Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AeroElectric-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 11/20/12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ameyer(at)mil-amax.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: AeroElectric-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 11/20/12 Reply with quote

Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: HF antenna issues

At 04:22 PM 11/19/2012, you wrote: >Bob and all. >I'm trying to insulate an aircraft's wiring from the rfi/emi effects >of an HF antenna in a fibreglass Long-EZs wing. A counterpoise to >the antenna will lie in the opposite wing. > >I had thought of using a grounded (?) copper conduit for all the >wing wiring ... fuel tank capacitance gauge/strobe and navigation >lighting/vhf nav-com cables, but with an output of 100W I am worried >that the in-wing HF antenna will set up a field that will still cause issues.

There's a VERY high probability for that condition. Keeping HF out of the electro-whizzies on a metal airplane can be a challenge. There's no hard-and-fast rules for an installation that's not first researched in the lab and then vetted over a series of successful field installations.

The question to be asked first is, so it interferes with SOME things. Does this interference create a hazard? So gauges don't read right while your talking but are okay when you're listening.

A/P servos trying to turn the airplane upside down are problematic. You'd attack that problem with shielding and filtering local to the actuator.

Quote:
There is still the case of using a common ground for the existing >wiring and the new radio causing problems. > >Any thoughts on a suitable insulator or solution to this?

It's not an issue of 'grounding' but of the potential susceptibility of all the victims to stresses they were never qualified for. Conduits and special grounds are of limited if any value. Suggest you get it all installed and then attack each critical condition one-at-a-time.

Bob . . .

A great resource might be looking back to see what Rodie Rodewald did on his Long-EZ (N1344T) back in '82 when he flew from Hawaii to Oshkosh... I now own the airplane, but his article in the canards pusher covered his HD radio issues. I unfortunately am lacking many of the specifics, but the article does talk about it at length. Drop me an email if you can't find it.

Regards,

Andy

Meyer  kc    135     at.   Gmail.    Com

Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: