Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seat Belt Tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin1(at)mrmoisture.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Seat Belt Tip Reply with quote

To all of those builders that have yet to purchase their seat belts I have a little info for you.
Some of you know I made my own belts by purchasing a few sets of Drifter rotary release 4 point belts on eBay. They are dirt cheap as in under $40.00 a set. I did have to do a little sewing but they worked out exceptionally well. I had always planned to upgrade to a premium belt at some point so I took the plunge and purchase a full set of Rotary Release Hooker’s with the air show 10% discount. This had them delivered for ~$1,350.00. Yes expensive but top quality for sure. Unfortunately they arrived in the wrong color so I sent them back. When the replacements arrived I installed them with almost no problems (you have to grind down and insert to the anchor end of each belt). They looked great. They are however stiff, heavy and somewhat uncomfortable. Worst of all the waistband adjustment mechanisms are too close to the attachment point preventing them from opening to the point where I can pull slack. This happens on both sides of the waist band as I have a center console that also conflicts with the adjustment mechanism. The rear seats are another story because I ordered the shoulder and lap bands with pads which I assumed were removable. Unfortunately a fully tight lap band for the rear seat is still larger than my 16-year-old daughter's waste by about 4 inches. There is no way she can be safely strapped in using those belts. It would probably be another story without the lap pads. For me to correct this issue I will have to send the seatbelts back again.

The tip I am offering comes in the form of the another brand of seatbelts I happened to see on an RV-8. They looked different but every bit as nice as the Hooker harnesses plus more comfortable for a fraction of the price. The brand is called Crow Enterprises Inc. can be found at this address: http://www.crowenterprizes.com/an online search for pricing has the five way Rotary release selling for $140 to $155. They sell the leaver release and belts for about half that price. This places the Rotary release belts at a 50% discount to the discounted Hooker belts.

I have attached a photo from the RV-8 for your review.

Robin

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Crow_Seatbelts_[50%].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  475.53 KB
 Viewed:  5150 Time(s)

Crow_Seatbelts_[50%].jpg

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Seat Belt Tip Reply with quote

Anyone interested in the premium belts should probably consider the AMSAFE TSOed inertial reel belts designed for the RV10; they are available in almost any color. I took the website off line because I thought interest had waned. John Miller, Rene Velker and myself have AMSAFE belts if you want to discuss. There are a few others but I can not remember their names.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Marks
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 3:58 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Seat Belt Tip

To all of those builders that have yet to purchase their seat belts I have a little info for you.
Some of you know I made my own belts by purchasing a few sets of Drifter rotary release 4 point belts on eBay. They are dirt cheap as in under $40.00 a set. I did have to do a little sewing but they worked out exceptionally well. I had always planned to upgrade to a premium belt at some point so I took the plunge and purchase a full set of Rotary Release Hooker’s with the air show 10% discount. This had them delivered for ~$1,350.00. Yes expensive but top quality for sure. Unfortunately they arrived in the wrong color so I sent them back. When the replacements arrived I installed them with almost no problems (you have to grind down and insert to the anchor end of each belt). They looked great. They are however stiff, heavy and somewhat uncomfortable. Worst of all the waistband adjustment mechanisms are too close to the attachment point preventing them from opening to the point where I can pull slack. This happens on both sides of the waist band as I have a center console that also conflicts with the adjustment mechanism. The rear seats are another story because I ordered the shoulder and lap bands with pads which I assumed were removable. Unfortunately a fully tight lap band for the rear seat is still larger than my 16-year-old daughter's waste by about 4 inches. There is no way she can be safely strapped in using those belts. It would probably be another story without the lap pads. For me to correct this issue I will have to send the seatbelts back again.

The tip I am offering comes in the form of the another brand of seatbelts I happened to see on an RV-8. They looked different but every bit as nice as the Hooker harnesses plus more comfortable for a fraction of the price. The brand is called Crow Enterprises Inc. can be found at this address: http://www.crowenterprizes.com/an online search for pricing has the five way Rotary release selling for $140 to $155. They sell the leaver release and belts for about half that price. This places the Rotary release belts at a 50% discount to the discounted Hooker belts.

I have attached a photo from the RV-8 for your review.

Robin

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Belt Tip Reply with quote

Where can I find more info about those Amsafe inertial reel belts? Any pictures, weight, price, etc...

Thanks,
Lenny
Quote:

Anyone interested in the premium belts should probably consider the AMSAFE TSOed inertial reel belts designed for the RV10; they are available in almost any color. I took the website off line because I thought interest had waned. John Miller, Rene Velker and myself have AMSAFE belts if you want to discuss. There are a few others but I can not remember their names.

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Seat Belt Tip Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. If you would like to know more,
e-mail and pull some stuff together during the Saints game tomorrow night...

Rene at felker dot com

Rene'
801-721-6080
--

P0002841.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.03 KB
 Viewed:  5094 Time(s)

P0002841.gif

Seat-Belt.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.18 KB
 Viewed:  5094 Time(s)

Seat-Belt.gif

jcumins(at)jcis.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Seat Belt Tip Reply with quote

Rene

What is your source for the seat belts. And does the Back inertia reels
attach to the cabin top like the front ones do?

I had inertia reel belts in my cardinal and I loved them.

John G. Cumins

--

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Seat Belt Tip Reply with quote

www.inertialbelts.com should be restored on line in a couple of days. It has
all the info about lid mods and procedures as well as colors. I will have to
check whether there are 2009 prices there. These are TSOed as required for
the AMSAFE certified manufacturer status. AMSAFE would not design or sell
these until several mods were made to strengthen the hardpoints in the lid.

AMSAFE used my aircraft to design the belts for the RV10. There are two
lengths for the front seat as some builders wanted more girth available in
front. The standard lengths work fine in the rear because the rear attach
points are located near the hips; the front seats are adjustable and the
attach points are well to the rear of the hips except for tall people.

Except that these are four point harnesses, they look and feel just like the
back of the Boeing. There are two engineering drawings available; one for
the standard clasp and one for the rotary clasp. Extra loops can also be
supplied to prevent little people from coming though the shoulder harness in
a crash.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: