Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-10 fuel tank vent tube leak resolved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lew Gallagher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: RV-10 fuel tank vent tube leak resolved Reply with quote

Upon first fuel fill on Grant Smith's RV-10, there was a tiny leak from the vent tube on the pilot's side. The other end of the vent tube by the filler cap was above the fuel level. When I researched it I found others that had this problem with quick build wings. It is due to the flare nut on the inside of the tank not being tightened enough so that the gas leaks into the vent tube when that union is under gas level. I found a picture of the tool that others have used to tighten that nut reaching in through the hole after removing the float sending unit. I made my own tool and tightened the nut which stopped it some but not all. Further research showed that someone cut an access hole in the spar side of the tank, found and fixed a bad flare. I was resigned to eventually doing something similar when an EAA member, Tim Crouch, remembered how his RV-9 vent tube was designed - which led to my solution.

I drilled two holes in the fuselage wall in the wing root at the vent tube location, had a 26" Teflon hose with fittings made, connected one end to the tank fitting, ran the hose through the first hole in the fuselage, ran the hose up to the bottom of the door sill between the fuse wall and the interior kick plate, and back down through the second hole with a 90 elbow which connects to the original vent tube down through the grommet through the lower wing root faring.

Done. This keeps any leakage at the faulty flare inside the tank from going above the fuel level since the loop at the top of the interior hose is above the fuel level in the tank. As fuel is used, air is easily drawn past the faulty flare until the fuel level is below that flair which then drips back into the tank.

I'll attach pictures.
Later, - Lew

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Tank vent 5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB
 Viewed:  188 Time(s)

Tank vent 5.jpg

Tank vent 4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  909.36 KB

Tank vent 4.jpg

Tank vent 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  929.37 KB

Tank vent 3.jpg

Tank vent 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  914.98 KB

Tank vent 2.jpg

Tank vent 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  401.08 KB

Tank vent 1.jpg

NOW OFICIALLY BUILDER #40549
Fly off completed !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: