Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nose Wheel Fairing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

All;

After talking a lot with Rich, I decided to make a nose wheel fairing for my airplane similar to the one he has on his TR-1. It goes around the 2" nose wheel tube, extending about 6" to the rear making it a little more aerodynamic. We make a cutout from cardboard then used the cardboard cutout to make an aluminum mold. The using this mold, we used a layer of glass for the actual fairing. After consulting with Rich, we glued the fairing to the tube using silicone sealant.

The hole where the 2" tube enters the boot is very big and can't be made any smaller. We built an "air-dam" in front of the hole slightly taller that the fairing so air would flow up and around it. We made sure nothing was binding with the boot by turning it from one side to the other for about 160 degrees of rotation.

I will be doing some flight testing soon before I paint the boot and fairing. I don't expect a significant increase in performance, but any little bit helps. I can say that I really like how it came out especially since it gave the airplane a completely different look.

I posted pictures on my web page in the Airplane Upgrades album: http://puertoricoflyer.com/puerto_rico_flyer_004.htm
Also, I am returning permanently to the States very soon. I am taking advantage of being here to do as many upgrades I can. Having Rich and some former PULSAR employees available to consult/guide/help/do the work has been GREAT. THANKS RICH! ;o)

Galin
N819PR
[quote][b]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

Galen, It looks great. I like the strut fairing too. Look froward to hearing the performance numbers. Larry
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

Bills in the mail galien

--- On Sun, 1/10/10, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Nose Wheel Fairing
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 10:27 AM

All;

After talking a lot with Rich, I decided to make a nose wheel fairing for my airplane similar to the one he has on his TR-1. It goes around the 2" nose wheel tube, extending about 6" to the rear making it a little more aerodynamic. We make a cutout from cardboard then used the cardboard cutout to make an aluminum mold. The using this mold, we used a layer of glass for the actual fairing. After consulting with Rich, we glued the fairing to the tube using silicone sealant.

The hole where the 2" tube enters the boot is very big and can't be made any smaller. We built an "air-dam" in front of the hole slightly taller that the fairing so air would flow up and around it. We made sure nothing was binding with the boot by turning it from one side to the other for about 160 degrees of rotation.

I will be doing some flight testing soon before I paint the boot and fairing. I don't expect a significant increase in performance, but any little bit helps. I can say that I really like how it came out especially since it gave the airplane a completely different look.

I posted pictures on my web page in the Airplane Upgrades album: http://puertoricoflyer.com/puerto_rico_flyer_004.htm
Also, I am returning permanently to the States very soon. I am taking advantage of being here to do as many upgrades I can. Having Rich and some former PULSAR employees available to consult/guide/help/do the work has been GREAT. THANKS RICH! ;o)

Galin
N819PR
Quote:

[quote][b]

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

The strut fairing really changed how the aircraft looks.

Galin
N819PR

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Larry David <lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com (lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
[quote] Galen,  It looks great.  I like the strut fairing too.  Look froward to hearing the performance numbers.  Larry
[quote] ---

bakerocb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

1/11/2010

Hello Fellow Builders, Attached are pictures of my version of a nose wheel
strut fairing and nose wheel pant for my KIS TR-1.

This arrangement was created from a Glastar nose landing gear strut fairing
and a Van's nose landing gear wheel pant.

'OC' Says: "The best investment we can make is the effort to gather and
understand knowledge."

100_0301.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  730.18 KB
 Viewed:  6820 Time(s)

100_0301.jpg

100_0303.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  693.03 KB
 Viewed:  6820 Time(s)

100_0303.jpg

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

Hello 'OC',

They look very nice!

Have you had a fellow pilot take a picture or look to see that the wheel
pant is exactly in trail when in flight? I understand some are offset by the
prop blast. If yours is, it might be creating drag from air going into the
pant past the strut fairing?

Tim

---

bakerocb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

1/11/2010

Hello Tim, You wrote:

1) "They look very nice!"

Thank you.

2) "Have you had a fellow pilot take a picture or look to see that the wheel
pant is exactly in trail when in flight?"

Not yet.

3) "I understand some are offset by the prop blast. If yours is, it might be
creating drag from air going into the pant past the strut fairing?"

Could be. My nose wheel steering swivel is very stiff so I kind of doubt
that the prop blast could displace it. More than likely it will remain
pointed in the direction it was in when the nose wheel lifted off.

But supposing one determined that an offset nose wheel pant was an ongoing
problem. How would one correct that? There was a KIS plane (maybe a 4
placer) at Sun n' Fun several years ago that had two long bungees going from
points on each side of the fuselage to the aft end of the nose wheel pant. I
suppose the idea was to keep the nose wheel pant centered while airborne.
Looked a bit tacky and would not work with my stiff swiveling nose gear.

understand knowledge."

PS: I have sort of a vague scheme in mind to seal off both the vertical and
horizontal openings in the front of that wheel pant, but not a strong enough
motivation to do so yet.

=====================================================

---

mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

Nice jobs, OC and Galin.

If the nose wheel is free to swivel in the airflow will it not adopt the
position of least drag?

Thanks

Mike

T
---

bakerocb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

1/11/2010

Hello Mike, That least drag positioning for a free swiveling nose wheel
makes sense to me.

I guess you could postulate a scenario where the high power prop wash is
enough to displace the nose wheel and pant sideways immediately after
takeoff and climb out, but then the swiveling torque required is such that
when the engine power is reduced to a cruise setting that the nose wheel and
pant remains deflected into the airstream and creates more drag than needed
while in cruise.

I have seen nose wheel pants with a little fin on the rear end presumably to
fair the wheel pant into the prevailng airstream where ever it might be
coming from.

understand knowledge."

=================================================
---

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Nose Wheel Fairing Reply with quote

This is what the Piper Cherokee has on it's nose wheel. With our free castoring nosewheel it should try to weathervane into the position of least resistance.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM, <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> KIS-List message posted by: <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)>

1/11/2010
Hello Mike, That least drag positioning for a free swiveling nose wheel makes sense to me.

I guess you could postulate a scenario where the high power prop wash is enough to displace the nose wheel and pant sideways immediately after takeoff and climb out, but then the swiveling torque required is such that when the engine power is reduced to a cruise setting that the nose wheel and pant remains deflected into the airstream and creates more drag than needed while in cruise.

I have seen nose wheel pants with a little fin on the rear end presumably to fair the wheel pant into the prevailng airstream where ever it might be coming from.

'OC' Says: "The best investment we can make is the effort to gather and understand knowledge."
========================
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: