Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Probe Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Jabiru-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcrowder(at)lpbroadband.n

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Probe Question Reply with quote

There was a thread that ran regarding small holes between the plugs on some
of our engines. I tried to follow this thread, but do not recall reading a
definitive answer. The thought was that these might be for temperature
probs. I just checked my engine and I do have small holes (about 1/8"
diameter and about one inch deep, I didn't actually measure). Are these the
holes in question and are they for probes?

Jim Crowder
S5/3300 Jabiru (Engine swap in process)
North Front Range of Colorado

- The Matronics Jabiru-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Jabiru-List
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Probe Question Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Jim,

I hate to add to an uncertainty with something I cannot substantiate, but I was told that those holes are put there for use of CHT probes. The problem is that no one is making a probe of the proper temperature range that will fit in those holes.

Incidentally, I did find a Champion spark plug that appears to be interchangeable with those that came with the engine. The Champions use a smaller wrench. (I think it is 5/8ths of an inch instead of 11/16th of an inch.) That small change makes it just a tiny bit easier to tighten the CHT probes on the spark plugs. I believe this is all in the maintenance manual, but it is important to get the gasket off the plug and put the CHT probe on the plug before the gasket is applied. I found it very difficult to get the supplied spark plug gasket off of the Champion plug so that I could put the CHT sensor on the plug before the plug gasket. Worked easier on the supplied plugs.

Sure wish they would find a way to use those little holes for the CHT temperature!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
628 West 86th Street
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8502
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22

In a message dated 4/11/2008 6:06:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jcrowder(at)lpbroadband.net writes:
Quote:
--> Jabiru-List message posted by: "Jim Crowder" <jcrowder(at)lpbroadband.net>

There was a thread that ran regarding small holes between the plugs on some
of our engines. I tried to follow this thread, but do not recall reading a
definitive answer.  The thought was that these might be for temperature
probs. I just checked my engine and I do have small holes (about 1/8"
diameter and about one inch deep, I didn't actually measure). Are these the
holes in question and are they for probes?

Jim Crowder
S5/3300 Jabiru (Engine swap in process)
North Front Range of Colorado

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Probe Question Reply with quote

Pardon the uncertainty, but I think the supplied spark plugs uses an 18 MM wrench, not an 11/16ths one.

It has been almost a week and a half since I tightened them and my memory is getting very short!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
628 West 86th Street
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8502
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22

In a message dated 4/11/2008 6:20:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time, Bobs V35B writes:
Quote:
Incidentally, I did find a Champion spark plug that appears to be interchangeable with those that came with the engine. The Champions use a smaller wrench. (I think it is 5/8ths of an inch instead of 11/16th of an inch.) That small change makes it just a tiny bit easier to tighten the CHT probes on the spark plugs. I believe this is all in the maintenance manual, but it is important to get the gasket off the plug and put the CHT probe on the plug before the gasket is applied. I found it very difficult to get the supplied spark plug gasket off of the Champion plug so that I could put the CHT sensor on the plug before the plug gasket. Worked easier on the supplied plugs.

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Jabiru-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: