Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tow bar hole reinforcement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

Can someone please point me to the vendor for these?  Thanks!

[img]cid:ii_l8gd24lt0[/img]

--Dave

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.44 MB
 Viewed:  5151 Time(s)

image.png

sandro(at)lumiella.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

https://flyboyaccessories.com/

Sandro Lumiella

-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com>
Data: 24/09/22 22:34 (GMT+01:00)
A: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Oggetto: RV10-List: Tow bar hole reinforcement?

Can someone please point me to the vendor for these? Thanks!

[img]cid:com_samsung_android_email_attachmentprovider_1_14738_RAW_1664053658237[/img]

--Dave

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image.png
 Description:
 Viewed:  5150 Time(s)

image.png

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

Thank you!

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 2:13 PM sandro <sandro(at)lumiella.com (sandro(at)lumiella.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Sandro Lumiella

Da: Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)>
A: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Oggetto: Tow bar hole reinforcement?

Can someone please point me to the vendor for these?  Thanks!

[img]cid:183715be6f6cb971f161[/img]

--Dave

image.png
 Description:

image.png

sandro(at)lumiella.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

👍
Cordiali saluti

Sandro Lumiella

Da: Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com>
Data: 24/09/22 23:24 (GMT+01:00)
A: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Oggetto: Re: RV10-List: Tow bar hole reinforcement?

Thank you!

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 2:13 PM sandro <sandro(at)lumiella.com (sandro(at)lumiella.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Sandro Lumiella

Da: Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)>
A: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Oggetto: RV10-List: Tow bar hole reinforcement?

[img]cid:m_6800207823276009534_com_samsung_android_email_attachmentprovider_1_14738_RAW_1664053658237[/img]

--Dave

image.png
 Description:

image.png

gspecketer(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

These are home made.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Sep 24, 2022, at 4:33 PM, Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

--Dave

image.png
 Description:

image.png

sportav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

If you are very, very careful with your towbar, you will not need these.

Translation: Better get a pair; you will need these.
On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 5:55 PM Gary Specketer <gspecketer(at)gmail.com (gspecketer(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
These are home made.

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 24, 2022, at 4:33 PM, Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> 
>  Can someone please point me to the vendor for these?  Thanks!
>
>
>
> --Dave

rleffler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

I disagree. Even if you are careful, there is a small percentage of time that you’ll not hit the hole. Admittedly, I’ve accidently let the bogart bar slip a couple times a year. After flying for ten years, I had a few paint chips that this covered perfectly. Then there is an issue if you ever have a lineman attempt to put a tow bar on. This does a great job of mitigating all these risks.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Bill Boyd
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2022 10:36 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV10-List: Tow bar hole reinforcement?

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 5:55 PM Gary Specketer <gspecketer(at)gmail.com (gspecketer(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

These are home made.

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 24, 2022, at 4:33 PM, Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com (saylor.dave(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> 
> Can someone please point me to the vendor for these? Thanks!
>
>
>
> --Dave

sritchie09(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

I think you are both in agreement, see the translation!
On Sun, Sep 25, 2022, at 8:50 AM, Bob Leffler wrote:

Quote:

I disagree. Even if you are careful, there is a small percentage of time that you’ll not hit the hole. Admittedly, I’ve accidently let the bogart bar slip a couple times a year. After flying for ten years, I had a few paint chips that this covered perfectly. Then there is an issue if you ever have a lineman attempt to put a tow bar on. This does a great job of mitigating all these risks.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Bill Boyd

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com

Subject: Re: RV10-List: Tow bar hole reinforcement?

Quote:

These are home made.

Sent from my iPad

>

> 

>

>

>

> --Dave

Ceengland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

Please forgive the intrusion (I have no experience with nosewheel pant/towbar conflicts), but I'm wondering if a disc (donut) of 3M clear 'leading edge tape' would accomplish the same thing. Especially if there were a donut of aluminum bonded to the inside of the pant.
Charlie
On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 10:12 AM Sam Ritchie <sritchie09(at)gmail.com (sritchie09(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I disagree.   Even if you are careful, there is a small percentage of time that you’ll not hit the hole.   Admittedly, I’ve accidently let the bogart bar slip a couple times a year.   After flying for ten years, I had a few paint chips that this covered perfectly.   Then there is an issue if you ever have a lineman attempt to put a tow bar on.  This does a great job of mitigating all these risks.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Bill Boyd

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Subject: Re: Tow bar hole reinforcement?

Quote:

These are home made.

Sent from my iPad

>

> 

>

>

>

> --Dave

Lew Gallagher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

Or as I have done on several nosewheel pants, use a longer capscrew bolt, with a fender washer between the head and a spacer so that the towbar stud is outside the pants with the washer flush with the pants surface. The washer prevents the towbar from ever entering the pants. Works, even for tow jockies not familiar with RVs. I got tired of repairing fiberglass ripped by the towbar not being on the stud.

Later, - Lew

Quote:

On 9/25/2022 12:40:41 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:Please forgive the intrusion (I have no experience with nosewheel pant/towbar conflicts), but I'm wondering if a disc (donut) of 3M clear 'leading edge tape' would accomplish the same thing. Especially if there were a donut of aluminum bonded to the inside of the pant.
Charlie
On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 10:12 AM Sam Ritchie <sritchie09(at)gmail.com (sritchie09(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I disagree.   Even if you are careful, there is a small percentage of time that you’ll not hit the hole.   Admittedly, I’ve accidently let the bogart bar slip a couple times a year.   After flying for ten years, I had a few paint chips that this covered perfectly.   Then there is an issue if you ever have a lineman attempt to put a tow bar on.  This does a great job of mitigating all these risks.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Bill Boyd

Quote:

These are home made.

Sent from my iPad

>

> 

>

>

>

> --Dave

NOW OFICIALLY BUILDER #40549
Fly off completed !
rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

I have something similar made out of aluminum that a friend with a lathe made for me. I just bonded them on to the the wheel pants with structural adhesive. There was a short tube turned into the inside as part of it and I set that into cotton flox on the inside to make a metal tube that the tow bar goes into. Stainless would probably be better because it is more scratch resistant.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On Sep 25, 2022, at 9:42 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Please forgive the intrusion (I have no experience with nosewheel pant/towbar conflicts), but I'm wondering if a disc (donut) of 3M clear 'leading edge tape' would accomplish the same thing. Especially if there were a donut of aluminum bonded to the inside of the pant.
Charlie

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

These are home made.

Sent from my iPad

>

> 

>

>

>

> --Dave

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

I can honestly say I haven’t had any on/off problems with the Bogart tow bar - once I figured out a trick, which is to use one of your legs as a fulcrum so you can fully control the bar while you slowly close the jaws. Now, what line boys do once out of my sight, I cannot say!

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

I did try leading edge tape.  It's no match for an angry Bogert.

We use the Bogert bar and an electric tug.  The tug is really the culprit as it's pretty unwieldy.
On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 9:42 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Please forgive the intrusion (I have no experience with nosewheel pant/towbar conflicts), but I'm wondering if a disc (donut) of 3M clear 'leading edge tape' would accomplish the same thing. Especially if there were a donut of aluminum bonded to the inside of the pant.
Charlie

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

These are home made.

Sent from my iPad

>

> 

>

>

>

> --Dave

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

Similar, but obviously not always successful:  I open the Bogert then clinch the lever arm open against the fork with my right hand.  Then I put the opposite side of the bar on into the fairing nice and snug.  Then (one very) carefully relax the levered side so it engages.  Works 95% of the time.

On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 1:41 PM Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)> wrote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "Bob Turner" <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu (bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu)>

I can honestly say I haven’t had any on/off problems with the Bogart tow bar - once I figured out a trick, which is to use one of your legs as a fulcrum so you can fully control the bar while you slowly close the jaws. Now, what line boys  do once out of my sight, I cannot say!

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=507942#507942

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

sportav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

Exactly how I do it. Works every time once you accustom yourself to the
over-center "snap" of the jaws.

When I get too feeble to control the Bogart Bar it's time to hang up the
spurs. Wink

On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 9:43 PM Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] Similar, but obviously not always successful: I open the Bogert then
clinch the lever arm open against the fork with my right hand. Then I put
the opposite side of the bar on into the fairing nice and snug. Then (one
very) carefully relax the levered side so it engages. Works 95% of the
time.

On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 1:41 PM Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

>
>
> I can honestly say I haven’t had any on/off problems with the Bogart tow
> bar - once I figured out a trick, which is to use one of your legs as a
> fulcrum so you can fully control the bar while you slowly close the jaws

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

Nah, when you're too feeble to do the Bogert Bar, it's just time to
order yourself a Best Tug A3. Smile Those are magnificent!
Tim

On 9/27/22 12:32 PM, Bill Boyd wrote:
Quote:
Exactly how I do it.  Works every time once you accustom yourself to the
over-center "snap" of the jaws.

When I get too feeble to control the Bogart Bar it's time to hang up the
spurs. Wink

Kellym

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Tow bar hole reinforcement? Reply with quote

agree!

On 9/27/2022 10:58 AM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:

Nah, when you're too feeble to do the Bogert Bar, it's just time to
order yourself a Best Tug A3. Smile  Those are magnificent!
Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: