Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginnings of my Tailwind Electrical System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Beginnings of my Tailwind Electrical System Reply with quote

Hello all I'm deep in thought working on the power distribution for my Tailwind Project.  I'm working towards a Z13/8 implementation, the Z101 extras don't hold much appeal or utility for me.  I hope some of you learned gents could give my proposed system a quick look.  It's pretty basic so far.

I'm not ready to offer my basic bus power distribution drawing or load analysis just yet.  But I'd like to ask a question or two as I'm wrapping my head around all the issues.

I note on all the Z drawings the wire from the battery contactor to the main bus is not fused.  Is this similar to the starter cables, in that it's a fat wire that is unlikely to be compromised?

On the Z13/8 drawing I see a double pole single throw switch is used to bring up the main alternator (Plane Power AS 12-E160 in my case) and the battery contactor / main bus.  I'm considering using another DPST switch to bring up the SD-8 and the alt E-bus feed.  Is there any condition where I would want one or the other of those to be switched off?

My current thought is to run the ignition start power for the pair of P-Mags from the endurance bus.  To start the engine I'd turn on the endurance bus, the low voltage warning should come up as the battery will be at rest.  After starting the engine, the EFIS ammeter should show the SD-8 supplying power.  Bringing up the main bus I'd then switch off the alt E-bus feed / SD-8 to run on the main alternator.  That should satisfy preflight testing of the backup systems would it not?

I'd appreciate any insights that I'm sure I'm missing so far.  I've attached a basic sketch of my proposed bus power distrubution drawing, and load analysis.  If any of you have thoughts or questions please offer them.  With any changes we find we need, I'll then get stuck in with a more complete power distrubution drawing.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Gerry van Dyk
Tailwind W10 C-GVDZ

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

C-GVDZ_Load_Analysis.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  C-GVDZ_Load_Analysis.pdf
 Filesize:  39.33 KB
 Downloaded:  14 Time(s)

Basic_Bus_Distribution.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Basic_Bus_Distribution.pdf
 Filesize:  138.47 KB
 Downloaded:  17 Time(s)

mike_tailwind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Beginnings of my Tailwind Electrical System Reply with quote

Hi Gerry,
I just finished my Tailwind this year. I went with a simple Z-11 approach.
The main feed from the battery contactor should be routed carefully to prevent compromise. If you smell smoke the first thing to do is turn of the master. That is what ultimately protects that line.
I put my single P-mag on the main bus. I don't know how you are wiring your starter but it is typically powered off of the main which is where you want your P-mag power to come from. To start I turn on the master with the e-bus off.

After the engine starts I turn on the avionics master and e-bus ( which is actually avionics alternate feed). The engine gauges (EIS) are powered off of the main bus so that I can check them before engine start.
Just some thoughts.
-Mike

On Tuesday, December 26, 2023 at 04:17:35 PM CST, Gerry van Dyk <gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.ca> wrote:

Hello all I'm deep in thought working on the power distribution for my Tailwind Project. I'm working towards a Z13/8 implementation, the Z101 extras don't hold much appeal or utility for me. I hope some of you learned gents could give my proposed system a quick look. It's pretty basic so far.
I'm not ready to offer my basic bus power distribution drawing or load analysis just yet. But I'd like to ask a question or two as I'm wrapping my head around all the issues.
I note on all the Z drawings the wire from the battery contactor to the main bus is not fused. Is this similar to the starter cables, in that it's a fat wire that is unlikely to be compromised?
On the Z13/8 drawing I see a double pole single throw switch is used to bring up the main alternator (Plane Power AS 12-E160 in my case) and the battery contactor / main bus. I'm considering using another DPST switch to bring up the SD-8 and the alt E-bus feed. Is there any condition where I would want one or the other of those to be switched off?
My current thought is to run the ignition start power for the pair of P-Mags from the endurance bus. To start the engine I'd turn on the endurance bus, the low voltage warning should come up as the battery will be at rest. After starting the engine, the EFIS ammeter should show the SD-8 supplying power. Bringing up the main bus I'd then switch off the alt E-bus feed / SD-8 to run on the main alternator. That should satisfy preflight testing of the backup systems would it not?
I'd appreciate any insights that I'm sure I'm missing so far. I've attached a basic sketch of my proposed bus power distrubution drawing, and load analysis. If any of you have thoughts or questions please offer them. With any changes we find we need, I'll then get stuck in with a more complete power distrubution drawing.
Gerry van Dyk
Tailwind W10 C-GVDZ

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ceengland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Beginnings of my Tailwind Electrical System Reply with quote

'Current thought'.  I like it. Wink
The master contactor provides circuit protection for the 'fat' wires (manual trip mode). 
Charlie
Virus-free.www.avast.com[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 4:08 PM Gerry van Dyk <gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.ca (gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.ca)> wrote:

Quote:
Hello all I'm deep in thought working on the power distribution for my Tailwind Project.  I'm working towards a Z13/8 implementation, the Z101 extras don't hold much appeal or utility for me.  I hope some of you learned gents could give my proposed system a quick look.  It's pretty basic so far.
I'm not ready to offer my basic bus power distribution drawing or load analysis just yet.  But I'd like to ask a question or two as I'm wrapping my head around all the issues.
I note on all the Z drawings the wire from the battery contactor to the main bus is not fused.  Is this similar to the starter cables, in that it's a fat wire that is unlikely to be compromised?
On the Z13/8 drawing I see a double pole single throw switch is used to bring up the main alternator (Plane Power AS 12-E160 in my case) and the battery contactor / main bus.  I'm considering using another DPST switch to bring up the SD-8 and the alt E-bus feed.  Is there any condition where I would want one or the other of those to be switched off?
My current thought is to run the ignition start power for the pair of P-Mags from the endurance bus.  To start the engine I'd turn on the endurance bus, the low voltage warning should come up as the battery will be at rest.  After starting the engine, the EFIS ammeter should show the SD-8 supplying power.  Bringing up the main bus I'd then switch off the alt E-bus feed / SD-8 to run on the main alternator.  That should satisfy preflight testing of the backup systems would it not?
I'd appreciate any insights that I'm sure I'm missing so far.  I've attached a basic sketch of my proposed bus power distrubution drawing, and load analysis.  If any of you have thoughts or questions please offer them.  With any changes we find we need, I'll then get stuck in with a more complete power distrubution drawing.
Gerry van Dyk
Tailwind W10 C-GVDZ

gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Beginnings of my Tailwind Electrical System Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie.Working on the full distribution drawing now.
GerryOn 12/26/23 08:18 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
'Current thought'.  I like it. Wink
The master contactor provides circuit protection for the 'fat' wires (manual trip mode). 

Charlie

[/url]Virus-free.[url=https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail]www.avast.com[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]
On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 4:08 PM Gerry van Dyk <[url=javascript:main.compose(\'new\', \'mailto=gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.ca\')]gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.ca[/url]> wrote:
Quote:

Gerry van Dyk
Tailwind W10 C-GVDZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: