Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non Aviation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

I have an old mobility scooter that I use as a tug that uses the key in the picture to turn on and off.This key has stopped working, any ideas on how I can bypass this?
Thanks
Mike 

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

IMG_20230802_143525307.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.99 MB
 Viewed:  878 Time(s)

IMG_20230802_143525307.jpg

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

Mike,
I suspect that the key is just a shorting out unit. If you take it off the ring the inside should screw out of the black case and you can see how it is wired. Probably just a broke or shorted out wire.
PS: can you show some photos of your mobility scooter conversion? I have a Jazzy Scooter that I am starting to convert for a tug and would like to get some ideas.
Bob Reed

On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 04:41:52 PM CDT, mike Pienaar <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have an old mobility scooter that I use as a tug that uses the key in the picture to turn on and off.This key has stopped working, any ideas on how I can bypass this?
Thanks
Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

Opened it up, nothing there 

On Wed., Aug. 2, 2023, 2:55 p.m. Robert Reed, <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Mike,
I suspect that the key is just a shorting out unit.  If you take it off the ring the inside should screw out of the black case and you can see how it is wired.  Probably just a broke or shorted out wire.
PS:  can you show some photos of your mobility scooter conversion?  I have a Jazzy Scooter that I am starting to convert for a tug and would like to get some ideas.
Bob Reed

On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 04:41:52 PM CDT, mike Pienaar <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com (mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

I have an old mobility scooter that I use as a tug that uses the key in the picture to turn on and off.This key has stopped working, any ideas on how I can bypass this?
Thanks
Mike 

IMG_20230802_153801642.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.53 MB
 Viewed:  875 Time(s)

IMG_20230802_153801642.jpg

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

OK, I am stumped, would have expected a wire between the two connections but doesn't look like there ever was one, unless inside the case.
Try hooking wire between the two holes and insert into hole on scooter. If that doesn't work then it's probably inside the unit.
Bob Reed

On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 05:41:45 PM CDT, mike Pienaar <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed., Aug. 2, 2023, 2:55 p.m. Robert Reed, <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Mike,

I suspect that the key is just a shorting out unit. If you take it off the ring the inside should screw out of the black case and you can see how it is wired. Probably just a broke or shorted out wire.

PS: can you show some photos of your mobility scooter conversion? I have a Jazzy Scooter that I am starting to convert for a tug and would like to get some ideas.

Bob Reed

On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 04:41:52 PM CDT, mike Pienaar <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com (mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

I have an old mobility scooter that I use as a tug that uses the key in the picture to turn on and off.This key has stopped working, any ideas on how I can bypass this?
Thanks
Mike

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

Mike,
It's just an old headphone jack. Unscrew the black cover and re-connect the wire.
    -- Art Z.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 5:24 PM mike Pienaar <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com (mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Thanks
Mike 

--
My blog: CheerfulCurmudgeon.com
​Wrinkles mean you laughed. Grey hair means you cared. Scars mean you lived.

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Aviation Reply with quote

Since there are no wires inside of the plug, then the problem is likely inside of the mobility
scooter which could have contacts that get pushed together by the plug when it is inserted.

wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

Maybe the jack it plugs into has normally closed contacts and the plug opens them when inserted, similar to an earphone jack where the plug disconnects the speaker. If so then the jack may need replacing?
On 3/08/2023 8:39 am, mike Pienaar wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Mike,

I suspect that the key is just a shorting out unit.  If you take it off the ring the inside should screw out of the black case and you can see how it is wired.  Probably just a broke or shorted out wire.

PS:  can you show some photos of your mobility scooter conversion?  I have a Jazzy Scooter that I am starting to convert for a tug and would like to get some ideas.

Bob Reed

I have an old mobility scooter that I use as a tug that uses the key in the picture to turn on and off. This key has stopped working, any ideas on how I can bypass this?
Thanks
Mike 

finn.lassen(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

There is the odd possibility that the jack is designed to short when no plug is inserted. Like a lawnmower's stop button shorts the ignition coil.  In this case the jack would short the coil until jack is inserted. You'll have to to check the wiring behind the jack to see what it does and if there now is a short somewhere. Just a wild guess.

Finn

On 8/2/2023 6:53 PM, Robert Reed wrote:

Quote:
OK, I am stumped, would have expected a wire between the two connections but doesn't look like there ever was one, unless inside the case.

Try hooking wire between the two holes and insert into hole on scooter.  If that doesn't work then it's probably inside the unit.

Bob Reed

On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 05:41:45 PM CDT, mike Pienaar <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com> (mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
Mike,

Bob Reed

I have an old mobility scooter that I use as a tug that uses the key in the picture to turn on and off. This key has stopped working, any ideas on how I can bypass this?
Thanks
Mike 

david(at)carter.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

I think Finn is right. Some jacks were designed to short or open a circuit
only when the jack was inserted, such as disconnecting a speaker when a
headphone was inserted. I'd try disconnecting one of the white wires at the
terminal strip.
---
David Carter
david(at)carter.net
On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 8:33 PM Finn Lassen <finn.lassen(at)verizon.net> wrote:

[quote] There is the odd possibility that the jack is designed to short when no
plug is inserted. Like a lawnmower's stop button shorts the ignition coil

wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

No, it doesn't look like a NC switch. The need to jiggle suggests that the jack is worn. If you short the white wires together does the scooter power up?
On 3/08/2023 10:03 am, mike Pienaar wrote:

Quote:
Here is a picture of the back of the jack and where it attaches to the board What I cannot understand is that sometimes you had to jiggle it before it worked
Does not look like a normally closed switch
Thanks again for the help

On Wed., Aug. 2, 2023, 4:31 p.m. Bill Maxwell, <wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com (wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Maybe the jack it plugs into has normally closed contacts and the plug opens them when inserted, similar to an earphone jack where the plug disconnects the speaker. If so then the jack may need replacing?

Quote:

Quote:
Mike,

Bob Reed

Thanks
Mike 

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

Without actually putting my hands on hardware,
the key appears to be an ordinary, monophonic
headphone plug. The jack may well be a stereo
headphone jack. When a mono plug is inserted
in a stereo jack, the 'tip' terminal of the
plug would properly connect to the 'tip'
terminal of the jack.

However, there being no 'ring' feature on the
plug, the 'ring' terminal of the jack would
be shorted to the 'sleeve' terminal of the
jack.

Try a cliplead connection between the
two wires going to the jack. If the scooter
runs, then the hypothesis cited above is
correct.

https://mynewmicrophone.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/TRS_Jack_Plug_Connection.jpg

Consider swapping out this 'too clever'
disable switch perhaps with an ordinary
toggle switch or perhaps a keyswitch?

Something like this perhaps?

https://tinyurl.com/29z32edf

Bob . . .

////
(o o)
===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
< Go ahead, make my day . . . >
< show me where I'm wrong. >
=================================

In the interest of creative evolution
of the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
on physics and good practice.

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Aviation Reply with quote

Did Mike, the original poster, mention white wires?

finn.lassen(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Non Aviation Reply with quote

That should be real easy to troubleshoot.

Disconnect wires to 1 and 2. Does it start? If so that jack needs to disconnect wires from 1 and 2 when plug inserted.
If does not start then wires from 1 and 2 needs to be shorted when plug inserted.
A matter of bending the jack plug contact points (or replacing the jack).

Finn

On 8/2/2023 8:03 PM, mike Pienaar wrote:

Quote:
Here is a picture of the back of the jack and where it attaches to the board What I cannot understand is that sometimes you had to jiggle it before it worked
Does not look like a normally closed switch
Thanks again for the help

On Wed., Aug. 2, 2023, 4:31 p.m. Bill Maxwell, <wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com (wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Mike,

Bob Reed

Thanks
Mike 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: