Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z101b with Shunts, Shunts as Fuse Link Junctions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Z101b with Shunts, Shunts as Fuse Link Junctions Reply with quote

Z101b has a very nice implementation of a single Hall Effect sensor for both alternator B-leads. The trouble I have is that I don't have an ammeter that can use a Hall Effect sensor.

I can see a few options. One is to install two shunts and use a DPDT switch to select which one presents on the ammeter. 
If I go this route, is it kosher to integrate the alternator B-lead fuse link at the shunt? For example, for the main alternator, can I run an 8g wire from the alternator to one end of the shunt, then on the other end of the shunt, run a 4" piece of 12g wire to the starter contactor? The same strategy would work for the standby alternator, with slightly different numbers and attach points.

Another option is to seek out a stand-alone ammeter that senses with a Hall Effect Sensor. But that is likely to be more expensive and more work to integrate at this stage. Is there such a thing?
Thanks!
Jared

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
david(at)carter.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Z101b with Shunts, Shunts as Fuse Link Junctions Reply with quote

Quote:
I included that feature only because the glass-
  cockpit guys include in their products. Why?
  Cause they can for very little cost . . . 
One thing I've learned as I'm finalizing the avionics interconnects on my Garmin G3X panel: general-purpose analog-to-digital inputs can be a scarce commodity, depending on your needs. They are only available on the GEA 24 Engine Indication System box, and there are only 7. (There are separate dedicated Shunt 1 & Shunt 2 inputs available.) Someone might choose a shunt over the Hall-effect sensor to free up an A/D input channel. Or go without current measurement as Bob suggests. 

How could you run out of general-purpose A/D inputs? 
1 - elevator trim position sensor
2 - aileron trim position sensor
3 - rudder trim position sensor
4 - flaps position sensor
5 - exhaust O2 sensor
6 - timing advance from electronic ignition 
7 - bus 1 Hall effect current sensor
8 - bus 1 Hall effect current sensor

9 - cabin CO monitor
10 - pilot SPO2 monitor
11 - O2 bottle pressure sensor
etc. 
In my configuration, I'll have the following: 
1 - elevator trim position sensor
2 - flaps position sensor

3 - exhaust O2 sensor
4 - timing advance from electronic ignition 
5 - Main/Aux alternator current Hall effect sensor
6 - cabin CO monitor

7 - spare (who knows what I'll come up with in the future!)
I'll monitor O2 bottle pressure, pilot blood oxygen level, outside humidity, and outside dewpoint values via an app on the iPad. (all via products from Aithre)
Quote:

---
David Carter
david(at)carter.net (david(at)carter.net)
Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Z101b with Shunts, Shunts as Fuse Link Junctions Reply with quote

An ammeter is optional. As long as the voltage is above 13.5, you will know that the alternator is working. The pilot does not need to know how many amps the alternator is putting out. It is useful to know current for troubleshooting purposes. Save troubleshooting for when safely on the ground using a handheld meter. If desired to know amps while airborne, install a shunt on the standby alternator to help manage loads. There is no need to know amps while the primary alternator is working.
What kind of EFIS are you going to install? If none, have you considered a GRT EIS Engine Monitor? I believe it works with a HALL effect sensor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: