Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing Pin “Play”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Wing Pin “Play” Reply with quote

My rear wing pin (wing root, near trailing edge) has a tiny amount of play, as if it is “rocking” within it’s thread. It also rotates a few degrees either side of vertical. The pin should be held within its threads by Redux 420 or Loctite 243: perhaps rigging forces have disturbed this bond? As far as I can determine, the surrounding wing reinforcing structure is sound. For info, I have the original “classic” foam wings, and have both Mod 52 (gross weight increase) and Mod 74 (rear wing attachment reinforcement) embodied. Mod 74 calls for a washer and nyloc nut to be fitted to the rear of the pin: this makes pin removal impossible short of digging into the wing itself to access the nut. However, this suggests to me that the pin is still able to withstand the drag and anti-drag forces. Questions: do others have similar play in the wing pins? Is it acceptable? Any repair ideas?

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
JDA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing Pin “Play” Reply with quote

Update to my wobbly rear wing pin issue (the metal pin on the wing root behind the main spar)... It was "rocking" slightly within its thread. MOD 52 and MOD 74 had been carried out. I spoke to Andy Draper who deduced that the Loctite had either failed, or insufficient had originally been applied. He said that it was probably not significant structurally but might be a fretting issue. He recommended applying a "wicking" loctite to the thread which should penetrate by capillary action - rig before it sets!

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: