Re: KLX-135A Comm Radio Issue

Subject:    Re: KLX-135A Comm Radio Issue
From:    Christopher Cee Stone (rv8iator@gmail.com)
Date:    Tue Apr 23 - 6:25 AM
I've had a similar experience with failing electrolytic aluminum can caps.
Interesting in that all the failures have been in aluminum radial leaded
caps.  Never have had a failure of axial leaded.  Also the failures were in
power circuits and the voltage rating was near the working voltage.
Nominal circuit voltage of 14 volts used a 25 volt part.
Thanks for your post, another good data point.

Chris
RV-8 x 2, Long EZ

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 10:32=AFPM Gary VanRemortel <garyvanremortel@
gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just a report from the field regarding aging avionics devices with
> electrolytic capacitors.
>
> Like many of you early builders, I installed the Bendix king KLX-135A
> panel mount GPS/Comm when I built my RV-6A S/N 22665 in the mid to late
> '90s.  Electrolytic capacitors have a finite life of somewhere between 20
> and 30yrs regardless of hours of operation.  Over the years the unit had
> performed well, having just the need for a replacement Tadiran battery on
> the Digital Board, new LCD and replacement of the optical sensors on freq
> selector.
>
> Yesterday the unit died on the taxiway, accompanied by the pungent toaste
> fish smell of a fried electrolytic capacitor.  I bought the entire
> operation and maintenance binder for the unit many years ago off Ebay, so
> have all the service info, parts lists, assembly drawings and schematics.
>  Upon disassy C1 (47uF 50V) on the Power Supply Assy had exploded, leavin
> a fried hole nearly all the way thru the PCB and dielectric everywhere.
It
> had clearly shorted.  C1 is the power filter on the DC input power line s
> it charges up every time power is cycled ON.  I repaired the PCB with epo
xy
> and reinstalled a better capacitor with higher voltage rating.  The
> shorting of C1 on the Power Supply PCB took out the axial leaded fuse F1
on
> the comm/receiver PCB and these are readily available from Amazon for abo
ut
> $1 apiece (Littelfuse 251007
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LQSF6NQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product
_details
> )
>
> It may be wise to inspect your unit if yours is as old as mine is.  Blue
> skies.
>
> -GV

Other Matronics Email List Services

  • Post A New Message
  •   RV-List@matronics.com
  • UN/SUBSCRIBE
  •   http://www.matronics.com/subscription
  • List FAQ
  •   http://www.matronics.com/FAQ/RV-List.htm
  • Full Archive Search Engine
  •   http://www.matronics.com/search
  • 7-Day List Browsing
  •   http://www.matronics.com/browse
  • Browse the List Digests
  •   http://www.matronics.com/digest
  • Live Online Chat!
  •   http://www.matronics.com/chat
  • Archive Downloading
  •   http://www.matronics.com/archives
  • Photo Share
  •   http://www.matronics.com/photoshare
  • Other Email Lists
  •   http://www.matronics.com/emaillists
  • Contributions
  •   http://www.matronics.com/contributions

    These Email List Services are sponsored solely by Matronics and through the generous contributions of its members.

    -- Please support this service by making your Contribution today! --