Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kit Planes accident and reliability article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Kit Planes accident and reliability article Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
The October issue of Kit Planes has a fine article on accidents and
compares a rather large cross section of aircraft and engine types to
the statistical records over several years. Very good read! I was
surprised to find that automotive conversions held up better internally
than the type certified aircraft engines. Problems with automotive
conversions were mostly associated with ignition, fuel system, cooling
systems or the re-drive. When people take the time to do correct
installation and maintenance in these areas, the automotive conversion
will easily match or exceed performance and economy of the
type-certified aircraft engines.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

do not archive

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Kit Planes accident and reliability article Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....

I think that's a little bit of a sweeping statement there Larry..If you remember I suffered three valve guide failurs in my Subaru conversion..I would say that as I had only 400 hours that was an appalling failure rate..Fourtunately I was able to re-engineer the package and fix a fundamental flaw in the suppliers product, but that's only because I have a lot of experience in this area.

Most folks I fear have little clue about such things, or about killer vapour lock, how to engineer a cooling system etc.

If somebody with my experience can have such troubles (and who bought an engine package to avoid having to mess with the conversion itself) then the average Joe has no chance.

I would be interested to read the article because anecdotal evidence would appear to dissagree with your statement.

Hopefully the market will weed out poor engine conversions...But at a potentially great cost.

Don't get me wrong there are one or two really good auto conversions, but they certainly are not cheaper on the initial installation cost (comparing an Eggenfelner Soob with an experimantal Lycoming clone) and if you add the extra cooling drag of a water cooled engine vs an aircooled (at least on a fast airplane) then fuel consumption is going to be worse....Ok that last statement is fiercely debated...Smile

Where auto conversions really shine is in rebuild costs are much less..But is that really a big factor in the overall cost of an airplane?..I personally doubt it.

Frank

601 HDS Soob 400 hours
RV7a 330 hours IO360 WAAY faster and better MPG than the Zodiac...Smile.Also runs on pump gas

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Kit Planes accident and reliability article Reply with quote

A properly engineered water cooled installation should have
considerably less cooling drag than an air-cooled installation. North
American was able to get enough thrust out of the cooling system for
the P-51 to almost cancel out the cooling drag. Other manufacturers
who just slapped a big radiator behind the prop didn't fare nearly as
well. Another example of good cooling design is the Spitfire. Neither
the Spitfire nor the Mustang ever had any problems with overheating in
flight. The problem is that most aircraft aren't designed around a
water cooled engine so compromises have to be made to get adequate
cooling.

On Aug 31, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Hinde, Frank George (Corvallis) wrote:

Quote:

(Corvallis)" <frank.hinde(at)hp.com>
Don't get me wrong there are one or two really good auto
conversions, but they certainly are not cheaper on the initial
installation cost (comparing an Eggenfelner Soob with an
experimantal Lycoming clone) and if you add the extra cooling drag
of a water cooled engine vs an aircooled (at least on a fast
airplane) then fuel consumption is going to be worse....Ok that last
statement is fiercely debated...Smile

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

do not archive.
frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Kit Planes accident and reliability article Reply with quote

Bryan,

You are talking about 400mph airplanes here (and as A Brit I am very proud you guys chose to use OUR engine in YOUR airplane..Smile..). This is VERY different to a 100mph Zodiac.

But also, those radiator installs had thousands of hours of development work behind them. Sure, we MAYBE able to improve the drag characteristics of a radiator but the plain fact is nobody has done it.

There is not one properly engineered radator install out there that you can buy. Now part of this is the design of the airplane itself..Generalll you need a long duct both in front and behind the rad..The engine placed on the nose of the airplane is not conjucive to this.

In the Zodiac its probably a moot point, a little bit of extra drag is not going to make much difference, but a fast airplane like a an RV or Lanceair that extra drag will be significant.

So not arguing improvements could be made, but automotive suppliers have very little incentive to do so.

Personally I would love to see automotive conversions on faster airplanes, but right now for that particular application it really offers no clear advantage over a Lycosaurus.

Frank

Do not archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: