Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

Anybody have any information on the JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator for the stock generator?

I have one and I'm converting to a B&C alternator.

Looks like the way the JYT-1 is set up its pretty much just a matter of connecting the canon plug wires to the right pins on the B&C LS-1A regulator.

But any information would be helpful. Doug sells the JTY-1 with a "conversion kit" -- anybody ever done that?

Thought I'd check here before bugging Doug too much.

Thanks,
Jon

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
markbitterlich(at)embarqm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

You are spot on in every regard. A voltage regulator for a generator (solid state or otherwise) is a completely different animal than an alternator regulator.  

Mark
N50YK
-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/29/21 7:50 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Yak-List: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator

I’m not positive by any means, but I’d be surprised if the generator regulator can drive the B&C alternator. B&C’s alternator regulator is ~$200. It’s built for the alternator and is tiny and easy to install.  
I wrote up a how-to when I put it my B&C in my CJ last month and posted it to the CJ folder of the RPA website library. I didn’t have the solid state regulator (mine is older), but the wiring should be similar (I think your regulator is mounted behind the pilot while mine was on the firewall). Hopefully that write up helps!
I can chat if you’d like too. To your actual question of using the old regulator to run the new alternator, I don’t know if you can but I wouldn’t bother trying it - the right regulator isn’t a huge jump and works perfectly. 
Jesse

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 9:43 PM Jon Boede <jonboede(at)hotmail.com (jonboede(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Anybody have any information on the JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator for the stock generator?

Looks like the way the JYT-1 is set up its pretty much just a matter of connecting the canon plug wires to the right pins on the B&C LS-1A regulator.

But any information would be helpful.  Doug sells the JTY-1 with a "conversion kit" -- anybody ever done that? 

Thanks,
Jon

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

I am saying that the B&C regulator can be used with the B&C alternator by simply cutting the old JTY-1 regulator at the canon plug pigtail and connecting those wires to the right pins on the B&C regulator.

That’s it, that’s the whole install. (Other than replacing the generator itself with the alternator and running the old wires to it). 

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Mark Bitterlich <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com> wrote:

You are spot on in every regard. A voltage regulator for a generator (solid state or otherwise) is a completely different animal than an alternator regulator.  

Mark
N50YK

I’m not positive by any means, but I’d be surprised if the generator regulator can drive the B&C alternator. B&C’s alternator regulator is ~$200. It’s built for the alternator and is tiny and easy to install.  

I wrote up a how-to when I put it my B&C in my CJ last month and posted it to the CJ folder of the RPA website library. I didn’t have the solid state regulator (mine is older), but the wiring should be similar (I think your regulator is mounted behind the pilot while mine was on the firewall). Hopefully that write up helps!

I can chat if you’d like too. To your actual question of using the old regulator to run the new alternator, I don’t know if you can but I wouldn’t bother trying it - the right regulator isn’t a huge jump and works perfectly. 

Jesse

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 9:43 PM Jon Boede <jonboede(at)hotmail.com (jonboede(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

But any information would be helpful.  Doug sells the JTY-1 with a "conversion kit" -- anybody ever done that? 

Thanks,
Jon

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

Here is my diagram of the modified electrical diagram. It was for a Jasco alternator. I believe the same sensing as the B&C alternator. You can see that I used a relay to reverse the sensing of the alternator to run the alternator inop lights.

George

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Jon Boede
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2021 11:39 PM
Subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator

But any information would be helpful. Doug sells the JTY-1 with a "conversion kit" -- anybody ever done that?

Thanks,

Jon

Yak_Alternator_diagram..png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.02 MB
 Viewed:  2453 Time(s)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

Doing this from memory.

The field wire to generator can be reused going to field of Alt.  New circuit breaker will be needed for Alternator output to main bus. Recommend 30 amps or less for SK35.  Wire from main bus through Gen switch in cockpit can be reused, although current limiting is incorrect from Gen switch. You could add a breaker.  Gen light and alt light from ls1a are not compatible.   LS1A is actually a low voltage light need breaker for that. Ls1a provides the ground for the light as I remember and can burn up easily, very very low current rating.  Gen light circuit in cockpit COULD be made to work, but I am not sure about CJ, only Yaks and Sukes.
Date: 3/29/21 12:03 PM (GMT-05:00)

I am saying that the B&C regulator can be used with the B&C alternator by simply cutting the old JTY-1 regulator at the canon plug pigtail and connecting those wires to the right pins on the B&C regulator.

That’s it, that’s the whole install. (Other than replacing the generator itself with the alternator and running the old wires to it). 

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Mark Bitterlich <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com> wrote:

Mark
N50YK

Jesse

Quote:

Thanks,
Jon

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

I am far from an expert on electrical matters generally and Nanchang more specifically, but I we have been involved in installing the B&C lightweight alternator and voltage controller into many Yaks. One clearly gets advantage of a lighter weight rather than that big 3 kW GS 3000 generator and also solid-state reliability. BUT, to my mind, a huge advantage is being able to get rid of all the very heavy, although technically excellent electro-mechanical voltage control equipment fitted to these aircraft as standard and which weighs a significant amount!

Richard Goode

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Jon Boede
Sent: 29 March 2021 16:59
Subject: Re: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]><![endif]>
Quote:

On Mar 29, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Mark Bitterlich <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com (markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com)> wrote:

Mark

N50YK

From: Jesse Ziegler <ziegler.jesse(at)gmail.com (ziegler.jesse(at)gmail.com)>

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Subject: Re: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator

Jesse

Quote:

Thanks,

Jon

jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

The generator switch is a JK-1, a pure switch. It can be replaced with a ZKC-5, which looks just like the JK-1 but is also a 5A circuit breaker. The question I have for B&C is whether this switch and CB can be downstream of their LS-1A regulator or if they have to be upstream. 

I’m having the B&C regulator drive the existing warning light relay. That relay has a  375 ohm coil, so only about 0.07A draw. I guess I should ask B&C if that’s ok, but that’s a really low draw. 

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2021, at 11:35 AM, Mark Bitterlich <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com> wrote:

Doing this from memory.

The field wire to generator can be reused going to field of Alt.  New circuit breaker will be needed for Alternator output to main bus. Recommend 30 amps or less for SK35.  Wire from main bus through Gen switch in cockpit can be reused, although current limiting is incorrect from Gen switch. You could add a breaker.  Gen light and alt light from ls1a are not compatible.   LS1A is actually a low voltage light need breaker for that. Ls1a provides the ground for the light as I remember and can burn up easily, very very low current rating.  Gen light circuit in cockpit COULD be made to work, but I am not sure about CJ, only Yaks and Sukes.

Quote:

Mark
N50YK

Jesse

Quote:

Thanks,
Jon

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

Here is my diagram of the modified electrical diagram. It was for a Jasco alternator. I believe the same sensing as the B&C alternator. You can see that I used a relay to reverse the sensing of the alternator to run the alternator inop lights.

George

Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2021 11:39 PM
Subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator

Thanks,

Jon

Description:
 Filesize:  2.02 MB
 Viewed:  2450 Time(s)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: JTY-1 solid state voltage regulator Reply with quote

I've asked B&C about the light circuit.  70 milliamp is well within spec. That's exactly what I did with Yaks and Sukes. Make sure you have a diode across the coil to prevent a reverse current spike.

The 5 Amp breaker is protecting field current draw. Between bus and ls1a. Not sure what you meant about the other? 
One warning, a hard short on the output will take out the alternator. Breakers can take a split second to pop, which is why I put in a lower current main breaker. Your call.
Date: 3/29/21 1:23 PM (GMT-05:00)

The generator switch is a JK-1, a pure switch. It can be replaced with a ZKC-5, which looks just like the JK-1 but is also a 5A circuit breaker. The question I have for B&C is whether this switch and CB can be downstream of their LS-1A regulator or if they have to be upstream. 

I’m having the B&C regulator drive the existing warning light relay. That relay has a  375 ohm coil, so only about 0.07A draw. I guess I should ask B&C if that’s ok, but that’s a really low draw. 

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2021, at 11:35 AM, Mark Bitterlich <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com> wrote:

Doing this from memory.

Quote:

Mark
N50YK

Jesse

Quote:

Thanks,
Jon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: