauls
30-40 years ago got chrome cylinders with cast iron rings. Even those
with standard rings have a tendency as they get higher time to break one
or more compression rings. This includes both C170s and C172s with the
O-300 engine.
Given that tendency, I would be careful with how diluted the oil might
be. (yes I had it happen in both my 170 and a flying club 172.) You
would not want to flush varnish and sludge out of the ring lands too fast.

Kelly

On 11/16/2020 7:38 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
Quote:

I have a friend who just bought a C-170 and he’s wanting to flush the engine to remove any sludge and deposits around the piston rings.

It seems like (5 ish) years ago there was a post with this procedure. Something along the lines of drain the oil. Put the each piston on a compression stroke. Pour mineral spirits into the cyl, then pull the piston up with the prop allowing mineral spirits to pass through the rings and ultimately into the sump - where it’s drained.

Does anyone have a copy of that procedure? I’d like to give it to him if I can find a copy of it.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Engine Flush Reply with quote

I don’t have a copy of the procedure, but our mechanics use that here once in a while. They just told me about it a couple months ago. It wasn’t just mineral spirits, but a couple other chemicals to I believe. Let me see if I can find out from them.
Tim

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2020, at 8:48 PM, Phil Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Engine Flush Reply with quote

I just asked one of the mechanics. He was happy to talk because he has Covid, along with his brother and another person at the FBO. They’re going stir crazy. He said it is 1 quart of MEK, 1 quart of xylene, 1 quart of hundredweight oil, and 2 quarts of mineral spirits. That’s what they remember off the top of their head.

Hope that helps.
Tim

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:06 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:

I don’t have a copy of the procedure, but our mechanics use that here once in a while. They just told me about it a couple months ago. It wasn’t just mineral spirits, but a couple other chemicals to I believe. Let me see if I can find out from them.
Tim

> On Nov 16, 2020, at 8:48 PM, Phil Perry <philperry9(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 
>
> I have a friend who just bought a C-170 and he’s wanting to flush the engine to remove any sludge and deposits around the piston rings.
>
> It seems like (5 ish) years ago there was a post with this procedure. Something along the lines of drain the oil. Put the each piston on a compression stroke. Pour mineral spirits into the cyl, then pull the piston up with the prop allowing mineral spirits to pass through the rings and ultimately into the sump - where it’s drained.
>
> Does anyone have a copy of that procedure? I’d like to give it to him if I can find a copy of it.
>
> Phil
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>
>

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Engine Flush Reply with quote

Kelly,
I’ve never done this before so my questions my be bad.

I do know though that they don’t run the engine with this mixture. It’s put in the cylinder through the spark plug holes on the compression stroke and squeezed through the rings. Then drained and you change oil a couple times and go on the way. Does that change your opinion of it? From your reply it sounded like maybe you expected it to be added to the oil?
Tim

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:20 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

Hi Phil,
I would recommend against such a procedure. The options I would consider is to either add a quart of MMO, then warm engine up or a single trip around the pattern.
Other method would be to do oil change, then add recommended amount of Camguard, and fly for a short # of hours, say 15-20, before drain and repeat. Cessna 170s did not come with an oil filter, only a screen.
The problem with using something like mineral spirits is that it seriously degrades the lubricity of the oil. MMO has a little bit better lubricity.
Were supposed to get 25 hour changes. They have a magnesium oil sump, which tends to collect moisture around the two oil drains and corrode the sump. There is no approved repair, especially if it corrodes enough to leak.
What type of rings it has matters as well. A lot of them with overhauls 30-40 years ago got chrome cylinders with cast iron rings. Even those with standard rings have a tendency as they get higher time to break one or more compression rings. This includes both C170s and C172s with the O-300 engine.
Given that tendency, I would be careful with how diluted the oil might be. (yes I had it happen in both my 170 and a flying club 172.) You would not want to flush varnish and sludge out of the ring lands too fast.

Kelly

> On 11/16/2020 7:38 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
>
> I have a friend who just bought a C-170 and he’s wanting to flush the engine to remove any sludge and deposits around the piston rings.
> It seems like (5 ish) years ago there was a post with this procedure. Something along the lines of drain the oil. Put the each piston on a compression stroke. Pour mineral spirits into the cyl, then pull the piston up with the prop allowing mineral spirits to pass through the rings and ultimately into the sump - where it’s drained.
> Does anyone have a copy of that procedure? I’d like to give it to him if I can find a copy of it.
> Phil
> Sent from my iPhone

philperry9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Engine Flush Reply with quote

That sounds correct, Tim.

I have a procedure fir it somewhere but haven’t found it. Appreciate the info (and thoughts Kelly).

I’m going to dig around a bit more and if I can find it, I’ll pass it along.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:48 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:

Kelly,

I do know though that they don’t run the engine with this mixture. It’s put in the cylinder through the spark plug holes on the compression stroke and squeezed through the rings. Then drained and you change oil a couple times and go on the way. Does that change your opinion of it? From your reply it sounded like maybe you expected it to be added to the oil?
Tim

> On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:20 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:
>
> 
>
> Hi Phil,
> I would recommend against such a procedure. The options I would consider is to either add a quart of MMO, then warm engine up or a single trip around the pattern.
> Other method would be to do oil change, then add recommended amount of Camguard, and fly for a short # of hours, say 15-20, before drain and repeat. Cessna 170s did not come with an oil filter, only a screen.
> The problem with using something like mineral spirits is that it seriously degrades the lubricity of the oil. MMO has a little bit better lubricity.
> Were supposed to get 25 hour changes. They have a magnesium oil sump, which tends to collect moisture around the two oil drains and corrode the sump. There is no approved repair, especially if it corrodes enough to leak.
> What type of rings it has matters as well. A lot of them with overhauls 30-40 years ago got chrome cylinders with cast iron rings. Even those with standard rings have a tendency as they get higher time to break one or more compression rings. This includes both C170s and C172s with the O-300 engine.
> Given that tendency, I would be careful with how diluted the oil might be. (yes I had it happen in both my 170 and a flying club 172.) You would not want to flush varnish and sludge out of the ring lands too fast.
>
> Kelly
>
>>> On 11/16/2020 7:38 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
>>
>> I have a friend who just bought a C-170 and he’s wanting to flush the engine to remove any sludge and deposits around the piston rings.
>> It seems like (5 ish) years ago there was a post with this procedure. Something along the lines of drain the oil. Put the each piston on a compression stroke. Pour mineral spirits into the cyl, then pull the piston up with the prop allowing mineral spirits to pass through the rings and ultimately into the sump - where it’s drained.
>> Does anyone have a copy of that procedure? I’d like to give it to him if I can find a copy of it.
>> Phil
>> Sent from my iPhone
>
>
>

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Engine Flush Reply with quote

Tim,
I could see someone trying to run the engine. However, even in the case
that they did as prescribed, those are very strong chemicals and by the
time you do all six, parts of the engine will not be lubricated, and
sludge, varnish etc tend to loosen and come out unpredictably. IMHO it
would be much safer to do 25 hour changes with normal oil and a dose of
Camguard. It will do a lot to clean inside the engine without ever
subjecting it to poor lubrication. The other thing it that the only time
something like that might be warranted is if there are known stuck
rings. Otherwise you are just increasing ring land gaps putting more
stress on the rings.
Kelly

On 11/16/2020 8:42 PM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:

Kelly,

Tim

> On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:20 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:
>
> 
>
> Hi Phil,
> I would recommend against such a procedure. The options I would consider is to either add a quart of MMO, then warm engine up or a single trip around the pattern.
> Other method would be to do oil change, then add recommended amount of Camguard, and fly for a short # of hours, say 15-20, before drain and repeat. Cessna 170s did not come with an oil filter, only a screen.
> The problem with using something like mineral spirits is that it seriously degrades the lubricity of the oil. MMO has a little bit better lubricity.
> Were supposed to get 25 hour changes. They have a magnesium oil sump, which tends to collect moisture around the two oil drains and corrode the sump. There is no approved repair, especially if it corrodes enough to leak.
> What type of rings it has matters as well. A lot of them with overhauls 30-40 years ago got chrome cylinders with cast iron rings. Even those with standard rings have a tendency as they get higher time to break one or more compression rings. This includes both C170s and C172s with the O-300 engine.
> Given that tendency, I would be careful with how diluted the oil might be. (yes I had it happen in both my 170 and a flying club 172.) You would not want to flush varnish and sludge out of the ring lands too fast.
>
> Kelly
>
>> On 11/16/2020 7:38 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
>>
>> I have a friend who just bought a C-170 and he’s wanting to flush the engine to remove any sludge and deposits around the piston rings.
>> It seems like (5 ish) years ago there was a post with this procedure. Something along the lines of drain the oil. Put the each piston on a compression stroke. Pour mineral spirits into the cyl, then pull the piston up with the prop allowing mineral spirits to pass through the rings and ultimately into the sump - where it’s drained.
>> Does anyone have a copy of that procedure? I’d like to give it to him if I can find a copy of it.
>> Phil
>> Sent from my iPhone
>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: