Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownLJ(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

CCI VG’s on the Avid Flyer STOL
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This is a report of my findings using CCI VG’s on the Avid Flyer STOL wing aircraft.

Background:
The aircraft is an Avid Flyer TD STOL wing with a Rotax 582, 3:1 gearbox, Culver 74x48 prop. Built according to the kit/plans with no modifications except for “Grove” landing gear. (heavier) Published allowable center of gravity is 11.185 to 16.5. This aircraft was at 13.5”. Designed stall speed at approximately 900lbs in flight weight is 32.5 mph.
The landing characteristics of this airplane were such that in order to affect a comfortable flare, power and additional speed was required beyond what I consider to be normal. In addition, there was insufficient nose up trim available on approach. On take-off, it was evident that the wings could fly sooner, but the airplane would not lift off. The tail could not be brought up before lift off speed, and would take off quicker from the 3-point attitude. The stall characteristics were such that when the airplane was gradually slowed to minimum speed, the airplane would sink, well above the designed wing stall speed. (Not with standing of course that indicated airspeed is most inaccurate at high angle of attack) The wing would not “break” at the stall, as most wings will. When the nose of the aircraft was “lobed” up and speed was allowed to bleed rapidly, the wing would exhibit traditional stall characteristics. It was determined that the elevator was not working sufficiently.
After discussion with the designer of the aircraft, the center of gravity was moved to the published aft limit of 16.5” with the assurance that the aircraft was tested well beyond the published limit. For reasons of liability at that time, the published limit was set very conservatively. The aircraft was tested beyond 19.0”, which can be safely used. (37% mac) The change in center of gravity helped considerably, but still not sufficient. Further to the designer’s recommendation, the elevator area was increased approximately 15% by extending the elevator aft. There is no room physically to change the horizontal stabilizer angle of incidence. Short of making a new one, modifications were complete.
The flying characteristics at this point were much improved as measured by the following: A much shorter take off ground roll, the tail could be raised on take off with full flaps; almost sufficient elevator trim was available on approach with full flaps; and power off, full flap approaches could be safely made at normal speeds. The stall characteristics were similar, but at a slower indicated airspeed. Almost content with the airplane, but still not to the standard of performance that I thought it was capable of. I followed the studies of vortex generators.
In the pursuit of finding the truth of if and how VGs would enhance performance, I read many studies and opinions. Some say that they help, others called it snake oil, etc. Art at CCI (http://www.vortexgenerator.net) was not in a hurry to sell me anything, but offered me aerodynamic and physics proofs and rebuttals. To say that he was patient is a huge understatement. Finally, he managed to overcome my skepticism, and I ordered a set with a money back guarantee. Art was first concerned about getting more lift from the tail, and we placed the VGs per his instructions on the flat surfaced (non airfoil) horizontal stab.
The results of the VGs on the stab were nothing short of incredible and better result than the sum of what was done before this point. The tail was now producing more lift at all angles of attach. Subjectively, the tail felt more “alive”. The take off run was even shorter, with the tail coming off the ground with the application of power. The increase of lift was objectively measured by comparing the neutral trim, hands off, level altitude minimum speed with and without the VG’s on the tail surface. A 10mph slower speed could hold level altitude with the VGs on. This was a dramatic increase in tail effectiveness. So much so, that I was able to remove 5# of ballast and move the CG .80” forward and have the same control feel. The stick position was physically further forward at all speeds, thus proving the elevators were working more effectively. The trim was effective at approach speed even with the cg further forward. (.5” cg change affects a considerable difference in this aircraft) The stall characteristics were such that the wing would stall at a higher angle, a noticeably slower IAS, and much more aft stick movement remained during the stall. Art then wanted to test the effectiveness of stabilizer end plates. There was a small subjective gain in effectiveness, but no objective, measurable results could be recorded. Most likely this was due to installation error inherent in the airspeed system. In addition to the enhanced low speed qualities, an unexpected gain in normal cruise speed of approximately 11% was attained. The top speed was approximately the same, but this is due to the large drag caused by the undercamber of the STOL wing. The airplane reaches a drag point similar to mach drag, in which the airplane will not accelerate above, or in the case of the Avid Stol, a disproportional increase in power only yields a minute increase in speed. It is not practical to fly at this speed. However; in the normal cruise range with a cruise rpm of 5400 yielded 84 mph with the vg’s on the tail. Without the vgs, the same rpm yielded 74mph. This is explained by the efficiencies of the tail.
The next step was to install VG’s on the wing. Research shows that there is a wide range of “ideal” or “sweet spot” placement with respect to percentage of wing cord. Experience gained from others suggest that in a range from 4% to 12%, one would find that spot. CCI suggested 10% as a starting point. I initially placed them as per the supplied directions except I started at 7% and planned to move forward to 4% then aft to 10% to test the effectiveness. The results of the VG’s at 7% were immediately noticeable. The take-off roll was shorter. In slow flight, the stall occurred at a much higher angle of attach and the IAS was 5 mph slower. Again, I caution putting much emphasis in IAS, especially at high AOA due to position error. There is no argument that the AOA was much higher than ever before, and the airspeed needle was slower than previous witnessed. At 75+% power the nose attitude was extremely high and could remain this way flying at the verge of the stall. The Avid has “flaperons” which trail the wing. They are always flying, even in a stall. Therefore a subjective opinion of aileron control cannot be rendered. The Avid does not spin well and enters into a spiral instantly, so fast that I choose not to spin. I did fly a spin series, hoping that due to the higher AOA that was possible, it may spin. Unfortunately the spin qualities did not change, and with rudder application and a pivot of the wings, it becomes unstalled and spirals picking up speed very rapidly. Thus I still don’t spin.
There was a gain in airspeed at the high end. It appears that the “stol wing drag point” was been changed to a higher speed. The old “aerodynamic drag point” is now easily overcome. I also noticed by way of control feel, and wing attitude that the center of pressure is moved forward on the wing. I replaced 5# in the tail to the original CG.
The airplane was designed to be flown STOL. Dean Wilson designed the flaperons to enhance this ability. I use full flaperons for all take off and landings. I have landed with complete control in 20+ mph direct crosswinds with no problems. (grass strip) The VG’s do not detract from landing control nor do they negatively affect any of the flight characteristics. I am completely satisfied with the VG’s and help from CCI. Due to the satisfaction with the results, and my too busy schedule, I have not changed the VG placement from 7%. I would still like to, but it has to take a lower priority for the time being.

Please feel free to contact me for further information. I heartily endorse CCI VG’s (http://www.vortexgenerator.net) if you want to fly the Avid the way it was made to fly!

Larry Martin
My93Avid(at)yahoo.com (My93Avid(at)yahoo.com)

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

At 03:45 PM 4/11/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Art was first concerned about getting more lift from the tail, and
we placed the VGs per his instructions on the flat surfaced (non
airfoil) horizontal stab.

Larry,
Thank you for the great report. Where did you place the VG's
on the stab?

Thanks,
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Clem Nichols

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Top or bottom side?

Clem Nichols
Do Not Archive
---

CrownLJ(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Guy,

I don't want to be uncooperative, and my only stake in this is a set of free VGs for doing the experimenting. Please understand that Art (CCI) is a business and desires to keep spacing propitiatory. His instructions has all the information needed.
I'm happy to report that it works very well and is money well spent; especially in the tail improvements!

Larry

At 03:45 PM 4/11/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Art was first concerned about getting more lift from the tail, and
we placed the VGs per his instructions on the flat surfaced (non
airfoil) horizontal stab.

Larry,
Thank you for the great report. Where did you place the VG's
on the stab?

Thanks,
Guy Buchanan

[quote][b]

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

At 07:19 AM 4/12/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I don't want to be uncooperative, and my only stake in this is a set of free VGs for doing the experimenting.

Larry, you might want to clarify this with the list. It wasn't clear from your previous post that you were compensated for your efforts.

Quote:
Please understand that Art (CCI) is a business and desires to keep spacing propitiatory. His instructions has all the information needed.

I understand. I was really asking whether they were on the bottom or top. And anyway, VG spacing can never be proprietary, unless you plan to only fly at night out of Area 51! Wink Anyone who sees your aircraft at a fly-in will be able to replicate your placing. The reason I would pay Art for his VG's are for his parts and service.

Quote:
I'm happy to report that it works very well and is money well spent; especially in the tail improvements!

I'm glad. Unfortunately my interest will have to wait further information on the wing, as I do not see the difficulties you had with your stab.

Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar. [quote][b]

smokey_bear_40220(at)yaho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Hey Clem,

Your computer date is off again. ha ha You are way
back in May of '03.

Hope the Spring storms haven't been too bad for you,

Kurt
--- Clem Nichols <cnichols(at)scrtc.com> wrote:

Quote:
Top or bottom side?

Clem Nichols
Do Not Archive

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Clem Nichols

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Thanks, Kurt. Another crash and another re-boot with the default values. A
local computer whiz is building me a new tower with all the bells and
whistles including Windows Vista, and was supposed to deliver it one day
this week, but it hasn't gotten here yet. Hopefully I can finish this
message and send it before I have to do another re-boot. That process
requires sitting here beside the computer and nursing it along past a couple
of glitches. Very frustrating. We were fortunate in having no wind damage
here, but much of the green which was appearing on the landscape has turned
brown thanks to the freezing weather. I'm just glad I don't have a bunch of
money invested in an orchard as this years fruit crop in Kentucky is
probably going to be a wipeout.

I'm still in the process of getting my little Rans S14 ready for an
airworthiness inspection. I can't remember whether I told you or not, but a
mechanic for UPS who is a DAR and lives only about 25 miles from here (Mark
Cottrell) is going to do the job for me. I've spoken with him by phone a
couple of times, and he sounds like a pretty reasonable ol' country boy. I
got the EAA packet which does a good job of guiding you through the process.
Hopefully I'll get it right the first time.

Thanks for the heads-up on the time and date. Stay in touch.

Clem
---

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Larry, this is one some of the most well written data that I've seen yet regarding VGs and is exactly what I've been waiting to see before I make the move to installing some on my S5. One thing, you stated you had a ten mph increase in cruise with just the VGs on the HZ. What happened when you installed them on the wings? How, if any, did it affect your cruise airspeed?
Great report and one that I'm definitely keeping.
Deke

[quote]
CCI VG’s on the Avid Flyer STOL

This is a report of my findings using CCI VG’s on the Avid Flyer STOL wing aircraft.

Background:
The aircraft is an Avid Flyer TD STOL wing with a Rotax 582, 3:1 gearbox, Culver 74x48 prop. Built according to the kit/plans with no modifications except for “Grove” landing gear. (heavier) Published allowable center of gravity is 11.185 to 16.5. This aircraft was at 13.5”. Designed stall speed at approximately 900lbs in flight weight is 32.5 mph.
...snip

[b]

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Larry,
Thanks for the good info. I have been waiting on VG’s until I was pretty familiar with my plane. Your great report has got me going.

Randy

Do not archive

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Martin
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 11:11 AM
To: fox5flyer(at)idealwifi.net
Subject: Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL

Deke,

The cruise speed remained +10 with the vgs on the wing. I usually cruise (stol wing - no where to go) at 5400 rpm (582/3:1 box) and I always had a comfortable 74 ias. Now, I can hold 74 with only 4900-5000 rpm. Setting 5400 puts it at 85 ias, but with the stol wing, the drag is already starting to build at this speed. The gain in speed comes from the tail now doing its job, and allowing the wing to do its.

Larry
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

I am keeping a copy of your report too Larry. Great
job! You got the kind of gains VG's should provide,
though it seems most were gained from your tail
installation.

I think VG's can provide a significant drag reduction
on a lot of planes, homebuilts and store bought, if we
just experimented more with them. Looking at a
friend's Aztec made me think those engine cowls have
to be draggy and could use VG's to gain some speed.

I might try some on my lower cowling to enhance
cooling too.

These little devices can have a lot of beneficial
applications.

Thanks for the report,

Kurt S. S-5

--- Larry Martin <CrownLJ(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Quote:
Deke,

The cruise speed remained +10 with the vgs on the
wing. I usually cruise (stol wing - no where to go)
at 5400 rpm (582/3:1 box) and I always had a
comfortable 74 ias. Now, I can hold 74 with only
4900-5000 rpm. Setting 5400 puts it at 85 ias, but
with the stol wing, the drag is already starting to
build at this speed. The gain in speed comes from
the tail now doing its job, and allowing the wing to
do its.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

I figured as much Clem,

But it was an opportunity to write you again, if just
to bug you, ha ha.

My computer is screwing up lately too. One of my
cleanup programs seems to be attacking my word
processor and a few other things it thinks are bad. I
am trying to not to lose documents over it, but have
no time to fix it right now.

My cousin and her hubby just left after being here for
4 days. I needed the entertainment break, but now I
am behind and have to catch up again. The good news
is the house got cleaned and better organized. The
bad news is I slept on the couch because the rest of
the house isn't furnished yet. One day... I mean,
aaaa "I have a dream..."

Well, back to catching up some more. I am no where
near working on my plane yet. Poor thing. And my
flying skills are not getting excercise either. Sad

Kurt

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Great report Larry!
Guy - HStab VGs typically go on the lower surface, but knowing that doesn't really help you. The height, angle, shape, %chord location, and spacing all play a part and those are the proprietary details. VG's aren't that expensive to try and there are multiple suppliers who sell them in both plastic and metal. From there, it gets into all sorts of claims about what is best and I'm glad Larry found what works for him.
Bob

Clem Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Ditto that message, Deke. My EA81 powered model IV is nose-heavy, and even with the gaps on the tail sealed and a 5 pound lead ballast on the tail spring I still have difficulty doing soft 3-pointers even with the stick all the way back. I'm wondering if VG's on the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer wouldn't help that as well as my cruise speed..

Clem Nichols
Do Not Archive
[quote] ---

asq(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Clem,
My plane is pretty much the same bird w/ the same characteristics. Where are you located
Larry Huntley,Dundee,NY
[quote] ---

Clem Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

On I-65 in Central Kentucky, about 20 miles from Mammoth Cave National Park, if that helps.

Do Not Archive
[quote] ---

dafox(at)ckt.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Larry,

Getting the best performance from our Kitfox is always a challenge,
but for the most of all our efforts its hard to surpass whats already been
designed in the airplane. Its been tried and tested to give the best it can
be. There are add on's and upgrades that can help, but some things can
not be improved on. The Rotax 582 Engine was designed for the best
performance, longevity, and longer life to cruise at 5800 RPMs and any-
thing below that was detrimental to the engine, and shortened there lifespan.

David , Kitfox 4-1200 Rotax 912 UL.
          Previous 582, Good engine
          243 hours and never failed
          sold it, got a good price. and
          upgraded to a 912

[quote] ---

skypics

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CCI VG's on the Avid Flyer STOL Reply with quote

Larry:

I have 4,000 on my Avid B STOL and had tried two different brands of VGs and found no significant improvement.

Then my hangar mate installed them on his Pelican and it reduced his flaps up stall speed from 60 MPH to 46 MPH with 400 pounds of pilot and passenger.

So I decided to try the ones he used. They are Stolspeed VGs. They are flexible plastic and are very easy to attach and remove should the need arise.

It took me two hours to install them on the wing.

On the test flight I noticed the same as with the other two brands. With flaps full down (10 degrees on my Avid) there was only a very slight reduction in IAS which could be AOA error.

However, I kept the VGs on and soon noticed, after flying several more hours that, while my flaps down stall didn't change much, my flaps at neutral stall speed dropped from 46 MPH IAS to 41 MPH IAS so that there was little difference in flaps off and on stall speed.

Then I noticed that my typical climb rate increased by 200 FPM and my glide ratio improved.

I fly a lot of back country strips and the VGs will help in getting me into and out of the more challanging strips in Idaho.

Full power stall with a Jabiru 2200, Tennessee 64 x 36 2 blade prop and 10 degrees flap is 29 MPH IND.

Idle stall with flaps is 39 MPH IND.

These VGs were only $100 bucks and I consider the cost worth while.

John M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: