Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better Cabin Heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Jabiru-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimpuglise(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Better Cabin Heater Reply with quote

Carl-

Long shot but may be worth looking at. If your cabin is well sealed, the positive pressure in the cabin may be preventing adequate flow.  I put a vent in my "D" panel that John Lawton recommended. You may want to try something similar before rebuilding your heater.

Jim Puglise
Europa XS, Jab 3300

To: jabiru-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:54:56 AM
Subject: Better Cabin Heater

Hi,

Yesterday was freezing inside my Europa XS with Jabiru 3300. My wife has now refused to fly until I rectify the situation - she wants a 20 degree cabin!

The current cabin heater layout is:
* Opening on the cowl to provide a RAM air into the SCAT hose
* Goes through a shallow metal V that's jubilleed to a horizontal running exhaust pipe on the left
* Goes into a on/off box with pull cable
* Goes through the firewall into a fibreglass box
* Splits into 2
* Goes to 2 ball valves above pilot and passenger footwell

I didn't measure the SCAT hose, it's something in the region of 2 or 2.5"

With the ball valves open, the airflow is pretty decent, but virtually no detectable heat
Closing one valve completely, and the other to 20%, i can JUST detect mild warmth.
OAT yesterday probably around 2 degrees at best, air coming out of vent might have been 10-15 at a push with virtually no flow

It's clearly the design of the heat exchange/exhaust muff that is rubbish, it has so little contact with the exhaust pipe.
It looks like two 5 inch long stainless pipes welded at a 15 degree angle. The angle has then been cut away to fit over the exhaust.

So.... what to do? Can anyone recommend where I can get a ready made muff that will perform better, or do i need to have one made?

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
-Carl.
[quote]

arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Jabiru-List
p://forums.matronics.com
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics Jabiru-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Jabiru-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Jabiru-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: