Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Near miss, Vancouver - cheap life insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfisher(at)commandergroup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Near miss, Vancouver - cheap life insurance Reply with quote

Happy to see the sunrise again.

Since I obtained my abused 680FLP I have been bringing it up to spec. and was out on a test flight with an engineer setting up the rigging on all the controls.
The wx. was 3000 overcast with rain showers, we were doing a VOR hold at 2500 feet during which we were being feed traffic information of VFR training aircraft below and around us being controlled by another agency for that altitude.
On our last inbound leg, clipping along at 190 with 75% power, the engineer had just finished recording all that had to be recorded.
I advised the controlling agency (radar) that we were ready to return for landing. As I was waiting for the clearance I had my eyes inside to adjust the EGT's (the engineer wanted full rich for the tests) before I got the needles where I wanted them I heard the transmission "traffic".... as soon as the word "traffic" was processed by my brain I looked up and before "12 O'clock" was heard I saw a single-engine Cessna in a steep climbing left turn about 50 feet below me and maybe 1000' in front of me going right to left. I yarded up and to the right on the yoke, yes we missed him, but not by much, I'm sure had we not done the avoidance maneuver we would have clipped him. I'm sure the Cessna never saw us.
Radar apologized profusely siting transponder recognition issues with adjacent controlling agencies.

I since have tested a "PCAS" Portable Collision Avoidance System that is the size of a deck of cards. There are a couple of models of this type out there and it seems to work quite well, this one for under $500. I am getting one; I am also going to try a get funding to supply one for each of our search aircraft.
Cheap life insurance.

Tom F.
C-GISS 680FLP (Mr.RPM)

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
rcdettmer(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Near miss, Vancouver - cheap life insurance Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
Wow...quite an experience. Glad you were quick enough to avoid a nasty
situation. I have seen some ads for the PCAS units. What type / brand are
your referring to, and what kind are you going to purchase..??

Randy Dettmer, AIA
680fF/ N62653X

Dettmer Architecture
805 541 4864 / Fax 805 541 4865
www.dettmerarchitecture.com

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

john(at)vormbaum.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Near miss, Vancouver - cheap life insurance Reply with quote

Tom,

Glad things worked out well. I live in very congested airspace (San
Francisco, CA) and midair collision is the one thing that really scares me.
Especially since there is a lot of VFR training going on from my aiport & 2
other local airports.

Can you share the details on the PCAS that you tested? Brand & model
perhaps?

Thanks,

/John
---

tfisher(at)commandergroup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Near miss, Vancouver - cheap life insurance Reply with quote

Look up www.flightweb.ca
Click on Collision Avoidance, you will see two units there, I tested the
small one.

Tom F.
---

nico(at)cybersuperstore.c

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Near miss, Vancouver - cheap life insurance Reply with quote

As if one needs this sort of thing in life. Good to hear you escaped
(again), Tom.
Nico

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: