Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very wet lower plug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
l_klingmuller6(at)earthli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Very wet lower plug Reply with quote

When I was building, I was not aware that lots of flying also requires maintenance, lots of it at times!

Returning recently from a long, very pleasant x-country trip, I discovered a slight drop in the mag check of about 125 rpm. 50 to 75 is normal for my Lycoming 0-360 A1A. So, I pulled the lower plugs which always collect more lead than the upper.

Darn, the lower #2 plug was full of green oil!! Never seen oil before.
What next? Fly the plane for a couple of hours and then check the plug again hoping that the ring gaps have shifted? Pull the cylinder?

Those of you who have lots of engine experience, please help me out here with your knowledge.

Lothar, 6A, 700 hrs on a new Lyc.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Very wet lower plug Reply with quote

L Klingmuller wrote:
Quote:

When I was building, I was not aware that lots of flying also requires maintenance, lots of it at times!

Returning recently from a long, very pleasant x-country trip, I discovered a slight drop in the mag check of about 125 rpm. 50 to 75 is normal for my Lycoming 0-360 A1A. So, I pulled the lower plugs which always collect more lead than the upper.

Never seen green oil either!!! Smile
Quote:
What next? Fly the plane for a couple of hours and then check the plug again hoping that the ring gaps have shifted? Pull the cylinder?

Well, you could try the REM37BYs in the bottom. They've got an extended ceramic tip. I don't need them in my O-360 ..... so be sure they fit. They'll take care of lead and oil.
Quote:

Those of you who have lots of engine experience, please help me out here with your knowledge.
Well, you have me stumped on the green oil. With the x-country, the oil should be between tan and black, but not green.
Linn
do not archive
[quote]

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mrobert569(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Very wet lower plug Reply with quote

If you are getting oil in the upper cylinder chamber it is probably one of two problems. The most likely reason is either the intake valve guide has worn too much or the oil scraper ring on the piston has gone bad. Of the two the most likely is a valve guide. I would check the cylinder compression right off, then I would recommend changing the oil filter and carefully checking the filter element for metal. If that is ok then I would clean the plug and fly a couple of hours doing a mag check before and after each flight. You might also want to remove the cylinder cover and do a simple visual check of the rockers and valves. If nothing appears out of sorts, and the compression is still good then you may want to see how much oil it is burning. The Lycoming Service Instruction 1427B tells you the max oil consumption is found by using the following formula: .006 X BHP X 4 / 7.4 = Qt/Hr.  So for your 180hp engine it works out to .584 quarts per hour.

If your oil consumption is greater than that then you will have to remove the cylinder and figure out why.

Good Luck,

Mike Robertson

Quote:
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Very wet lower plug
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:13:17 -0600

Returning recently from a long, very pleasant x-country trip, I discovered a slight drop in the mag check of about 125 rpm.  50 to 75 is normal for my Lycoming 0-360 A1A. So, I pulled the lower plugs which always collect more lead than the upper.

Quote:

t=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
p://forums.matronics.com

Your friends are close to you. hat way. [quote][b]

n1cxo320(at)salidaco.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Very wet lower plug Reply with quote

Lothor - I had this once in my O-320. It was also #2 cylinder. The
hangar neighbor, an A & P offered a guess that ring gaps might get
aligned and allow some oil to seep down. . he suggested to keep flying
and just monitor it. I did that. It never happened again. I am uncertain
if his explanation (guess) was correct, but he was right about not
getting too excited and to just monitor it.

John at Salida

L Klingmuller wrote:
Quote:

*When I was building, I was not aware that lots of flying also
requires maintenance, lots of it at times!*
*Returning recently from a long, very pleasant x-country trip, I
discovered a slight drop in the mag check of about 125 rpm. 50 to 75
is normal for my Lycoming 0-360 A1A. So, I pulled the lower plugs
which always collect more lead than the upper.*
*Darn, the lower #2 plug was full of green oil!! Never seen oil before.*
*What next? Fly the plane for a couple of hours and then check the
plug again hoping that the ring gaps have shifted? Pull the cylinder? *
*Those of you who have lots of engine experience, please help me out
here with your knowledge.*
*Lothar, 6A, 700 hrs on a new Lyc.*

Dan Reeves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Very wet lower plug Reply with quote

I just received my engine from Aero Sport Power and the pickling oil is greenish...

linn Walters <pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net> wrote: [quote]L Klingmuller wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well, you could try the REM37BYs in the bottom. They've got an extended ceramic tip. I don't need them in my O-360 ..... so be sure they fit. They'll take care of lead and oil.
Quote:

Well, you have me stumped on the green oil. With the x-country, the

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Very wet lower plug Reply with quote

Thanks Dan .... I've never been able to afford green oil!!! Very Happy
For the life of me, I can't imagine any green (pickling) oil being left on a plug after a long trip ...... unless it was never drained and and was used as breakin oil. Sad
Linn
do not archive
Dan Reeves wrote:
[quote]I just received my engine from Aero Sport Power and the pickling oil is greenish...

linn Walters <pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net> (pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net) wrote: [quote]L Klingmuller wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, you have me stumped on the green oil. With the x-country, the

neal.george(at)mchsi.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Very wet lower plug Reply with quote

LawnBoy 2-cycle oil is green...
But it has no business in your plugs Smile
neal

Linn
do not archive

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: