Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FOD CHECK~!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomjohnson(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: FOD CHECK~! Reply with quote

Time for the semi-annual FOD check.
Flashlight and mirror and eyeballs in the hellhole.
Who gets the prize for the most atrocious piece of FOD they discover?
Tj
---------------------------
Thomas Johnson
Airpower Insurance, LLC
36 West Ocotillo Road
Phoenix, AZ 85013-1235
Tel: 602-628-2701
Fax: 623-321-5843
E: tomjohnson(at)cox.net

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
jsfox(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: FOD CHECK~! Reply with quote

On Jan 4, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Tom Johnson wrote:
Quote:

Who gets the prize for the most atrocious piece of FOD they discover?

Not sure this worthy of a prize, but right now searching for a nob off my transponder that came floating by my head mid loop the other day.
Steve "SOB" Fox
Yak 52
N3043R
http://homepage.mac.com/steve.fox/PhotoAlbum5.html

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: FOD CHECK~! Reply with quote

I am not sure this qualifies as FOD... but....
I purchased my YAK-50 in 1999, and soon afterwards was happily learning the capabilities of my new airplane.  The one thing that bothered me was that I had a really hard time holding the aircraft from entering a spin when performing simple high angle of attack slow flight.  The aircraft would BREAK very quickly and enter a spin.  I could not "walk it around" using rudder like I could every other aircraft I had every flown.  I attributed this to it being a "hot aircraft" and thought no more about it, other than to watch my butt during slow flight. 
Working into the spin regimes, the airplane kept doing things that were unexpected and sometimes pretty darn violent.  Still the light did not go off in my head.
A year later, while working on a tail-wheel shimmy problem, I found a 15 POUND LEAD WEIGHT mounted in the tail of the aircraft where it was impossible to see unless you removed the fairings on the elevator.  This weight was actually MOUNTED with bolts in the aircraft so thus it does not really qualify as FOD in my mind....   Never-the-less, there was no log book entry for this "modification", and no apparent reason for it, other than it is well known that with an aft CG, an aircraft will SNAP much better than with a forward CG.  I can only imagine this was what some one had in mind. 
Removing this "item" from my aircraft resulted in a dramatic change in how it flew, making it much more normal and predictable as you can imagine.  I never did do the math on how far out my CG was... but it had to be so much that I really don't want to ever know about it anyway. 
Mark Bitterlich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: