Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EGT/CHT's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPPalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: EGT/CHT's Reply with quote

Hi Chuck:

We've pretty much covered what could have been wrong with your engine... one thing I'd be curious to know, that would give some insight... do you have mulitprobe CHT/EGT and were you able to sneak a glance during any of this?

Mike <><

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: EGT/CHT's Reply with quote

Hi,
  For the first 100 hours or so of running the engine, I borrowed a portable engine probe to monitor the cylinders and found them all to be close. After doing that, I installed only single probes on the hottest cylinder.
  Since the incident I have put another fifteen hours on the engine. At cruise the engine appears to be running smooth. But I find I have to make slight adjustments to the mixture and prop control. The idle appears to be rougher than usual, especially when I get it down around 1,100 RPM.
 I read an article about induction leaks. The article said that at 650/750 RPM an engine should only be pulling 10 inches of manifold pressure. Mine pulls 15 inches at 850 RPM and the engine wants to quit. When I manage to get it to 650 RPM the manifold pressure shoots up to 18/20 inches and just about quits. I am sure the low rpm mixture is set right.
      My return trip back from Washington was a white knuckle trip. To avoid building thunderstorms, I had to fly the whole return trip on top an over cast over the Blue Ridge Mountains all the way back to Atlanta. Just as I reached the Harris VOR  Fight control advised that I land at the nearest airport because of thunderstorms and blinding heavy rain. "Blinding rain" rain was a first for me. Several aircraft were just circling out side the system and watching it on their storm scopes. I had to land because I only had a few gallons left in my main tank and my header had only 5 1/2 gallons.  

Chuck Raymond

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

d.michaud(at)web.de

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: EGT/CHT's Reply with quote

I have a Glasair III with composite prop at idle it has problems to run
smoothly,do you have a composite prop also .
Dave

Craymondw(at)aol.com schrieb:

Quote:
Hi,
For the first 100 hours or so of running the engine, I borrowed a
portable engine probe to monitor the cylinders and found them all to
be close. After doing that, I installed only single probes on the
hottest cylinder.
Since the incident I have put another fifteen hours on the engine.
At cruise the engine appears to be running smooth. But I find I have
to make slight adjustments to the mixture and prop control. The idle
appears to be rougher than usual, especially when I get it down around
1,100 RPM.
I read an article about induction leaks. The article said that at
650/750 RPM an engine should only be pulling 10 inches of manifold
pressure. Mine pulls 15 inches at 850 RPM and the engine wants to
quit. When I manage to get it to 650 RPM the manifold pressure shoots
up to 18/20 inches and just about quits. I am sure the low rpm mixture
is set right.
My return trip back from Washington was a white knuckle trip. To
avoid building thunderstorms, I had to fly the whole return trip on
top an over cast over the Blue Ridge Mountains all the way back to
Atlanta. Just as I reached the Harris VOR Fight control advised that
I land at the nearest airport because of thunderstorms and blinding
heavy rain. "Blinding rain" rain was a first for me. Several aircraft
were just circling out side the system and watching it on their storm
scopes. I had to land because I only had a few gallons left in my main
tank and my header had only 5 1/2 gallons.

Chuck Raymond

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: EGT/CHT's Reply with quote

I have a Hartzel metal prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: