Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Mount Ears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesse(at)itecusa.org

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Engine Mount Ears Reply with quote

I have a case and crank that I am going to be using to fit the cowling down here in Ecuador, but they don’t have the right ears.  Does anybody know of a good place that I might be able to track down a set of ears that aren’t serviceable, but would work for hanging a case to fit the cowling?  Also, could anybody remind me of the part number for the correct ears.

By the way, for those of you who weren’t on the list about a year ago when this topic was discussed, and who are planning on rebuilding a used engine, you will want to make sure that it has the right ears for the engine mount.  I think there are two or three different sets of ears that can come on the IO-540.  A used but serviceable set can easily run $400, while the new ones cost about $800 for a set, if I remember correctly.  “Small Holes” are the ones we want for the -10, to be as un-technical as possible.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org (jesse(at)itecusa.org)
www.itecusa.org

I'm in Ecuador right now and should be back in the country by the end of May.  You may call me at 352-505-1899 and leave a message that I can check from down here.  Any I-TEC questions can be directed to the I-TEC office at 352-465-4545.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Engine Mount Ears Reply with quote

I am 90% sure they are 70456.  I got mine from Air-Tec [airtec(at)cfl.rr.com].

Here is an excerpt from some e-mail traffic I had with him.  Dick was real nice, but the parts were not cheap ($400).  He may be able to whip you up something if you ask.  He makes some of his own parts.

Yes, we have the 4 small ears.
Dick
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bcondrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Engine Mount Ears Reply with quote

70456 is the correct part number for the RV-10 and they do have the small holes.  As you’ve seen, they’re really expensive to purchase.  My recollection is that the Rocket folks use the large hole ears and occasionally you’ll see them trying to swap or sell the small hole versions.  I’ve also seen sets for sale on eBay that are presumably from people that had to change to the large holes for some reason.

Bob #40105

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rene Felker
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:12 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Engine Mount Ears

Here is an excerpt from some e-mail traffic I had with him.  Dick was real nice, but the parts were not cheap ($400).  He may be able to whip you up something if you ask.  He makes some of his own parts.

Dick
---

jball(at)eci2fly.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Engine Mount Ears Reply with quote

• ECi will have these under their P/N AEL70456 in about a month at considerably less cost than Lycoming.
  • Jim Ball (ECi)

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Condrey, Bob (US SSA)
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 9:57 AM

70456 is the correct part number for the RV-10 and they do have the small holes.  As you’ve seen, they’re really expensive to purchase.  My recollection is that the Rocket folks use the large hole ears and occasionally you’ll see them trying to swap or sell the small hole versions.  I’ve also seen sets for sale on eBay that are presumably from people that had to change to the large holes for some reason.

Bob #40105

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rene Felker

Dick
----- Original Message -----
To: "'Air-Tec'" <airtec(at)cfl.rr.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:17 AM
Subject: RE: [barnstormers.com] Re: Lycoming Flywheels

Quote:
Let me try another one, do you have engine mount ears for an IO-540, PN
70456 (I am doing the part number from memory, but I need the small ears
for
an RV-10)

Rene' Felker

Rene' Felker

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Saint
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 5:57 AM
Subject: Engine Mount Ears

I have a case and crank that I am going to be using to fit the cowling down here in Ecuador, but they don’t have the right ears.  Does anybody know of a good place that I might be able to track down a set of ears that aren’t serviceable, but would work for hanging a case to fit the cowling?  Also, could anybody remind me of the part number for the correct ears.

By the way, for those of you who weren’t on the list about a year ago when this topic was discussed, and who are planning on rebuilding a used engine, you will want to make sure that it has the right ears for the engine mount.  I think there are two or three different sets of ears that can come on the IO-540.  A used but serviceable set can easily run $400, while the new ones cost about $800 for a set, if I remember correctly.  “Small Holes” are the ones we want for the -10, to be as un-technical as possible.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
www.itecusa.org

I'm in Ecuador right now and should be back in the country by the end of May.  You may call me at 352-505-1899 and leave a message that I can check from down here.  Any I-TEC questions can be directed to the I-TEC office at 352-465-4545.

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Engine Mount Ears Reply with quote

Gee, after working on this airplane stuff, $400 doesn’t sound “expensive”.

I knew I had been working with avionics too long when I saw a $60,000 price tag for a commercial FMS and said, “Hey, that’s not a bad price!”

TDT
Firewall Forward

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Condrey, Bob (US SSA)
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:57 AM

Bob #40105

Dick
---

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Engine Mount Ears Reply with quote

Russ Daves has a set he’s trying to sell on the VAF forums:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=6759

TDT
Do not archive

Bob #40105

Dick
---

jesse(at)itecusa.org

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Engine Mount Ears Reply with quote

That’s not expensive for an airplane part, but for a tool, which I would be using them for, it is pretty pricey.  Oh, and you can have the FMS. J  I’ll do without it for that price.

Do not archive.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
www.itecusa.org

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Dawson-Townsend
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:15 AM

Gee, after working on this airplane stuff, $400 doesn’t sound “expensive”.

I knew I had been working with avionics too long when I saw a $60,000 price tag for a commercial FMS and said, “Hey, that’s not a bad price!”

TDT
Firewall Forward

Do not archive

Bob #40105

Dick
----- Original Message -----
To: "'Air-Tec'" <airtec(at)cfl.rr.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:17 AM
Subject: RE: [barnstormers.com] Re: Lycoming Flywheels

Quote:
Let me try another one, do you have engine mount ears for an IO-540, PN
70456 (I am doing the part number from memory, but I need the small ears
for
an RV-10)

Rene' Felker

Rene' Felker

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Saint
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 5:57 AM
Subject: Engine Mount Ears

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
www.itecusa.org

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Engine Mount Ears Reply with quote

Well, that was $60,000 for a 707 FMS, which isn't too bad . . .

TDT

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of Jesse Saint
Sent: Thu 4/6/2006 2:51 PM

That's not expensive for an airplane part, but for a tool, which I would be using them for, it is pretty pricey. Oh, and you can have the FMS. Smile I'll do without it for that price.

Do not archive.

Jesse Saint

I-TEC, Inc.

jesse(at)itecusa.org <mailto:jesse(at)itecusa.org>

www.itecusa.org <http://www.itecusa.org>

I'm in Ecuador right now and should be back in the country by the end of May. You may call me at 352-505-1899 and leave a message that I can check from down here. Any I-TEC questions can be directed to the I-TEC office at 352-465-4545.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Dawson-Townsend
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:15 AM

Gee, after working on this airplane stuff, $400 doesn't sound "expensive".

I knew I had been working with avionics too long when I saw a $60,000 price tag for a commercial FMS and said, "Hey, that's not a bad price!"

TDT

Firewall Forward

Do not archive

70456 is the correct part number for the RV-10 and they do have the small holes. As you've seen, they're really expensive to purchase. My recollection is that the Rocket folks use the large hole ears and occasionally you'll see them trying to swap or sell the small hole versions. I've also seen sets for sale on eBay that are presumably from people that had to change to the large holes for some reason.

Bob #40105

I am 90% sure they are 70456. I got mine from Air-Tec [airtec(at)cfl.rr.com].

Here is an excerpt from some e-mail traffic I had with him. Dick was real nice, but the parts were not cheap ($400). He may be able to whip you up something if you ask. He makes some of his own parts.

Dick

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: