Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin.wessel(at)comcast.n

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install? Reply with quote

I just reviewed Garmin’s 2005 earnings report and they state that they expect to grow their G1000 revenue 20% thru increased OEM and aftermarket installs.

I wonder if “aftermarket” suggests that the G1000 will be available for the RV-10? Affordability is an entirely different question.

Robin Wessel
RV-10 fuse
Tigard, OR

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install? Reply with quote

No, their Marketing VP in Salem said that all growth will be through partnerships with OEM Certified Aircraft Manufacturers only.  He wouldn’t even give a glimmer of hope.  They have two new birds undergoing Garmin cert at KSLE in Salem at this time.

John - KUAO

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Wessel
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:05 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install?

I just reviewed Garmin’s 2005 earnings report and they state that they expect to grow their G1000 revenue 20% thru increased OEM and aftermarket installs.

I wonder if “aftermarket” suggests that the G1000 will be available for the RV-10? Affordability is an entirely different question.

Robin Wessel
RV-10 fuse
Tigard, OR

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dwschaefer(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install? Reply with quote

Not to be unexpected.  I've found Garmin the most difficult of the companies to deal with, even after spending thousands with them.  They don't have the slightest care about Experimental's, which is too bad considering I suspect a bulk of the annual purchases of their avionics come from that market.  I don't understand why these companies don't have 'homebuilder' specific departments with support etc.  But, they continue to rake in our dollars, primarily because of the lack of competition, so there is no reason to change.  I find it interesting that they come to Sun 'n Fun and Oshkosh to ply their wares but that's where it ends.

On 2/25/06, John W. Cox <johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com (johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com)> wrote:
Quote:

No, their Marketing VP in Salem said that all growth will be through partnerships with OEM Certified Aircraft Manufacturers only.  He wouldn't even give a glimmer of hope.  They have two new birds undergoing Garmin cert at KSLE in Salem at this time.

John - KUAO

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Robin Wessel
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:05 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RV10-List: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install?

I just reviewed Garmin's 2005 earnings report and they state that they expect to grow their G1000 revenue 20% thru increased OEM and aftermarket installs.

I wonder if "aftermarket" suggests that the G1000 will be available for the RV-10? Affordability is an entirely different question.

Robin Wessel
RV-10 fuse
Tigard , OR

--
David Schaefer
RV-6A N142DS "Geek One"
www.n142ds.com

av8or(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install? Reply with quote

Garmin is the Microsoft of the avionics market.  They know you'll buy it anyway because (1) most do for certified airplanes, (2) resale value, and like you said, (3) little or no competition.  If we'll buy it anyway without support, why provide it?  It's much easier to support an OEM.  Once certified and the units install OK, support is easy if any is required at all.  Why deal with hundreds of buyers/installers with each installation unique.  They're so arrogant that they "price fix" their products with legal loopholes.  Why were the 430/530's quoted installed only?  Why are 396's the exact same price from all dealers?

Getting off my soapbox now.....

John Lenhardt
Do Not Archive
[quote] ---

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install? Reply with quote

The only consolation is that King Radio was the same way before Gar and Min left King to do business different.
And those of you waiting for the WAAS cert on the 430/530; why do you think they bought UPSAT? 480? 
[quote] ---

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install? Reply with quote

And how come the government didn't look at the Garmin purchase of UPSAT as a takeover that was going to be detrimental to the customer? The only two producers of General Aviation GPS/NAV/COMs, and they let them get scooped up?

L-3 really should have bought UPSAT, since they needed radio experience. But I think the GA part of L-3 is mostly ignored by corporate HQ . . .

TDT
--

GRANSCOTT(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install? Reply with quote

G 1000

I have several hours behind the G 1000 screens/system in a C 182T model--with the FITS training etc for CAP,...it's a nice system but I'm not sure I'd pay the up charge is for this  system.  First of all the KAP 140 while a good autopilot is not really part of the G 1000 set up, Garmin is apparently currently developing their own autopilot. 

In the G 1000, one set's the Altimeter setting 3 time for each change...in the G 1000, the back up altimeter, and the auto pilot.  When you set a cruise altitude you set it in the system twice also, once in the G 1000 screen as a target altitude and again on the KAP 140, but the auto pilot will only intercept the AP setting and in the Cessna the AP goes above the altitude 20-40' before it settles back down to your altitude.

I'd rather have an altitude that I could set and check off of the GPS rather than pressure settings. You can check these figures off of the MFD pages but it's several page flips getting there.

Programming the G 1000 is very simple and it's easy to use but I don't believe I would pay the amount of money they are asking...if you're not aware of what the current charge is...it's about an $80k upgrade cost from a current IFR set up system so if you trade in the items plus the upgrade the real cost is somewhere north of a $100k.  Believe it or not with the KAP 140 there is a T&B indicator but it's buried behind the MFD screen so if you lose both screens it will do you no good what so ever as a back up instrument. 

The built in engine instruments are great and it's dead simple to lean out the engine to what ever setting you desire, plus the flow meter is so easy to read in a tape display.  Actually using the tapes and electronic HSI, displays are very easy to learn and follow...too easy I'd fear...I think if you really learned IFR on this system you'd have a hard time understanding steam instruments...easy to go electronic but tough going the other way. 

While I only have about 25 actual hours of G 1000 time, I did several day's and evening on ground school, plus sim time and played with the computer simulator on my computer...which is pretty realistic better than the certified old fashion sim's I've flown...IMHO.  I hope to get a little bit of time with a friend of mine and his glass screens he's putting together for a Velocity...I can't imagine with a few items that are experimental only, and the TruTrak AP, it won't be better than the G 1000/KAP 140 for tens of thousands less.

Nice article in Aviation Consumer about the G 1000 vs. Integra. 

Patrick Scott

do not archive

GRANSCOTT(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Garmin G1000 for aftermarket install? Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/26/06 8:32:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, GRANSCOTT(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Nice article in Aviation Consumer about the G 1000 vs. Entegra

I don't know if many have read the article in AC but I found some of the comments bogus, the writer/reviewer apparently has no time behind either screen..some of what he wrote is incorrect or biased.  Both systems are probably great and expensive..I'd just believe that there are better and less expensive systems out there Chelton or the other products.

Patrick Scott

do not archive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: